Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.2L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   air in fuel when making right turn. (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/444896-air-fuel-when-making-right-turn.html)

resherrick 02-15-2012 07:28 PM

sorry to hear you say that but I'm in the same boat.If it wasn't a 3/4 ton 4x4 I wouldn't bother.God knows I've spent enough on it to have bought something decent. But it sure is fun to drive when it works.
I wonder if the sock or whatever is on the pickup end of your fuel line, in the tank, is plugged.

smackzed 02-15-2012 07:36 PM

I'm thinking of doing the swap into the '90 but it's a short box and I'm not a fan. Also it's a 1/2 ton and I like having the 3/4. My mechanic has a an '88 3/4 4x4 that he isn't driving. 305. It needs an exhaust though. If I bought the 1/2 ton it would just be to get me through the winter and to a more profitable time of year.

Yeah I've spent enough on it so far it seems nuts to stop. The sock may be plugged but that still doesn't explain why I can't suck fuel out of a pail.

Hawkstrong 02-15-2012 07:58 PM

The 1/2 ton could be fixed.. Its the short bed thats the problems. The only short bed I want is in a off road rig.
I'm gonna do some serious thinking to try and help you figure out whats wrong..

Did you try a new fuel filter and fuel lines? Maybe now would be a good time to swap a spin on filter?

smackzed 02-15-2012 08:17 PM

My thinking at the moment is this.

1. Failing fuel pump. It does work some tho cause I put my finger over the suction side and pumped the lever a few times and got some suction. Not sure of why I can`t suck fuel out of a pail even with the damned electric pump. That`s just weird

2. Leaking fuel filter. When I think about it, the problem got a lot worse after replacing the FF a few weeks ago. Also it took a LONG time to get the truck going after the filter change. Then I had a no start the next day. I've felt fuel at the bottom seam but there's been fuel everywhere in the last few days.

3. Various pin holes in the supply line. I found one hole that was under a zip tie that was holding a return line to a supply line. Also fond some a clean area of fuel line along the frame rail. Nothings clean on this truck. Don`t know if there was a leak or not but I cut the line as close to the tank as I could get. Lots of old dirt where I cut so no fuel leaking in that area or above.

4. Possible problem with the pickup tube, that one I`m not so sure about though since when it`s running it runs with very little air then without warning there`s huge air and stall then no start.

5. My disintegrated cab mounts make the cab crush part of the pick up tube soft line. Don`t know if this is possible but the no starts have been mostly when parked with the pass side up on a snowbank. Surging has been most common when making turns, both conditions that make the cab move around.

legendman 02-15-2012 08:33 PM

Dang that thing is fighting ya, odd you can't get pumps to work from a jug.
When you get the new pump, I would try to get it running from the jug then
hook it back up to the tank.

I'm wondering if you've got a collapsed rubber line some where, I saw the post where you replaced the line as far back as you could.

But the bit about the cab possibly the line would grab my attention, what about a block of wood to hold the cab up?

Good luck

acesneights1 02-15-2012 08:34 PM

Change your fuel lines over to pushlok. You won't be sorry. I use the stuff on everything and it works great.

smackzed 02-15-2012 08:35 PM

Definitely going to get it running from a jug first. Make sure it runs like that with no air then hook it back up to the tank and see what changes.

legendman 02-15-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acesneights1 (Post 4514055)
Change your fuel lines over to pushlok. You won't be sorry. I use the stuff on everything and it works great.

Aces gonna need some elaboration on the pushlok.

Margot 02-15-2012 08:41 PM

Did you mechanically actuate the mechanical-style lift pump? I've found those fuel pumps tend to not suck too much when they don't have an engine actually driving them, leading to me questioning whether they really work or not when I move the rod manually. And an electric fuel pump could very well be dying or have a sealing problem leading to poor suction, seen that too.

This thing sure is fighting you though! Have you blown out the lines back to the tank to eliminate any potential debris in them? You can always try pressurizing again, I had to do it twice to find all my leaks.

acesneights1 02-15-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendman (Post 4514065)
Aces gonna need some elaboration on the pushlok.

I don't wanna hi jack. It's a type of hose specifically for fuel. It's barrier hose. The stuff works really well on diesels.