Swollen glow plug ? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
bvill01
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Swollen glow plug ?

Changing out glow plugs and one I can't take out pasted threads and just turns any ideas ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
MackManiac
Diesel Boss

carb cleaner, patience, and lots of turns

82 scottsdale K20-6.2J TH400. "Redblock". head swap to late model 6.2 heads, "T"- double square pre cups. .010" victor head gaskets. Duraterm glow plugs, 4648 db2 pump turned up 1/4 turn, Frankenstein crossover pipe, custom 3.5" downpipe to custom 5" exhaust, mack fuel filters, 6.5 lift pump, super ugly boost/pyro gauges. 18cm H1C DONE! H1e 58mm upgrade! 4" lift with 36" bias ply hummer take off's.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
ASPHALTVICTORY
Diesel Expert

J.J.& A Racing makes the perfect tool for it. i bought one cause i had 3 swollen stuck plugs and the way theyr tool works makes it a breeze. its well worth the $100 in my book.

google " J.J.& A Racing glow plug removal tool"

basically you unthread the glow plug slip the tool onto the glow plug and it apply s even outward pulling pressure to it. the glow plug dosent turn the tool dose.

(1987 GMC jimmy v1500 120k on the clock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
chevydiesel
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Recently got the pleasure of this task for myself after reading about it for years.

1) Remove the small injection line retainer screw.

2) Remove the injection line nuts from offending cylinder and cylinder that shares injection line couple from the injectors.

3) Remove injector return lines from offending cylinder's injector.

4) Remove the injector from the cylinder.

5) Observe swollen glow plug tip (feel in there with your finger and also you can see it with a light).

6) Unscrew the plug as far as it will unscrew.

7) Take a piece of napkin/shop towel and shove it in the injector hole inside of the precup so that it is underneath the glowplug and plugs the precup opening's hole into the cylinder.

8) Take a pair of pliers and grab the body of the loose glow plug and bend the glow plug forcefully (you're trying to bend this like you would a piece of wire until it breaks off).

9) After glow plug body breaks off of it's tip, push the glow plug tip inside the precup chamber with a screw driver or piece of wire via the glow plug hole.

10) Retrieve loose glow plug tip from the precup injector opening with a slender pair of needle nose pliers.

11) Retrieve your piece of paper towel from the cylinder.

12) Vaccum out the precup if you have fragments.

13) Blow out the injector hole opening and glow plug openings to remove sut, install injector and glow plug.

14) Re-install return lines and injector lines and injector line retaining screw.

That's it.

Last edited by chevydiesel; 12-16-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

That is a very good description John, thanks for posting it up.....should be in the sticky's for sure......J&J.

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonator View Post
That is a very good description John, thanks for posting it up.....should be in the sticky's for sure......J&J.
Is that a hint? You don't like the start it and rev it way in the FAQ's?
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 12-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
fastjohnny
Diesel Apprentice

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPHALTVICTORY View Post
J.J.& A Racing makes the perfect tool for it. i bought one cause i had 3 swollen stuck plugs and the way theyr tool works makes it a breeze. its well worth the $100 in my book.

google " J.J.& A Racing glow plug removal tool"

basically you unthread the glow plug slip the tool onto the glow plug and it apply s even outward pulling pressure to it. the glow plug dosent turn the tool dose.

Also try Leroy's glowplug removal tool. Works good, and cheaper.

02 GMC extracab 2500HD 4X4 Dmax/Ally flowmaster, fumoto, chrome hummer wheels, Leer topper, blizzard 810 high idle, awaitng secondary fuel filter and lift pump
99 GMC K2500 6.5 td suburban
braided stainless custom oil cooler lines, cutom boost controller, optic bump, mandrel bent 2.5" crossover,3" downpipe, 3" straight pipe, boost gauge valet remote starter,K&n filter, 285's, blizzard 810

Other Diesels:
555D New Holland TLB Ext hoe 4x4
1070 JD 4x4 with FEL
Old 12-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaric View Post
Is that a hint? You don't like the start it and rev it way in the FAQ's?
great way to raise compression by driving the tips into the top of the pistons...LOL.. better than compression in a bottle, only need to add once...

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I like the military way myself. Snap it off, put a new one in and listen to it exit when you start it up. Probably not a good way with a turbo.
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaric View Post
I like the military way myself. Snap it off, put a new one in and listen to it exit when you start it up. Probably not a good way with a turbo.

1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluidamper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, Turbonator open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a 60x86mm cast wheel at 15psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo, Aeromotive fuel pump. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO.
2003 VW Wagon 2.0L TDI auto, silver, heavily modified-Wife's.
2004 VW Wagon TDI 5 speed-blue-also modified-Mine!

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, [email protected] mph.

2002 Gold Dmax 4 door, 2500HD 4x4-new camper/trailer hauler-minor mods and a small tow tune!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in