MY glow plug adventure - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Michael
Freeze Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

MY glow plug adventure

It all started last saturday I decided I was going to go pull all my glow plugs to make sure they are all in good shape hoping to make it throught the summer so I could put a new set in at the beginning of winter.

So I start pulling 1-7 everything went fine now onto 2-8 everything started out fine except 2 wouldnt come out, so I move to the rest, they all came out fine. Well I figured that it was just carboned up on the electrode(happened alot before) so I go over to my toolbox, grab some Vice Grips and PB blaster, spray the glow plug, grab the hex part of the gp abd start working it arond gently , thinking I was breaking up the carbon I spray a little more and keep working, next thing I knew I was holding a broken gp in the vice grips in my hand!! the electrode had swollen

I look down and see the electrode is still in the head, I start figuring my options, I have the time and gaskets to pull the head but I dont wanna, so I figured I would do a bench test with a old 6.2 head I have which still had old gp's in it. so I go get it a bring it into my shop pull the plug break it the same way and stick it in the hole, and start looking around. it doesnt seem like the electrode could fall out of the pre combustion chamber and into the cylinder because of how long the electrode is, then I take another old gp and a pair of pliars and start smashing the electrode wondering if it did fall would the engine chew it up a spit it out the exaust.

I say screw that and get a new idea, grab a socket out of my box and pull the injector out of the bad head and what do you think I see? a perfect way to retrive the broken gp ,awesome, so I start by getting my Snap on 45* bent nose long handle needle nose pliars and a small punch and continue to try it on the bench first, with the electrode being so long I could push the broke end through the hole until it hit the head and then I could go in and grab it with my pliars and pull it out, so I walk over to my pickup, pull the injector, push the electrode through and grab it and pull it out , put a new gp in and re install the injector and fuel lines, everything is done!!

What should have taken me 30 min. ended up taking 1.5 hrs but it was easier then pulling the head. I hope this will help someone Thanks fro reading

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
4320Diesel
Resident Pinhead

this belongs in the FAQ for sure. should help TONS of people with swolen/busted glow plugs. good job

1985 GMC (The Brown Streak) Sierra Classic 1500 4WD With 6.2L V8 Diesel and 4speed NP833 trans with hurst shifter! , 4911 6.5 ip with 6.5 shortie injectors GM-3 turbo. Single plane J code intake from Turbonator (thanks guys!). 3" exhaust and 3" BBQ black stacks! Isspro Pyrometer, Trisco Boost and Engine Oil Temp Gauges.
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport club cab short box 4WD 5 speed 12 Valve cummins. Brentbilt fuel plate. 300 horse motorhome injectors, boost elbow, timing bumped to 18* autometer boost and pyro, 500 horse valair clutch waiting to go in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaric View Post
your wrong brent, i'll think of a reason later

Quote:
brent can't do that, it would look factory, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trios View Post
Brent is right.
Was there any ever doubt?
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Michael
Freeze Plug

Thanks, I hope it will help someone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
4320Diesel
Resident Pinhead

there, ive put it in the FAQ's. im sure it will help someone down the line.
1985 GMC (The Brown Streak) Sierra Classic 1500 4WD With 6.2L V8 Diesel and 4speed NP833 trans with hurst shifter! , 4911 6.5 ip with 6.5 shortie injectors GM-3 turbo. Single plane J code intake from Turbonator (thanks guys!). 3" exhaust and 3" BBQ black stacks! Isspro Pyrometer, Trisco Boost and Engine Oil Temp Gauges.
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport club cab short box 4WD 5 speed 12 Valve cummins. Brentbilt fuel plate. 300 horse motorhome injectors, boost elbow, timing bumped to 18* autometer boost and pyro, 500 horse valair clutch waiting to go in!
Quote:
your wrong brent, i'll think of a reason later

Quote:
brent can't do that, it would look factory, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trios View Post
Brent is right.
Was there any ever doubt?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
blazerswampthing
Diesel Nut

I have to wonder, how often does this swollen glow plug thing happen? I have 2 diesels and swapped all glow plugs and none had any problems coming out, very similar to spark plugs.
04 GSX1300R
05 Dodge dually Cummins 4 door long bed 4x4 6 spd, heavy brush guard bumper and 10k lb winch
96 Polaris 4x4 ATV
99 Polaris 4x4 ATV
Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

happens when the old style plugs left left in a long time. i've never had an issue either
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 06-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Power_Auger
Diesel Starter

GP Adventures

As a Complete newbie, never any experience with a Diesel, I had read about the swelling problem of the tips. In our first efforts of trying to get an old 2 year old Nester to fire, of course we had to pull the GPs. 1 was DOA. So we went to replace them all. 5 out of the 8 WERE stubborn! Yet with patience, Blaster, GENTLE wiggles, some cautious persausion, a sip or two of elixer for the patience, we were Lucky and got all the stubborn ones out. I am SURE only by luck, and no time pressures.

Thanks Diesel Michael, and Brent for putting the advice in the FAQ it will help! The new ones I put in were NOT what I wanted (my fault) and I have HEATED them UP. I have worried that I have to get the AC 60 G's in there before fall.

Advocate for GM Glow Plug Controller Waste Management

Last edited by Power_Auger; 06-26-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Michael
Freeze Plug

Thanks guys and no problem, it was weird I have never had problems until this one and I do alot of 6.2 and 6.5 repairs, never had a swollen one before though
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
whisky runner
senile old gearhead

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Armed Forces Club Member

i remember back when i first started on these engines i found alot of swollen plugs..but usually only on ones where the controller was bypassed
Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fred482`
Diesel Champ

I've had problems with lots of the original 9G's. The next gen, 11G's weren't much better. The latest gen 60G's don't seem to swell and the fact that they're similar to, if a PTC type, they last a lot longer.

The early ones were a problem. Quite a few engines swollowed a tip or two, exhibiting pock marked pistons, lots of small dents on the top. I did have one engine that suffered a hole in the piston from a glow plug tip. The indentation was clear when examined. A round dent, close to thearea under the prechamber. It was more of a three cornered crack than a hole.

'82 GMC 6.2 N/A, 3/4T 4X4, THM 400HD, 4:10's, 240,000 Miles, 15.5 MPG highway, 13 City. Sold and performing daily duty in British Columbia.
'84 Chev Suburban 6.2 N/A, 3/4T 4X4, 700R4HD, 4:10's, 210,000 Miles, 21 MPG highway, 16 City. Sold and performing daily duty in Indiana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread