Swap 454 to 6.2 diesel - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
awcforever
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Swap 454 to 6.2 diesel

Hey guys.....Sold my Dmax and decided to jump into a project

I currenlty am driving a 1993 K2500 Suburban with a 454 and 4L80e transmission (SLE Suburban)

I guess my questions are:

Will my 4L80E bolt to the 6.2?

Will I need to change anything in my existing fuel system aside from adding a good water seperator and filter?

Motor mounts......do they need to be fabricated or direct fit?

Lastly.....My engine is TBI so there isn't a crazy amount of electronics, but what will I need for this engine?

Thanks for any help.....I know my old Dmax from front to back, but an old 6.2 may be a learning experience. I assume it can't be any more complicated that the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI's I like working on.

2003 Duramax 2500HD 4x4 ext cab
2004 ext cab 4x4 Silverado with a utility body LLY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Tranny bolts up, you might one to get the properly rated TC, lower stall.

Mounts, can't remember, lol.

You'll need all the diesels accesorries, including the hyrdoboost for the brakes.

Tank wise, pull the fuel pump and extend the line to the bottom of the tank or get diesel senders. You'll need a mechanical fuel pump or I like the Dmax van setup, as you get a pre and post filters and an internal regulated fuel pump. Power for the GP's.

Power wise, you need ONE switched power to the pump if your running the mechanical pump and you need to find a factory computer for the trans or get an aftermarket controller.

Same principle as the Ford's. You'll love the 6.2 if its turbo'd, and you can even make your own fuel,

Are you going to turbo it?

1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluidamper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, Turbonator open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a 60x86mm cast wheel at 15psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo, Aeromotive fuel pump. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO.
2003 VW Wagon 2.0L TDI auto, silver, heavily modified-Wife's.
2004 VW Wagon TDI 5 speed-blue-also modified-Mine!

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, [email protected] mph.

2002 Gold Dmax 4 door, 2500HD 4x4-new camper/trailer hauler-minor mods and a small tow tune!

Last edited by turbovanman; 02-04-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
awcforever
Diesel Starter

Not sure if I'm going turbo yet. I found a free 6.2 with a bad trans and Im going to pick the truck up, but not sure yet about the swap. I've also got a 12v cummins, but that my require too much work.....Not sure exactly where I'm going yet. My 454 is still very nice, but FN gas is getting expensive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

the controller for the transmission won't be a cheap item.
Mounts should be the same.
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 02-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by awcforever View Post
Not sure if I'm going turbo yet. I found a free 6.2 with a bad trans and Im going to pick the truck up, but not sure yet about the swap. I've also got a 12v cummins, but that my require too much work.....Not sure exactly where I'm going yet. My 454 is still very nice, but FN gas is getting expensive.

Not sure if I'd go to all that hassle without a turbo, as your essentially downgrading your power ratings. Sure the 6.2 can get it done if your not in a rush, lol, your not going to save that much in fuel costs unless your making your own.
1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluidamper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, Turbonator open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a 60x86mm cast wheel at 15psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo, Aeromotive fuel pump. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO.
2003 VW Wagon 2.0L TDI auto, silver, heavily modified-Wife's.
2004 VW Wagon TDI 5 speed-blue-also modified-Mine!

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, [email protected] mph.

2002 Gold Dmax 4 door, 2500HD 4x4-new camper/trailer hauler-minor mods and a small tow tune!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
awcforever
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
Not sure if I'd go to all that hassle without a turbo, as your essentially downgrading your power ratings. Sure the 6.2 can get it done if your not in a rush, lol, your not going to save that much in fuel costs unless your making your own.

I don't know....my dad had an old 2wd standard cab 6.2 that was 3 on the tree and he saw a consistent 20-24mpg. Granted thats what he told me, but I would assume with my heavy old burb just getting to 18-20 would a massive improvement from the 8-11 I see now.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
Tranny bolts up, you might one to get the properly rated TC, lower stall.
the 454 torque is the same, but you need the diesel specific flywheel...
Mounts, can't remember, lol.
the mounts are the same...
You'll need all the diesels accesorries, including the hyrdoboost for the brakes. good possibility it already has hydro assist if it is a 2500 or bigger..

