When to change serpentine belt - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
markw8
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

When to change serpentine belt

I have an 08 LMM. 127,xxx miles. It still has the oem belt. There is no noise or any cracking I can see. We will be going from Ohio to Vancouver Canada with a truck camper and pulling a Jeep.

Is there any consences on the service life of the belt and tensioner? I don't want to change something that isn't necessary.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Will the belt and tensioner probably last for your trip and longer? Yes.

Will it totally suck if the tensioner decides to pack it in 100 miles from the nearest town, where it will take at least 24 hours to get the part in? Yes.

I would suggest at least having the parts in your truck (belt/s, idler/s and tensioner/s [I'm not sure if GMT900's have 1 or 2 belts]). It should be pretty straightforward to fix on the side of the road...

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 04-25-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

I think your manual recommends your serpentine belt change at 150k Or every 10 years, whichever comes first.
I’m a believer of (pm) preventive maintenance since working at GM. Ideally you don’t want to break down and loose productivity.
I replaced my belt, tensioner, idlers at 10 years & 100k.
The way I think is if you do maintenance now it should be good for another 127k. That’s one less thing to worry about on a trip.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 04-25-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Desert DMAX
Diesel Apprentice

For whatever its worth, at 89K we just had both Thermostats replaced and had the serpentine belt replaced at the same time.

After getting the Thermostats and belt back, I'm glad that we had the belt swapped out because little cracks had developed.

Peace of mind!
Bilstein 5100 Shocks;
-#F4-BE5-D146-HO Front
- #F4-BE5-D147-HO Rear
N-fab Black Nerf Bars
AlphaTherm AT37GM
Banks(Speed)Brake w/Switch
Mobil 1 5w-40 TD Oil Used
B5 Fuel was used, then HPR Fuel Used, now back to #2 w/lubricity formula added
Old 04-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Out of all the parts spinning with the belt, one of the two idler pulleys will be the first to fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
markw8
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
Out of all the parts spinning with the belt, one of the two idler pulleys will be the first to fail.
Thanks for the reply's

This is the kind of stuff I wanted to hear. I'm going to go ahead and change the belt and pulleys.

Mark
Old 04-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
THIS^^

Can't recall which, but since one was sloppy I did 'em all and the belt since I was already in there. Btw, on my LBZ I found it easy enough to remove the cooler tube on the lower passenger side to have room for the breaker bar to move the tensioner and pulled the belt from the bottom of the truck. It was a few years ago and my memory isn't that great or I'd offer more tips.

Also, there's mention of a particular brand of belt NOT to use. Something about building up harmful static electricity. Again, memory

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
markw8
Diesel Fanatic

I read something about a TSB about the brand belt. Does anyone know if it still applies?
Mark
Old 04-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
markw8
Diesel Fanatic

Also I'm seeing two different AC delco numbers, not sure which is correct.
Mark
Old 04-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Belt: GATES K061195HD
Idler pulley: GATES 36310
Tensioner pulley: GATES 36239

Here's what I got for my LBZ back mid 2017 from Rockauto.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in