Glow Plugs - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Matt C
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Glow Plugs

On my 83 6.2 how do I hook up a manual push button in so that the glow plugs still come on as normal but I have a back up for when they won't come on. I have 60G's in it so they won't swell up, but in the winter it doesn't start as good as it did with 11g's. Any help would be nice because in the summer the controller won't turn them on when the truck is warm but some times it is cool enough that it should.

'93 1/2 ton 4x4 6.5 N/A crate motor, dual straight pipes

95 6.5 TD K2500 4L80-E (SOLD)

83 6.2 C10 TH700R-4 (SOLD)

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE

REG CAB CLUB Member #003

Steaksauce Posse #12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
cougarjohn

Glow plugs when engine warm

When the engine is warm then you don't need the glow plugs. And yes you can install a manual switch to operate the glow plug relay manually. Make sure your toggle switch is a momentary one so you can't accidentally leave it on. All you need to do is get 12V power to the + side of the relay thru a switch. I connected my wire before the temp switch in the right rear head so that the glow plugs will not come on if the engine is warm. I use Delco 60G's, but I still don't want to power them up if the engine is warm.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
ag4gt
Diesel Apprentice

You will need the following items:
  • About 5 or 6 feet of wire. About #18 but you can get by with smaller if you must.
  • Some ring terminals. I do not know what size but they will be used on the control studs of the glow plug relay.
  • A push button MOMENTARY (normally open) switch. NO NOT, repeat DO NOT use a switch that can be turned on and left on. That is a sure way to fry your glow plugs.
  • A multimeter or you can get buy with a 12 volt test light.
  • Some small wire ties.

Proceed as follows:
  • Locate the glow plug controller. It is located near the place where the distributor would be on a gas engine. It sort of looks like a big spark plug with a large black oval connector on the top of it.
  • Remove the connector from the glow plug controller.
  • Wire tie the connector and wiring to a convenient location to keep it from flopping around and getting into or against anything it shouldn’t.
  • Locate the glow plug relay. It is usually located on or around the front fender well on the driver’s side. It is a cylinder about 2 ˝ inches tall and about 1 ˝ inches in diameter. It has 4 wires connected to it. Two of the wires are very heavy, about #8’s. One of the wires will go to the battery. The other two wires will be small control wires and will have a single black plastic connector.
  • Remove the black plastic connector.
  • Turn the ignition switch to RUN.
  • Using your multimeter set to a range that will read 12 volts DC, ground one of the meter probes. Using the other probe, probe the connector. Locate the wire that DOES NOT have 12 volts on it. If you are using a test light, it will be the wire that DOES NOT light the light.
  • Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  • Disconnect BOTH batteries. Remember, negative first on both batteries.
  • Determine which terminal on the glow plug relay the wire that DOES NOT have 12 volts on it goes to. This is the terminal you will connect your new wire to.
  • Run your new wire through the fire wall and bring it out on the driver’s side of the instrument panel.
  • Remove the nuts on the glow plug relay that hold the spade lug connectors. Mine has 2 plastic nuts, a clear plastic shield and then two brass nuts.
  • Place one of your wring terminals on the end of your new wire on the engine side.
  • Secure the ring terminal under the nut that DOES NOT have 12 volts on it on the glow plug relay.
  • Reinstall the remainder of nuts and shield if equipped.
  • NO NOT reattach the connector on the glow plug controller at this time.
  • Locate where you are going to place your push button switch and make what ever preparations are required to mount the switch.
  • Attach your new wire to one of the terminals on the switch.
  • Locate a ground point that you can place a ring terminal on.
  • Run a piece of wire from the other terminal of your switch to the ground point.
  • Mount the switch.

CAUTION - NOTE – WARRINING

If at any time while reconnecting the wiring, including the batteries you hear the glow plug relay energize, DISCONNECT THAT CONNECTION IMMEDIATLY! If the glow plugs are engaging with out the push button being pushed, something is wrong and corrective action is required.

• Reconnect the batteries.
  • Reconnect black plastic connector on the glow plug relay. When making this connection, if you hear (or feel) the glow plug relay energize, remove the connection immediately.
  • Using wire ties, secure the wiring for the new glow plug switch.
  • Test the circuit by turning on the ignition and pressing the new glow plug switch. The glow plug light should light and you should hear the glow plug relay click.

NOTE

Be sure you do not hold the glow plug switch longer then 8 seconds or glow plug damage could result.
'84 6.2L 1/2 Ton Silverado
I have done so much with so little for so long, I am now qualified to do everything with nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
c.r.

ag4gt: In doing this you would use the 11g's ?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Use this system with 60g's and hold as long as needed as 60g's are self limiting and will not burn out from leaving them on too long. They do however require more glow time than 11g's.
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Matt C
Diesel Boss

Thanks for the help. Doing this the glow plugs will still work as normal when the controller turns them on correct? I know that the controller is only supposed to turn them on when it thinks it needs to, but sometimes it doesn't turn them on and I need them.

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE

REG CAB CLUB Member #003

Steaksauce Posse #12
Old 06-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

It will work right until it doesn't want to. The controllers on 83's were less than reliable and not worth replacing. If you do want to replace it replace it with a later model controller.
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Matt C
Diesel Boss

Thanks, what year did they make the switch to the better controller?

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE

REG CAB CLUB Member #003

Steaksauce Posse #12
Old 03-31-2015, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

1984 and older are the round style

m6VhNC2ZFyxlUwT8qH9ayDQ.jpg

1985 and newer

mldUbwLLsBOBOFBU2AFAZ6w.jpg
90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Old 03-31-2015, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Camilleri View Post
It will work right until it doesn't want to. The controllers on 83's were less than reliable and not worth replacing. If you do want to replace it replace it with a later model controller.
That's what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
Thanks, what year did they make the switch to the better controller?
Use an 89 model, not that hard to wire in, search my name and GP controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarjohn View Post
When the engine is warm then you don't need the glow plugs.
Yes you do, depending on climate, how long it sits etc.

1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluidamper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, Turbonator open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a 60x86mm cast wheel at 15psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo, Aeromotive fuel pump. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO.
2003 VW Wagon 2.0L TDI auto, silver, heavily modified-Wife's.
2004 VW Wagon TDI 5 speed-blue-also modified-Mine!

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, [email protected] mph.

2002 Gold Dmax 4 door, 2500HD 4x4-new camper/trailer hauler-minor mods and a small tow tune!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in