83 to 85+ Glow Plug Controller Swap help needed. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ordiesel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
ordiesel

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

83 to 85+ Glow Plug Controller Swap help needed.

Back ground: I'm new to Diesels and have been re-wiring some of the wires in the '83 C2500 Suburban I recently purchased (the wires connected to the started had melted onto the exhaust manifold and shorted out the harness). It was previously converted to the 85+ glow plug controller. The wiring appears to have been nicely done and the harness was extended to the controller now sits on the driver's side inner fender.

I traced all the wires from the new controller to the harness to make sure where they went.
  1. Terminal A is not used.
  2. Terminal B connects to the s terminal on the starter.
  3. Terminal C connects to the light blue wire from terminal 3 of the old glow plug controller that has been connected the two black wires from terminal 5 and 6 of the old glow plug controller.
  4. Terminal D connects to the main wiring harness and receives power when the ignition switch is in the ON position.
  5. Terminal E is grounded to the chassis.
The old controller's remaining brown and dark green wires are capped

Problem? The other day I started the suburban up and noticed that when I start the engine the glow plug light flickers and stay on constantly when the engine begins to run. Not wanting to burn up the glow plugs, I haven't run the engine more than 15 seconds after it starts to see if the glow plug light stays on.

I've never noticed glow plug light flicker and the glow plugs stay on constantly when the engine begins to run on previous diesels driven.

I understand that some glow plug cycling after starting is normal, but how long should I wait to see it its not a "normal" situation? The Suburban may have B80 or B100 in it, will that make a difference?

Is Terminal C's wiring the issue? I plan to just connect Terminal C to the glow plug wire post, however, should I put a temperature inhibitor switch inline? If so, should I use the 84-85 inhibitor switch (PN 23507005), or is there another switch that might be better?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
farmer0_1
Diesel Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to farmer0_1

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

i converted my 84 to the 87 style and did not use a inhibitor switch and have no issues with strange function. i will try to attach a photo of book wiring.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001 (Large).jpg (31.2 KB, 623 views)
84 chev k10 new crate 6.5 short box 4x4. 02 duramax 6speed stick excab vin#1GTHK291X2E188472. 84 mercedes 300d 5cylinder diesel 85 c10 6.2 suburban two wheel drive. 87 k20 6.2 four speed four wheel drive with a us gear two speed. 93 dodge cummins 3/4 ton 4x4 five speed. 01 toyota fourrunner 78 dodge 4x4 crewcab soon to be cummins powered and a stick. drove stickshifts all my life and am new member of the brotherhood of handshakers #82. number18 of the portland dp.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
UNDERHOOD

I think my '82 GP controller had something to do with the alternator output to verify whether the engine was running or not. How does the '85plus controller know when to turn itself off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
ordiesel

farmer0_1

Thanks. I try it without the inhibitor switch. I think I have to check my generator/alternator. The diodes may be fried.

UNDERHOOD

I think it gets a signal via Terminal B as there is a wire that connects from the “s” terminal on the starter to the 2 pole on the alternator/generator. Although on the '83 schematic, there is a Brown wire that connects from the 1 pole on the alternator/generator to Terminal 1 on the old controller.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
ordiesel

Update

I went ahead and connected the wire from Terminal C to the glow plug post. So far everything is working great. The glow plugs cycled a couple times after I started the engine as normal.

So here's a review for those who want to do the upgrade or are trying to correct someone else's attempt:
The wires from the new 85-93 glow plug controller's harness should be connected as follows:
  1. Terminal A is not used.
  2. Terminal B connects to the s terminal on the starter. (Or any wire in the harness that receives power only when the engine is cranking.)
  3. Terminal C connects glow plug feed stud. (See farmer0_1's attachment above or click here for another version.)
  4. Terminal D connects to the main wiring harness and receives power when the ignition switch is in the ON position.
  5. Terminal E is grounded to the chassis.
The inhibitor switch seems to not be needed. Hope that helps! Again , thanks to farmer0_1 and UNDERHOOD for their responses!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
UNDERHOOD

I'm glad that farmer0_1's idea worked. If your GP controller gives you trouble in the future, going to manual switch wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm using a cylindrical shaped relay from an old Cessna but the '82, '83 GP relay works great too.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
farmer0_1
Diesel Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to farmer0_1

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

i like my rigs to be user friendly because i don't hesitate at letting someone that i know use them. i try to keep them as close to factory as i can. i have had no problems with my 84 since i converted it to the late model controller. glad it worked out for you . i by pass any of the inhibitor switches on the glow plug circuit even if i still had the earlier set up.
84 chev k10 new crate 6.5 short box 4x4. 02 duramax 6speed stick excab vin#1GTHK291X2E188472. 84 mercedes 300d 5cylinder diesel 85 c10 6.2 suburban two wheel drive. 87 k20 6.2 four speed four wheel drive with a us gear two speed. 93 dodge cummins 3/4 ton 4x4 five speed. 01 toyota fourrunner 78 dodge 4x4 crewcab soon to be cummins powered and a stick. drove stickshifts all my life and am new member of the brotherhood of handshakers #82. number18 of the portland dp.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
ordiesel

Thanks,

I agree with both of you. I try to keep it as stock as possible for most of the wiring. I think I read somewhere that GM did away with the inhibitor switch due to calibration issues.

I did think about the manual switch, but I am going to pull my glow plugs first. I'm not sure if they are the originals or not. I'm hoping they were upgraded to AC-60s, otherwise I'll be investing in some ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in