Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.2L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   Manual High Idle Switch question (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/575289-manual-high-idle-switch-question.html)

caraudiochef 01-29-2014 06:49 PM

Manual High Idle Switch question

Hi all:

Just a quick question. When installing a manual high idle switch (in dash) on a 6.2, do you need to have the cold advance switch powered with the high idol solenoid? Or can i just apply 12v to the solenoid byitself ? Thanks

Ian

sctrailrider 01-29-2014 06:57 PM

You can just power the solenoid..

Diaric 01-29-2014 07:36 PM

Correct.
How I did it. Let the cold advance work auto and hi idle is on a switch so if I'm running the winch it can power the alternator better.

Or you could put a diode on the wire between the advance and idle so both work auto cold, but the switch will override the idle when wanted.

caraudiochef 01-29-2014 08:10 PM

Thanks Guys. I think Ill go the Diode way, what size though should i use?

Diaric 01-29-2014 08:11 PM

I'm not electrical so I don't know. If some one answers, I'll rewire it that way myself.

I know its been stated a few times in regards to other things, but I didn't save the links to find them.

caraudiochef 01-29-2014 11:37 PM

Ok thank you.

Diaric 01-30-2014 01:56 AM

did some searching, may take google for the rest unless Trios wanders by.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trios (Post 4112239)
I have a high idle switch in the cab. The switch is setup to provide power to ONLY the high idle relay so I can use it without effecting the cold advance. I then have a diode between the high idle and cold advance solenoids, so if I don't flip the high idle in the cab, it will still get power from the cold advance solenoid and do its high idle thing until the temp switch turns them both off.

Doing it this way there's no need for an interposing relay; just grab a diode form Radio Shack. I picked up a 3 pack of their biggest n heaviest diode, designed for a rectifier circuit, for like $1.25.

caraudiochef 01-30-2014 04:36 PM

ok thanks, ill head over to radio shack and see what they have.

side question(s): the cold advance is powered through the connection/plug that is on the pass side rear of the block correct? where does that plug receive power from? and is it actually needed, or can i just apply 12v to the cold advance via a swith when its cold out and switch it off after a few minutes? Thanks Ian

Diaric 01-30-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caraudiochef (Post 5679337)
ok thanks, ill head over to radio shack and see what they have.

side question(s): the cold advance is powered through the connection/plug that is on the pass side rear of the block correct? where does that plug receive power from? and is it actually needed, or can i just apply 12v to the cold advance via a swith when its cold out and switch it off after a few minutes? Thanks Ian

Yes you can. Ignition power goes to that sensor in the block and when cold, power goes directly to the cold advance/fast idle. When the engine warms, the sensor opens and no more power. It looks exactly the same as the glow plug temp sensor but does not work the same. The glow plug one grounds to the block. The fast idle/advance one is insulated from the block.

caraudiochef 01-31-2014 12:35 AM

once again Thank you very much