700R4 Problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
ScottyStills
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

700R4 Problem

Evening folks,

So I'll be right up front - I don't know a damn thing about my transmission, especially if it's cable or vacuum or electric...

Here's the problem, it's shifting on RPM but not on throttle position, so going up a hill on the highway is a hell of a problem, and forget about trying to pass someone without a couple miles to get the speed up first.

I did a search through the forum but I don't see anything like this (lots of other problems though). Anybody been through this?

SM465, NP205

09 Ram 1500
Custom windshield cracks

2012 Ram 3500 DRW
6.7 Cummins, EGR/DPF delete, H&S, Westers tune
Custom windshield cracks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

Ok simply your trany has both electric and cable hook ups.

The TVS on the side of passenger side of the IP controls the torque converter lock up.

The TV cable controls the shift points of the other forward gears.

At the rear of the engine on the drivers side tucked below the intake is the TV cable that controls yours shift points. Does this cable have slack in it or not move in and out as you give it throttle?

I would guess the TV cable is WAY out of adjustment because the adjuster is worn out. This cable has to be set correct or you WILL shorten your trany life.

To adjust the TV cable find the black sideways D with a metal tab in the middle at the rear drivers side of the engine, behind the intake and probably under a big harness, follow the steel cable towards the fire wall. Push down with a screw driver on the tab and pull the rear sheathed part of the cable towards the firewall, hold the cable and release the tab. Then open the throttle all the way and you should hear snaps, 2 or 3, as the TV cable self adjusts.

Mark the adjuster and take it for a drive, check the adjuster again to make sure it hasn't slipped forwards, could be worn out, replace it if it has moved again. Simple enough eh.

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! Timing Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
ScottyStills
Glow Plug

Hmmmm ok that doesn't sound too bad. I took a quick look but I'll have to go out when I have time to go over it thoroughly. (I'm supposed to be hard at work right now).

Hope you're right and that's all it is! On the other hand, I have been eying one of those Monster 700R4s...
SM465, NP205

09 Ram 1500
Custom windshield cracks

2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Custom windshield cracks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
ScottyStills
Glow Plug

Ok real quick, the TVS on the passenger side of the IP is wiring, right? I'm looking for the TV cable, but I'm going to have to pull the pressure chamber off the top of the intake to get a decent look back there.
SM465, NP205

09 Ram 1500
Custom windshield cracks

2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Custom windshield cracks
Old 08-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
ScottyStills
Glow Plug

Ha! Bigboytoys, thank you very much! That was definitely the problem. There was a lot of slack in the detend cable. Put the pedal to WOT and adjusted the clip back, seems to work great.
SM465, NP205

09 Ram 1500
Custom windshield cracks

2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Custom windshield cracks
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

So it's good to go now, it's shifting better? If the shifts change again I'd replace it, They don't slip for nothing, they are a bit of a PITA to replace though.

Yes, the electrical bit on the passenger side of the IP is your TPS. You can tune your converter lock up point buy loosing and rotating slightly and road testing, repeat till your happy.
90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! Timing Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
ScottyStills
Glow Plug

Yes there's a few things I noticed right away.

1. It shifts more smoothly at low speeds. Since the shifting had gone bad, the shift from 1-2 in the 50km/h range was really harsh. Seems a lot smoother now.

2. Does not shift under acceleration. Now when I hit the gas to get up to highway speed, I'm not battling for 5 minutes waiting for it to get up to 110.

3. Hitting the gas at speed WILL make it downshift! About damn time...

You're absolutely right though if it slips again I'll be replacing the adjuster.

That being said though, I've been tossing around the idea of building in the reverse valve body and putting in a floor shifter to take advantage of the manual-automatic, then it becomes a moot point. But hell, nothing helps getting through the mud like having that control.

I'd been having the problem with this transmission for a month or so, but not a daily driver just a trail toy so I wasn't worried. Until Sunday afternoon when I was coming up an embankment, wheels started spinning again and the damn thing shifted and I lost all power; crawled out of it eventually though. Straw that broke the camel's back. Next time might just end up being a much more involved project.
SM465, NP205

09 Ram 1500
Custom windshield cracks

2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Custom windshield cracks
Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
BigMike8504
Diesel Technician
Formerly Mwy123

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboytoys View Post
So it's good to go now, it's shifting better? If the shifts change again I'd replace it, They don't slip for nothing, they are a bit of a PITA to replace though.

Yes, the electrical bit on the passenger side of the IP is your TPS. You can tune your converter lock up point buy loosing and rotating slightly and road testing, repeat till your happy.
Interesting....... The converter in my truck locks when it goes into 4th, after a second or two. I would really like it to not lock until 55ish. So the adjustment is in the TPS, which way to you twist that sucker to delay the lockup?
2004 1500 Silverado 4.8 NV-3500 5-speed
1984 K10 350 4-bbl Th350 up 4 on 35x12.50
1991 C30 454 SM465
1983 K20 Suburban 6.2 700R4
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
happypunch
Diesel Expert

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

good thing you caught that when you did. I've been told a poorly adjusted tv cable can kill a tranny in under 100 miles. if it does it again swap that out fast! $30 part vs tranny rebuild.

would a dash mounted TC lockup switch override the normal hydraulic lockup? i was told by a shop that with the 700r4's you either have hydraulic or manual TC lockup but cant have both. that sound right or did i misunderstand the gentleman?
3.73's With 285/75/16's

Gave it another chance at life and enjoying every minute

Last edited by happypunch; 08-24-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
ScottyStills
Glow Plug

Damn, well I definitely put more than 100 miles on it, but I don't need another rebuild either. It was done about 6000 ago.

SM465, NP205

09 Ram 1500
Custom windshield cracks

2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Custom windshield cracks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in