Need foolproof instructions on changing fuel filters - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
6.2 Gal
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Need foolproof instructions on changing fuel filters

I plan on changing them tomorrow and do not want any drama

Should the engine be warm? Tank full? Does the order matter, primary then secondary? Fill both with just diesel fuel?

100,000 miles on replaced engine

Tranny is a 700R4 and rebuilt...keep your fingers crossed for me

Gently treated and rarely used to pull anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

fill them both, take out a few glows on each side, turn the engine until mist comes out from the glow plug holes(you might need to let air out of filters with bleeder screw), reinstall and start.... if you are running mechanical fuel pump, this method works well, if you have an electric pump, you can just let air from the bleeder screw on filter, and crank... be careful not to crank to long, crank, rest, crank, rest.. no longer than 10-15 seconds of cranking, then let the starter cool for 20-30 seconds...

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
JCDiesel
Let's take the Truck!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

I think your 83 has spin on filters. If you have a vacuum pump at the rear you need to pull it (15mm) to get the secondary filter out which is mounted on the intake manifold. I use a siphon to fill my filters from the tank then install. You have to carry them like the egg in the spoon thing. Some guys fill the new filters with the fuel from the old ones but i dont dig that. Turbo says pull glows but i have had luck with filling my filters and just running the air out. Also if your truck is set up like my 82 and you are running a mechanical pump dont open the bleeder on the primary (larger) filter because it will just suck air in. For some reason the fuel feed runs from the tank straight to the primary filter then down to the mechanical pump on the block then back up to the secondary filter. Stupid right. Anyways if you have an electric lift pump youll be on easy street, good luck. BTW I was on vacation last week on the gulf side. Could have helped you out if you posted a week earlier
82 C10 2WD 6.2 Parts Truck
91 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.2 Bad Transmission
85 Cadillac Deville factory 4.3 Oldsmobile Diesel
91 GMC Sierra K1500 6.2 NA Bad Transmission
94 K3500 CC DRW 6.5TD All the normal stuff done. DE exhaust Custom Parker Racor Rust free beauty
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
my guess would be shocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacalips View Post
Even the guys who own them aren't 5.7 guys.

Last edited by JCDiesel; 12-23-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
6.2 Gal
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonator View Post
fill them both, take out a few glows on each side, turn the engine until mist comes out from the glow plug holes(you might need to let air out of filters with bleeder screw), reinstall and start.... if you are running mechanical fuel pump, this method works well, if you have an electric pump, you can just let air from the bleeder screw on filter, and crank... be careful not to crank to long, crank, rest, crank, rest.. no longer than 10-15 seconds of cranking, then let the starter cool for 20-30 seconds...

Yes, I have a mechanical pump but I can not take out any glow plugs

I have been using plug-in cord for months because GPs are stuck and I'm too afraid of breakage to let anyone remove them. Still looking for someone competent. But that's another story

Old 12-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
6.2 Gal
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDiesel View Post
I think your 83 has spin on filters. If you have a vacuum pump at the rear you need to pull it (15mm) to get the secondary filter out which is mounted on the intake manifold. I use a siphon to fill my filters from the tank then install. You have to carry them like the egg in the spoon thing. Some guys fill the new filters with the fuel from the old ones but i dont dig that. Turbo says pull glows but i have had luck with filling my filters and just running the air out. Also if your truck is set up like my 82 and you are running a mechanical pump dont open the bleeder on the primary (larger) filter because it will just suck air in. For some reason the fuel feed runs from the tank straight to the primary filter then down to the mechanical pump on the block then back up to the secondary filter. Stupid right. Anyways if you have an electric lift pump youll be on easy street, good luck. BTW I was on vacation last week on the gulf side. Could have helped you out if you posted a week earlier
Yes..mechanical pump. I put diesel in a Gatorade bottle I plan to use

I don't know about a vacuum pump but I think the secondary is behind the air filter. I may change the primary today and do the other another day

Hope you enjoyed your vacation. Good thing I didn't know you were here. My burb would have worked you to exhaustion

Old 12-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
JCDiesel
Let's take the Truck!

Ya secondary is on the back side of the intake behind the air cleaner. Good call on tackle it another day. Next time maybe you'll catch me...
94 K3500 CC DRW 6.5TD All the normal stuff done. DE exhaust Custom Parker Racor Rust free beauty
Quote:
my guess would be shocks
Quote:
Old 12-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

One big tip is to un plug the green wire on the IP, it's the cold advance solenoid and it free's up the return system to speed the air getting out of the filter/fuel system, get it running then simply plug the wire back in.
90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Old 12-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
6.2 Gal
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboytoys View Post
One big tip is to un plug the green wire on the IP, it's the cold advance solenoid and it free's up the return system to speed the air getting out of the filter/fuel system, get it running then simply plug the wire back in.

Can you be a little more specific on where the green wire is? I only know green wires on the Glow Plugs

Old 12-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
JCDiesel
Let's take the Truck!

On the injection pump right in front of the air cleaner. There is one pink and two greens.
Quote:
my guess would be shocks
Quote:
Old 12-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
happypunch
Diesel Expert

here is a small picture that shows where it is. It is labeled with a faint green color that is hard to read, but points it out pretty well.

You don't need to remove the glow plugs, it just makes it easier for the engine to turn over and doesnt drain the batteries as easily. If you pre-fill the filters you will probably be fine just cranking it over. It might take a few tries to get it started and worst case scenario is you might need to put a battery charger on for a bit and then try again.

The last time I changed my fuel filter I filled the filter, installed it and it only took 2 maybe 3 tries to get it started. And I didnt pull any glow plugs either.

Don't worry about it too much, it will go smoothly and then you will be a seasoned pro for next time

3.73's With 285/75/16's

Gave it another chance at life and enjoying every minute

Last edited by happypunch; 12-23-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in