Tank wise, pull the fuel pump and extend the line to the bottom of the tank or get diesel senders. You'll need a mechanical fuel pump or I like the Dmax van setup, as you get a pre and post filters and an internal regulated fuel pump. Power for the GP's.
the supply line is the same, no mods needed, but will need to put a return of course, if there is already a return, verify it does not have an obstruction on the bottom end in the tank
Power wise, you need ONE switched power to the pump if your running the mechanical pump and you need to find a factory computer for the trans or get an aftermarket controller. use the power from the distrubutor to run all the keyed accesories, as for the computer, the gassers used almost the identical controller as the manual pumped 6.2l/6.5l trucks, but you will need all the sensors to make it work, there are lots of wiring diagrams in the 4l80e section to help you along

Same principle as the Ford's. You'll love the 6.2 if its turbo'd, and you can even make your own fuel,

Are you going to turbo it?
also you will need the diesel specific throttle cable as the gasser ones are too short, if you want PM us with a shopping list for used pieces and we can help you out...

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....

Last edited by turbonator; 02-04-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
I don't know....my dad had an old 2wd standard cab 6.2 that was 3 on the tree and he saw a consistent 20-24mpg. Granted thats what he told me, but I would assume with my heavy old burb just getting to 18-20 would a massive improvement from the 8-11 I see now.
turbo can come later, the important part is the intial swap, which is cheaper with out going turbo right off the hop... if you are related to any farmers fuel can be had a lot cheaper than the pump....

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Old 02-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
happypunch
Diesel Expert

Quote:

I'm going to go ahead and say that it will be unlikely to get the mileage you are wanting with a n/a 6.2 and your mud tires. I'm not saying it cant be done, but the engine will be a dog without a turbo so you are going to have to have the pedal floored just to get up to speed on the highway (0-60 times are about 22 seconds).

its going to be slow, more than likely piss you off since you are used to a 454 and had a dmax.

a turbo will help a LOT and you can use one off of a 6.5 and make life a lot better.

I have 3.73 gears, 33" toyo a/t tires, .70 overdrive and a gm-3 turbo and the best I have gotten was 18.5 freeway at 75 mph. not too bad. before the turbo I had to bury the throttle much much longer to get up to speed (if i even could) and the very best i ever got was 16.5 mpg with a steady 55 mph. though i was running a 3 speed th350 and smaller tires.

these can be very economical, as long as you can keep out of the go pedal.

but again, dont expect it to be nearly as quick as the 454 or the duramax. you might swap it in and think someone pranked you by filling the back seats with bricks

If you can live with that, then go for it. its a great engine and i love mine, especially after the turbo. that 4l80e will lasts a looong time behind it. and no matter what you will most likely get much better mileage than the 454. even if its only 16mpg, that saves a lot.

DO IT! lol
3.73's With 285/75/16's

Gave it another chance at life and enjoying every minute
Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
awcforever
Diesel Starter

Well guys.......options just opened up **dont hate me **

Found a 1999 Dodge 3500 Cummins dually quad cab 4x4. Body is rusted out and the guy is trying to get $3500. I am pretty sure after speaking with him I can get it for $2500.

In all honesty......no favorites.....will the Cummins swap be worth it since I can attain a great running donor truck?

I lucked out and my uncle is going to allow me his welding shop for any fab work. I mentioned the 6.2 swap and he said cool.
But with that available maybe the old 24v would be a better choice.

I'm a little torn.
6.2 = Straight forward, easy, minimal fabrication, low power
5.9 = Massive amounts of fab work, wiring, headaches, BUT.....high power and better
After market support

It all comes down to $$$ so I guess I have a decision to make. Hmmmmm.......

Last edited by awcforever; 02-05-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in