Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.2L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   Swollen glow plug ? (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/557002-swollen-glow-plug.html)

bvill01 12-15-2013 10:30 PM

Swollen glow plug ?
 
Changing out glow plugs and one I can't take out pasted threads and just turns any ideas ?

MackManiac 12-15-2013 10:34 PM

carb cleaner, patience, and lots of turns

ASPHALTVICTORY 12-15-2013 11:17 PM

J.J.& A Racing makes the perfect tool for it. i bought one cause i had 3 swollen stuck plugs and the way theyr tool works makes it a breeze. its well worth the $100 in my book.

google " J.J.& A Racing glow plug removal tool"

basically you unthread the glow plug slip the tool onto the glow plug and it apply s even outward pulling pressure to it. the glow plug dosent turn the tool dose.

chevydiesel 12-16-2013 03:54 PM

Recently got the pleasure of this task for myself after reading about it for years.

1) Remove the small injection line retainer screw.

2) Remove the injection line nuts from offending cylinder and cylinder that shares injection line couple from the injectors.

3) Remove injector return lines from offending cylinder's injector.

4) Remove the injector from the cylinder.

5) Observe swollen glow plug tip (feel in there with your finger and also you can see it with a light).

6) Unscrew the plug as far as it will unscrew.

7) Take a piece of napkin/shop towel and shove it in the injector hole inside of the precup so that it is underneath the glowplug and plugs the precup opening's hole into the cylinder.

8) Take a pair of pliers and grab the body of the loose glow plug and bend the glow plug forcefully (you're trying to bend this like you would a piece of wire until it breaks off).

9) After glow plug body breaks off of it's tip, push the glow plug tip inside the precup chamber with a screw driver or piece of wire via the glow plug hole.

10) Retrieve loose glow plug tip from the precup injector opening with a slender pair of needle nose pliers.

11) Retrieve your piece of paper towel from the cylinder.

12) Vaccum out the precup if you have fragments.

13) Blow out the injector hole opening and glow plug openings to remove sut, install injector and glow plug.

14) Re-install return lines and injector lines and injector line retaining screw.

That's it.

turbonator 12-16-2013 08:42 PM

That is a very good description John, thanks for posting it up.....should be in the sticky's for sure......J&J.

Diaric 12-16-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbonator (Post 5493417)
That is a very good description John, thanks for posting it up.....should be in the sticky's for sure......J&J.

Is that a hint? You don't like the start it and rev it way in the FAQ's?

fastjohnny 12-16-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASPHALTVICTORY (Post 5490714)
J.J.& A Racing makes the perfect tool for it. i bought one cause i had 3 swollen stuck plugs and the way theyr tool works makes it a breeze. its well worth the $100 in my book.

google " J.J.& A Racing glow plug removal tool"

basically you unthread the glow plug slip the tool onto the glow plug and it apply s even outward pulling pressure to it. the glow plug dosent turn the tool dose.


Also try Leroy's glowplug removal tool. Works good, and cheaper.

turbonator 12-16-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaric (Post 5493441)
Is that a hint? You don't like the start it and rev it way in the FAQ's?

great way to raise compression by driving the tips into the top of the pistons...LOL.. better than compression in a bottle, only need to add once...):h

Diaric 12-16-2013 10:23 PM

I like the military way myself. Snap it off, put a new one in and listen to it exit when you start it up. Probably not a good way with a turbo.

turbovanman 12-16-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaric (Post 5493817)
I like the military way myself. Snap it off, put a new one in and listen to it exit when you start it up. Probably not a good way with a turbo.

:eek:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
© AutoGuide