Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.2L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   air in fuel when making right turn. (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/444896-air-fuel-when-making-right-turn.html)

smackzed 01-20-2012 09:28 PM

air in fuel when making right turn.

Just some research since I won't be able to take a real serious look at anything for a while.

When I make a hard right turn at low acceleration, I get a sudden increase in acceleration, just like air in the fuel. that is the only time it does it though. If I have to slow down after making the turn the idle is rough for a few secs then everything smooths out. It doesn't do it any other time. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. During daylight tomorrow I'm going to try and crank the wheel and see if I can see anything but until I can spend some time on it that's all I;ll really be able to do.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Sean

legendman 01-20-2012 11:40 PM

Maybe your cab is shifting on the frame and pulling on the throttle cable:D

Single or dual tanks?

Margot 01-20-2012 11:44 PM

Sounds like it could be a rubber line that is a little too short or not routed properly that shifts when turning. My 'burb did something very similar. I found out yesterday the line from the barbed outlet to the lift pump input was just barely long enough when the truck was sitting on level ground and when it rocked it would tug a bit on it (a failed worm clamp didn't help matters either).

smackzed 01-21-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendman (Post 4491552)
Maybe your cab is shifting on the frame and pulling on the throttle cable:D

Single or dual tanks?

Single tank. But that's interesting. The cab is so rotted that i can feel it flexing when I go over bumps. The cab mounts on the DS are non existant. It does almost feel more like a pull on the throttle than air, although I do get the rough idle immediately after.

smackzed 01-21-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margot (Post 4491555)
Sounds like it could be a rubber line that is a little too short or not routed properly that shifts when turning. My 'burb did something very similar. I found out yesterday the line from the barbed outlet to the lift pump input was just barely long enough when the truck was sitting on level ground and when it rocked it would tug a bit on it (a failed worm clamp didn't help matters either).

That's what I'm thinking.I redid the fuel line from LP to IP so nothing is routed properly. that was well over a year ago though. I'll take a look at all the clamps since I'll have some daylight to work with today and tomorrow.

Thanks

IamDave0887 01-21-2012 08:50 AM

Does this only happen when the tank is below a certain level?

If so, it could be that the pickup tube has a hole in it due to rust.

Turn one way the fuel covers the hole, no apparent problems. Turnthe other way, no more fuel covering the hole, so the system sucks air.

That that would take time before you'd notice it at the IP. That air would have to go through all the lines, filter, hoses, IP etc, before you'd notice it.

I'm betting it's not that due to the second you turn you can feel/hear it.

smackzed 01-21-2012 09:03 AM

I do have that problem but my tank has to be very close to empty anyhow, less than an 1/8th. so it's not really an issue except sometimes my fuel gauge lies to me.

ASPHALTVICTORY 01-21-2012 09:24 AM

when my brakelight switch was broken/stuck i would take corners and the trans would upshift and downshift a couple of times going into the same corner/bumps on my way to work i replaced the switch and it didnt do it anymore
IDK if thats maby somthing your talking experencing :confused:

Diaric 01-21-2012 12:41 PM

is it only doing it in the cold or all the time?

smackzed 01-21-2012 06:33 PM

huh? it's winter, it's always cold. It's only done it a few times. Day before yesterday for the first time -15c, yesterday same and again today a little warmer. interestingly today it happened while reversing down a hill out of a driveway. Again at low speed while just beginning to accelerate. I'm beginning to think it is the cab flexing and pulling on the throttle cable.

I ended up working today so I didn't have time to look at anything, may be tomorrow