Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.2L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   air in fuel when making right turn. (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/444896-air-fuel-when-making-right-turn.html)

Diaric 02-16-2012 06:39 PM

Damn it Sean :(
electric pump's don't suck well, but they push real good and it sounds like the mechanical is toast. if theres an air leak, they will have a hard time getting prime.
check on the starter warrenty, its usually 90 days or 1 year

smackzed 02-16-2012 06:43 PM

Yeah, i agree. That damned starter just frustrated me to no end. i know it's my own fault but it still just gets my goat.

I've actually been looking for a crew cab for quite a while, a couple years at least. I'm actually kind of excited. Plus I should be able to use a lot of parts off my truck for it. I just put new shocks on and the front tires are fair. I'll be able to keep my spare, I'll have a spare rear axle if it comes to that. Also lots of new in the last year or so front end parts. Pretty good all around. Except the spending money part.

smackzed 02-16-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaric (Post 4514829)
Damn it Sean :(
if theres an air leak, they will have a hard time getting prime.

That's been my thinking of why i haven't been able to draw fuel, that and partly kinked clear line that when it gets some draw, it kinks up tight.

Anyway, if the starter warranty is still good great. If not I'll see if Dave can give me a tutorial on starter re-building.

Diaric 02-16-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackzed (Post 4514836)
Anyway, if the starter warranty is still good great. If not I'll see if Dave can give me a tutorial on starter re-building.

go for a visit to Jeff and Jim, starters are very easy. testing if armature etc is good is the expert part

smackzed 02-16-2012 07:04 PM

That's a good idea. they've actually offered to make a visit this weekend to help me get the old girl sorted but I think my mind is made up. I would like to see them sometime though, check out the new shop,

Margot 02-16-2012 08:16 PM

I can see why you'd toss in the towel since it's as rusty as you said. I seriously felt like just junking mine after 6 months of finding leaks and almost being left stranded several times, and mine doesn't have any rust.

Bigboytoys 02-16-2012 08:32 PM

Too bad your thrownin' in the towel, compare the cost of a replacement truck to what you got into yours and my vote would be FIX R!!

smackzed 02-16-2012 09:11 PM

replacement truck $2000.

New cab for my truck $400, New inner fenders $100 each. Flat bed or new box. $200-$500. Rear brakes, $75-$150. Paint job $75 for tremclad. New filter base (most likely) $50-$100 depending on type. New fuel lines, Not tons of $ except time. New exhaust, $200. Rear tires, $100 for used installed. Plus all the time to do this stuff or pay someone else to do it. A lot of it I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do.

What's still good. Engine itself and IP. trans, Frame, front end. rear axle, various random things like shocks etc... Oh and the radio works.

If the new truck wasn't a crew cab I'd keep at it but being a crew cab and a 3/4 2wd that will exchange parts with the old one it's worth it to my mind. I had a pretty good year last year and my wife has been complaining about the eyesore in the driveway for 2 years at least. Just to make her happy is pretty good. Even the kids have been talking about what a piece of junk my truck looks like.

turbonator 02-16-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackzed (Post 4515027)
replacement truck $2000.

New cab for my truck $400, New inner fenders $100 each. Flat bed or new box. $200-$500. Rear brakes, $75-$150. Paint job $75 for tremclad. New filter base (most likely) $50-$100 depending on type. New fuel lines, Not tons of $ except time. New exhaust, $200. Rear tires, $100 for used installed. Plus all the time to do this stuff or pay someone else to do it. A lot of it I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do.

What's still good. Engine itself and IP. trans, Frame, front end. rear axle, various random things like shocks etc... Oh and the radio works.

If the new truck wasn't a crew cab I'd keep at it but being a crew cab and a 3/4 2wd that will exchange parts with the old one it's worth it to my mind. I had a pretty good year last year and my wife has been complaining about the eyesore in the driveway for 2 years at least. Just to make her happy is pretty good. Even the kids have been talking about what a piece of junk my truck looks like.

well, if you are lookin to get rid of the motor, think of us, although i would be swappin it in a heartbeat, and scappin the gasser.... we are still on the prowl for a 4 door too.... got 2 dually diffs here to swap in and i can get a box with the dually fenders for 200.00... so if you happen across a 4 dr that is motorless, or differentialless, or just in general bad shape, but otherwise complete, let us know...LOL

legendman 02-16-2012 10:26 PM

Smackzed , what's gonna happen is a 2 step upgrade......

Upgrade one will be 4 doors instead of 2
Upgrade two will be putting the 6.2 in the crew cab.:D

Sorry to hear about the troubles, these mechanical things can be a real pita sometimes.

Looking forward to the "I got me a 4 door post" and then the 6.2 swap thread:D