turbonator's 1978 k30 plowtruck build thread... - Page 33 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree534Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #321 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccr View Post
esab has a good name but f me that's pricey. I would buy a Hobart 140 in a second , that's what mine was, great machine. I could see what we can get ya.
its kind of a moot point, being that we dont have the ching-ching right now to drop on anything, have a look and see what comes up just the same, what ever it is, it would be nice if its a semi pro machine, with a decent duty cycle... tired of canadian tire welders...LOL..... probably just going to buy a new gun and cable from weldingcity on ebay, a new roller for the feeder, and do a nice new ground cable... plus the monthy clean-out/vacuum shot and see what it gives... at the very least its ready to go back to the owner all fixed up..... oh yeah, almost forgot, would still like to be able to weld with flux core when i need to, so the ability to switch the polarity...

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....

Last edited by turbonator; 12-07-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #322 (permalink)
happypunch
Diesel Expert

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

It's tough finding something with a high duty cycle that doesnt cost a small fortune. I'm hoping to pick up a small dc stick/tig machine come spring. Not a lot that 7018 can't fix

A few years ago I picked up a harbor freight flux core welder for super cheap (divorce, so the lady was just liquidating stuff to piss off her ex). Anyway, I figured what the hell, its cheap and crappy, but might prove useful on small stuff... nope! It's an A/C welder with flux core... Really need to run DC for that. Have seen people rig up a DC converter and capacitor to make it go from a rusty turd to an near equivalent to a normal $200 name brand welder. Almost bought the stuff for it until I tried it again and can't even get the wire feed to be remotely steady. oh well, only paid like $50 for it and a whole bunch of extra stuff including a decent hood.

3.73's With 285/75/16's

Gave it another chance at life and enjoying every minute

Last edited by happypunch; 12-07-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #323 (permalink)
mccr
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Any good mig welder will have the ability to reverse the polarity .
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #324 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Any good mig welder will have the ability to reverse the polarity .
X2 most of the POS Chinese Princess Auto machines do and any Hobart I looked at.
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 12-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #325 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

You have to reverse the polarity to swap from gas to flux core.
90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Old 12-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #326 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonator View Post
heres the mig we are looking at, going to phone the machine shop to get a price tomorrow, also, need to phone the big-boss down in florida to make arrangements to charge it on his account.... to be re-paid with sweat equity next summer... this is not cast instone, but want to change out the mig before its truly finished......
pics, its an esab caddy 200i...
pulled the trigger this morning, and the ESAB is on its way, talked to the big-boss down in florida, and he cleared it too charge on the account at the machine shop, he asked if it was the best value for the buck, and i told him its the best small mig ESAB sells(its actually the only small one they sell...), so when it arrives, we will plug it in, and try it out, and let you guys know how she performs...

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

jim&jeff....
Old 12-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #327 (permalink)
mccr
Diesel Champ

The ones we can get through our supplier are Mountian, I think thay are china crap so didn't bother getting a price.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #328 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

Quote:
The ones we can get through our supplier are Mountian, I think thay are china crap so didn't bother getting a price.
does mountain sell a plasma that can cut up to 1/2" thick plate? this would be handy, and i could care less if its china-craft.... probably just with our buggy contract this winter we could pay one...

jim&jeff....
Old 12-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #329 (permalink)
happypunch
Diesel Expert

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I've been looking into Everlast products. They are made in China but are supposed to be pretty good and a lot less expensive than the big name brands (who pretty much also make stuff in China).

That thing can cut up to 1.25"
3.73's With 285/75/16's

Gave it another chance at life and enjoying every minute
Old 12-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #330 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
I've been looking into Everlast products. They are made in China but are supposed to be pretty good and a lot less expensive than the big name brands (who pretty much also make stuff in China).

Everlast PowerPlasma 60S Everlast PowerPlasma 60S plasma cutter 60a 60amp Cutting System, green - Power Plasma Cutters - Amazon.com

That thing can cut up to 1.25"
we checked them also, found it to be a PIA to get them to bring in machines from the US to the canadian seller...... might do a check around with them again here before to long....

jim&jeff....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in