P0101 (MAF out of range), reduced power, questions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
mikefos
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

P0101 (MAF out of range), reduced power, questions

Howdy,

Truck in signature.

Pulled the camper from Central Texas down to Port Aransas, TX. Ran fine. Humid as hell down here still. Next day started truck and it threw a P0101 code w/ reduced power message on the DIC. Cleared it and was gone for 5 days. Threw it again yesterday, again a really humid day. Cleared it but came right back. Truck seems to be running ok but is empty and not towing right now. Leaving for Central Texas in a week. I ordered a new air filter(AC Delco) and bought some MAF sensor cleaner. I have a few questions before I start messing around w/ things. Truck is stock and has 80K miles, original air filter w/ the indicator still showing plenty of life yet (although I am startinsg to wonder about this indicator as it hasn't moved for a long, long time).

1. I would prefer to wait until I got home in two weeks to start messing around w/ things related to this. Can I tow in this reduced power mode for the return trip or am I screwed and have to address this now?

2. My first step would be to remove the MAF sensor and spray it w/ the cleaner, lightly.

3. My second step would be to replace the air filter. Any tips for doing this? Some folks seem to have an easy time doing this, others struggle. I do basic things on the truck like oil/filter changes, lube, glow plug replacement.

4. Last drastic thing would be to run it in to the GM dealer in Corpus Christi, which I really don't want to do.

Your input appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Duramax/Allison
Fumoto Drain Valve
Fuel Filter Access Door
PCV Re-Route (All Season Diesel kit)
6" Powder-Coated Black Running Boards
Duraflaps
Rear Wheel House Liners
AMP BedStep
Towing a 2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS w/ a 1400/14K Equal-i-zer hitch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
mikefos
Diesel Fanatic

Looking at the air flow restriction indicator again, perhaps I've been reading this thing wrong. If I look at the core orange stem way inside it, it is at 80%, which means the air filter is probably my issue. It is the outer orange ring in the indicator that has never moved, which I thought would be the indicator, but perhaps not?

How big a battle am I in for to replace the air filter? I have one on hand (AC Delco).

Thanks,
Mike

Duramax/Allison
Fumoto Drain Valve
Fuel Filter Access Door
Duraflaps
Rear Wheel House Liners
AMP BedStep
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
WYO Chevy
Low Boost

Replacing the air filter is not a big deal IMO. Remove the screws that hold the cover and remove cover.
There is a wedge in the bottom of the air box that shoves the filter into the box to seal it, so you might have to lift the filter while pushing towards the engine. (I hope that makes sense).
Install new filter, making sure that the filter drops down past the wedge. Replace cover.

Should be it!

Back in the turbo Diesel world! Been living in the Vortec 8.1 arena for the last 10 years. Used to have a fleet of 6.2l CUCV's

2008 2500HD, LMM, CCLB, LTZ
100% unmodified (so far)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
Looking at the air flow restriction indicator again, perhaps I've been reading this thing wrong. If I look at the core orange stem way inside it, it is at 80%, which means the air filter is probably my issue. It is the outer orange ring in the indicator that has never moved, which I thought would be the indicator, but perhaps not?
How to Inspect
When the restriction indicator turns black, or is in the red/orange “change” zone, replace the filter and reset the restriction indicator.
As always mentioned on here the filter minder is pretty much useless.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 10-22-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

On the end of the new air filter, there is a sponge rubber sealing ring or gasket. If you lube that gasket with silicone spray, or silicone grease (just a very thin coat will do), it will make installing and removing the air filter a lot easier.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 10-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
mikefos
Diesel Fanatic

Got the air filter in w/ simply removing the box cover screw and cover. Thanks Ron for the tip about lubing the rubber gasket. The old filter was really dirty, so I need to probably check/replace around 40-50K miles. I drive highway 95%. Reset the filter minder but it had no effect so I am not going to pay attention to that device anymore, sheesh. Seems to have better throttle response now, too. Hopefully my P0101 doesn't show up anymore. If it does, a MAF sensor clean is next up.

Mike
Duramax/Allison
Fumoto Drain Valve
Fuel Filter Access Door
Duraflaps
Rear Wheel House Liners
AMP BedStep
Old 10-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

I would highly suggest to change your stock filter no more than 25k.
I’ve never understood people that think they can go 40k-50k before they change the airfilter.
A few have tried but it bit them in their a$$, with exactly what you’ve dealt with, why push it.

I only run aftermarket airfilters @ 5k-6k they are pretty dirty, I’ll swap out with a clean one, there’s no way a stock paper filter will take in 5+ times dirt and still flow good.

Monitor your MAF g/s, write down the reading with a new filter idling engine at operating temps, when the g/s number drops about 5 g/s, it’s time to open up your wallet and install a new airfilter.
Pictured below @ 68 degrees the number will drop to around 41-42 when the engine is at operating temps, that’s what you want to go by when it’s time to install a new filter.

Filter minders are a waist of plastic junk, on our work trucks the engine would barely run the filter needed replaced, the filter minder showed your still good to go.

It’s possible you might get another P0101, just because the engine has new airflow life and needs to relearn breathing again. Just clear it, it could take a few more times to recalibrate itself.
One way to know is know your MAF g/s also MAP compared to BARO numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9DF57A70-BFFD-4654-B569-05B1D2D84717.jpg (89.7 KB, 2 views)
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned

Last edited by D_R_C; 10-24-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
mikefos
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks for the tips DRC. What is the monitor you are running?
Duramax/Allison
Fumoto Drain Valve
Fuel Filter Access Door
Duraflaps
Rear Wheel House Liners
AMP BedStep
Old 10-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

Edge Insight CTS2
Edge has CS2 and CTS2 which has a little larger screen.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in