6.2/6.5L Main Bearing Girdle - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By turbonator

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

6.2/6.5L Main Bearing Girdle

We have had a few request lately for pics of our ''Pugg girdle'', so we decided to set up a new thread specifically for this..... as of now we have just over 1000 miles on the ''Pugg'' and are able to boost with over 20 psi with seemingly no ill effects (other than lots of power, that is....).

We built our girdle using 1.5 X 2.0'' X 3/8'' angle iron, this should be reduced to 1.5 X 1.5'', to eliminate material removal. It was just cut with regular cut-off wheels and a grinder, then hand filed for fit and finish.

Unfortunately my measurements were just on the side of a cardboard box and was misplaced, so we have only a pattern to work with for future girdles. There is a drawing available in the thread ''DSG Web Bearing Brace Kit '', page 8, post #78. Maybe one of you guys that know how to do a link to this drawing will be so kind to do one for us..... thanks in advance.

This is a model made by MaxPf, please note that our girdle was machined to fit a stock oil pan(6.2L, 6.5L and hummer pans) the drawing requires a custom pan, yet the center to center bolt measurements are what you need most.

The military pan we used, had the oil dipstick .200'' further on the side of the pan, so a minor adjustment was all that was needed to be able to use all available oil pans for these motors.

Well I've babbled on enough here, time now for pics.......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main bearing girdle 1.JPG (128.8 KB, 1413 views)
File Type: jpg Main bearing girdle 2.jpg (39.7 KB, 1122 views)
File Type: jpg Main bearing girdle 3.jpg (55.4 KB, 1568 views)
File Type: jpg Main bearing girdle 4.jpg (105.0 KB, 2071 views)
File Type: jpg Hummer oilpan.jpg (100.9 KB, 1599 views)

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Guess I didn't babble on enough after all.....

It is very important that when girdle is built that it does not rock on the main bearing caps, as this will distort the engine block and put undue stress on the crankshaft. I placed girdle on caps and measured between cap and girdle with a feeler gauge, then filed girdle until the fitment was less than .002''.

The bolts that we used were just new head bolts, shortened down to proper length. Next one we do will be with studs, as the stud has less stress transferred to engine block as a bolt does. The head studs sold by ARP are not good for this, as the barrel of the stud is too thick to pass the hole in the main bearing cap. They do however sell individual studs to measure.....

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
4320Diesel
Resident Pinhead

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

this is definetly going into the FAQ's! im definetly going to be making myself one once i find the magical money tree and start on my 6.2 build. Click Here for the dimensions of the girdle maxpf made.
1985 GMC (The Brown Streak) Sierra Classic 1500 4WD With 6.2L V8 Diesel and 4speed NP833 trans with hurst shifter! , 4911 6.5 ip with 6.5 shortie injectors GM-3 turbo. Single plane J code intake from Turbonator (thanks guys!). 3" exhaust and 3" BBQ black stacks! Isspro Pyrometer, Trisco Boost and Engine Oil Temp Gauges.
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport club cab short box 4WD 5 speed 12 Valve cummins. Brentbilt fuel plate. 300 horse motorhome injectors, boost elbow, timing bumped to 18* autometer boost and pyro, 500 horse valair clutch waiting to go in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaric View Post
your wrong brent, i'll think of a reason later

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaric View Post
brent can't do that, it would look factory, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trios View Post
Brent is right.
Was there any ever doubt?

Last edited by 4320Diesel; 07-05-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread