Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.2L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   air in fuel when making right turn. (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/444896-air-fuel-when-making-right-turn.html)

acesneights1 02-15-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackzed (Post 4514039)
My thinking at the moment is this.

1. Failing fuel pump. It does work some tho cause I put my finger over the suction side and pumped the lever a few times and got some suction. Not sure of why I can`t suck fuel out of a pail even with the damned electric pump. That`s just weird
Barring some act of god, I's say the LP is no good. If it won't suck even from a pail unless the line you have from the pump to the pail is bad.

2. Leaking fuel filter. When I think about it, the problem got a lot worse after replacing the FF a few weeks ago. Also it took a LONG time to get the truck going after the filter change. Then I had a no start the next day. I've felt fuel at the bottom seam but there's been fuel everywhere in the last few days.

3. Various pin holes in the supply line. I found one hole that was under a zip tie that was holding a return line to a supply line. Also fond some a clean area of fuel line along the frame rail. Nothings clean on this truck. Don`t know if there was a leak or not but I cut the line as close to the tank as I could get. Lots of old dirt where I cut so no fuel leaking in that area or above.
Common spot for these unseen to the naked eye is on the fuel line pickup right where it bends to the tank.

4. Possible problem with the pickup tube, that one I`m not so sure about though since when it`s running it runs with very little air then without warning there`s huge air and stall then no start.
See above
5. My disintegrated cab mounts make the cab crush part of the pick up tube soft line. Don`t know if this is possible but the no starts have been mostly when parked with the pass side up on a snowbank. Surging has been most common when making turns, both conditions that make the cab move around.
Sounds like you know where to look.

I would have a fuel pressure gauge handy as well. You should see 4-7 psi min. you should NO air.
Hope that helps.

turbonator 02-15-2012 10:08 PM

Road trip ????:driver::truck:

Diaric 02-15-2012 10:15 PM

Sean, get it running from the pail like you plan. you need to isolate the cause before throwing parts you can't afford at it. As to the cause, I'm at a loss, but think your on the right track

legendman 02-15-2012 10:24 PM

How about this theory, smackzed said he felt suction when he tried the mechanical pump by hand, what if anything faster is some how making it crap out and not pump.

Or maybe it couldn't prime with the jug on the ground.

Smack is the mechanical pump on or off the motor?
If it's on maybe try to set it up higher than the pump and see what happens.
You might have mentioned it before but not sure if you tried it.

Diaric 02-15-2012 11:21 PM

i have a dumb thought about a plugged pick up sock, or holes in the pick up, that when he turns right, the fuel sloosh's and he looses supply

smackzed 02-16-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaric (Post 4514249)
i have a dumb thought about a plugged pick up sock, or holes in the pick up, that when he turns right, the fuel sloosh's and he looses supply

The hole in the pickup tube would make sense except it ran when the fuel was at 1/2 tank, Parked with the pass side up on a bit of a snowbank and no start. Added 40 litres/10 gallons and still no start. And right now it sitting on fairly level ground and no start.

I'm really thinking that the electric pump could push fuel down but not up.

Mechanical pump is back on the engine. There's a possibility that I've installed it somehow that the lever is beside the push rod rather than against it.

turbonator 02-16-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackzed (Post 4514383)
The hole in the pickup tube would make sense except it ran when the fuel was at 1/2 tank, Parked with the pass side up on a bit of a snowbank and no start. Added 40 litres/10 gallons and still no start. And right now it sitting on fairly level ground and no start.

I'm really thinking that the electric pump could push fuel down but not up.

Mechanical pump is back on the engine. There's a possibility that I've installed it somehow that the lever is beside the push rod rather than against it.

i dont think that is possible due to the machined bore the rod runs in... if it did happen, for sure the arm on the LP is broken or bent.... i really think that it is time to drop the tank and change/verify the sender, we have changed/repaired several that the pickup and return tubes were rotted and leaking flush with the senders top.....

Bigboytoys 02-16-2012 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a quick way of finding your issue.

It's an old fuel cap and a BBQ regulator. Just pull your cap and install this one set to no more than 5 psi and start looking for where the fuel is coming out of, fuel line, return lines, fuel pump and or into the oil pan.....

It also is the fast way to bleed the fuel system, after filter change..., without an electric pump.

smackzed 02-16-2012 06:05 PM

I'm done. Starter failed this morning. I guess it didn't like getting cranked 200 or so times in 4 days. Still have yet to see fuel at the filter. Looking for my receipt to see How long the warranty was. I bought it 7 months ago so I'm sure it's a 6 month warranty.

After looking at all the things wrong with it (mainly insane rust issues) I've decided to retire the old bitch.. Then I was talking to my father in law and he said, hey, haven't you wanted a crew cab for a while? I know a guy selling one that the body was redone a few months ago. Kinda made my mind up. So i think I'll be buying that and parking the bitch for a while. If I get fed up with feeding a 350 (i'm sure I will) I'll see about swapping in the 6.2.

Wipes away tears, I've had this truck longer than any other. usually i buy disposable truck, they last 2 years tops and they get junked, I've more than doubled that with this one. But it just isn't worth it anymore.

Hawkstrong 02-16-2012 06:35 PM

When you swap the 6.2 in to the crew cab at least you can start with a clean slate. All new fuel lines and the such.
I'm sorry about your luck, You'll get it eventually!