2008 LMM 0087 code - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
taznmich
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2008 LMM 0087 code

I have a stock LMM with about 110000 miles. Just replaced FF. I was towing my 5th wheel home and I got the 0087 code. Cleared code and off and running again. This has happened twice now. I didnt really pay attention to the amount of fuel in tank but I'm pretty sure both times it was around 1/4 tank. Been trying to firgure it out. The info display says my FF life at 0%. Once I cleanered code it goes back to 98%. I was going to replace the fuel rail plug and hope that clears it. Looking for some guidents. Thx in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

I think you'd be best served by installing a lift pump. I have never had a P0087 and I credit that to the lift pump. Rest of fuel system including all the known problem areas is stock and dates from 2008, just like yours. Buy a nice pre-engineered lift pump, or make your own for much less. Your choice. Hving a fuller tank will help the situation USUALLY, and so will having good driving habits, pulling hills in 4th or 5th gear, 2400-2800 rpm or so, slowing down, etc.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

You might consider having more than 1/4 tank of fuel especially when towing & traveling.
1/4 tank can be anywhere from a couple of gallons to maybe 5 - 6 gallons then as soon as you turn or go up or down grade, fuel will not be around the pick-up.
With a liftpump and a fuel psi gauge, you’d notice when the psi drops to zero when this happens but the engine is still running temporarily.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
taznmich
Gear Grinder

Thank you both for your comment. So if I was to ask everyone....fass or airdog lift pump. What do you all think. Thx again for your thoughts.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
corneredge
Gear Grinder

I prefer the Kennedy lift pump, its silent and easy to mount out of the way. Solved my 0087 problem
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

Airdog 100 lifetime warranty on the motor, best customer service IMO
FASS 95 lifetime warranty, questionable customer service.
Both come with everything you'll need for a easy install, you don't need any larger LP, both of these are good for up to 600 HP.

The larger LP's come with possible 1/3-1/4 tank issues where you might have to install a sump, which means drilling a large hole in the bottom of a perfectly good fuel tank to install it.
Both have a return line from the LP back to the tank for the fuel that's not needed at the engine, which means you pretty much have a open season for a lead foot.
Having the return line increases the fuel filtering, which a good thing.

Then you have Kennedy, no return line, most that have Kennedy is happy, but for most that was their first and only chosen choice.

All 3 would solve P0087 issues but would not solve low fuel tank levels, but you'd still should check all the rubber fuel lines usually around the trans up to the fuel filter head area.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned

Last edited by D_R_C; Yesterday at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in