Diesel Place banner

Craiglist ads that we all want to buy

669K views 7K replies 146 participants last post by  Sbgarage 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#6,283 · (Edited)
If they are the owner it isn't hard but if they got it from someone else for the transmission and didn't transfer the title (because they didn't plan to register it) it could be a PITA.

Or the whole thing could be shady.

#6,286 ·
Most US states have privacy laws and will not give any information out, the police won't even tell you if it's stolen until you go to register it (and have forked out cash most of the time). But if the owner objects, definitely run (not walk!).

#6,296 ·
Not the first time I've seen it. I've seen one or two of these for sale around here.

#6,298 ·
1998 Diesel Chevy Suburban

Here's a good example of an honest seller and why a 6.5 or 6.2 can be a money pit even if they look nice. A old non running diesel truck is rarely worth much more than scrap. I may look at this one but even free it may need too much work or at least too much to reach my standards of dependable.

From The Ad:

REDUCED: MUST SELL: My wife has said, "It's time to sell our family 'bus.'" This is a 3/4 ton Leather appointed workhorse with a 4 inch Stainless steel exhaust. The Midas mechanic who installed this turbo back system said it sounded like a "bus" and so the nickname stuck!

It was in great demand when we bought it in July, 2007, on Ebay out of New York City. We have put 145,000 miles on it. Up until recently we were going to keep it, but it was involved in an accident with damage only to the front bumper, front quarter panel (around the wheel well), headlights and grill. In the year leading up to the accident this last July(15) we figured we put several thousand dollars into it.

Newer Optima Redtop batteries. Newer Starter. Relocated PMD from Heath Diesel. At 232,000 in August, 2013 a new Fuel Injector Pump. Might need new injectors. Newer Michelin MS2 LTX tires, new front brakes, rotors and calipers from Frozen Rotors.

The HID lowbeam headlights don't work, so I have been running on high beams. Replace the whole grill and light setup. Will be great!

Overall right now the A/C doesn't work and Defrost blower doesn't either. Rear axle has a seal leak according to Tires Plus, and the rear brakes could be done too.

Many mechanical items are needing repair beyond the body work from the accident. Driver's side wiper arm broke off, Interior driver's door handle is broken. Driver's side seat heater doesn't work, center console was missing when purchased(never missed), radio knobs are chipped and many are missing (no affect to sound which is great), Rear tailgate locking mechanism doesn't work. Transfer case may be leaking. Spare tire missing. Carpets dirty.

Has power locks and windows. Oh, and the mechanic in Buffalo Lake owes the new owner a new windshield to replace the one with rock chips and pits in it from the road.

Engine blows black smoke within the engine compartment when it starts up as it needs an intake manifold replaced. The crankshaft needs a new harmonic a balancer, which a previous mechanic damaged several years ago and many miles back. (Hasn't affected engine) (Update: engine won't start).

It has a 42 gallon fuel tank and get consistently 16-17 mpg around the city. 14-15 in the winter. Well over 600 mile range on the highway trips! Awesome!!! (Update: Now leaking)

The power leather seats have good support and work well, but there is a large tear in the driver's seat.

Trying to be honest. Love this ride tremendously, won't get stuck in the snow,(when it comes) but it has to go.

Attachments

Reactions: Bigboytoys
#6,299 ·
I'd have a look if it were close.
Reminds me of another one. "Her shaft is bent and her rear end leaks, you can fix her quick with an oily rag. Use a nail as a starter; I lost the key. Don't pay no mind to that whirrin' sound. She use a little oil, but outside a' that, she's cherry."

Read more: C.W. McCall - Classified Lyrics | MetroLyrics

#6,301 ·
Odd that truck was for sale about a year ago they must just not want to let it go.

#6,309 ·
Reactions: turbonator
#6,322 ·
Nice clean looking truck.....hard to keep anything its hauling clean though with the stacks....LOL. Will call him to ask price....J&J.
Phoned the guy and talked to him.... he has a deposit on it to sell for $6,000.00. Higher than we feel is reasonable. He did however, offer to give the other guys deposit back, if we came with $5,000.00....needless to say, now think he is a dick and still price too high.....LOL.

#6,310 ·
Nice clean looking truck.....hard to keep anything its hauling clean though with the stacks....LOL. Will call him to ask price....J&J.

Reactions: smackzed
#6,311 ·
Reactions: smackzed
#6,314 ·
#6,316 ·
91 Humvee- over priced but would make a good project
91 Humvee

Here we have a 1991 AM General M998 humvee. Set up as a two door softtop. Has a 6.2L diesel with only 36,000 miles. Automatic transmission and two speed transfer case. Tires are about 95%. Starts up and drives down the road great, has low miles and a clear street title. This vehicle can be easily changed to a four seater. Its mechanically sound and strong. Straight bodied vehicle. The only thing it needs is a paint job. Asking $16,800 OBO

Attachments

#6,317 ·
Thats actually a damn good price, wonder whats wrong with it...the ones with the papers to title them and not off road use only ones are going at auction $30K and up..

Reactions: jrsavoie
#6,320 ·
#6,324 ·
Now this one is a four seater and looks way better than the one I found and is even cheaper !:HiHi:

#6,326 ·
Great truck Nathan, even price is reasonable.....J&J.

Reactions: Bigboytoys
#6,328 ·
id rather have a 2wd 3500 truck than a candy assed 1500 4x4 that cant haul 10 bags of cement without sagging....:hehe:..
our end means for a truck is different than most, we work and make money with them, none are even close to being sunday drivers... unless we work on sunday...:thumb:.. and that truck is a $5000.00 truck here...

#6,331 · (Edited)
I'd like to find a 6.2 with the NV833 overdrive four speed manual. This one looks nice: GMC High Sierra 1983 4X4 | autos et camions | Ville de Québec | Kijiji

The ad is in french, but here is the google translation:

K15 GMC High Sierra 1983 4X4 and The truck is equipped with 6.2L diesel engine and manual transmission 4-speed overdrive with New Process NV833 (rare). The truck is very strong for his age and everything works! Mechanics in good condition, and inside too. Oil Change at 3000 kilo. Do not leave the winter and stored in a garage. On original wheel, but I also leaves 4 wheel 15 inch very offset (off-road style). Has never been abused in the woods or in the bait. To have! It is worth worth!
Make your offer!

Attachments

#6,332 ·
I'd like to find a 6.2 with the NV833 overdrive four speed manual. This one looks nice: GMC High Sierra 1983 4X4 | autos et camions | Ville de Québec | Kijiji

The ad is in french, but here is the google translation:

K15 GMC High Sierra 1983 4X4 and The truck is equipped with 6.2L diesel engine and manual transmission 4-speed overdrive with New Process NV833 (rare). The truck is very strong for his age and everything works! Mechanics in good condition, and inside too. Oil Change at 3000 kilo. Do not leave the winter and stored in a garage. On original wheel, but I also leaves 4 wheel 15 inch very offset (off-road style). Has never been abused in the woods or in the bait. To have! It is worth worth!
Make your offer!
Power windows, manual locks, no AC, and A-833 trans in a GMC wrapper- love the odd-optioned squarebodies.