When to change serpentine belt - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw8 View Post
Also I'm seeing two different AC delco numbers, not sure which is correct.
Mark
Depends how many alternators you have.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
markw8
Diesel Fanatic

I'm finding two numbers that one seems to be for a single alt. The other isn't saying it isn't for a single.

I don't want the Gates because of a TSB that says use only an OEM belt. I don't know if It's still valid or not. After Market belts could cause an electrostatic charge and possibly damage the transmission control module. This I think was limited to LMM's and maybe a little earlier.
Mark

Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Gatorback is the suspect, but not proven, belt in the bulletin.
Gates is not suspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
I'm finding two numbers that one seems to be for a single alt. The other isn't saying it isn't for a single.

I don't want the Gates because of a TSB that says use only an OEM belt. I don't know if It's still valid or not. After Market belts could cause an electrostatic charge and possibly damage the transmission control module. This I think was limited to LMM's and maybe a little earlier.
Mark
Yea, I shoulda maybe been clearer. I was insinuating that since I mentioned there was a belt brand "issue" and then listed what I used I was meaning to tell ya that was safe. Sorry. My head, why aren't you in there... says my wife.

Btw, I know Gates makes the ACDelco branded PS hoses and I think coolant hoses. I would not be surprised if they made AC's belts.

Per yoose, heymccall rocks!

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 04-26-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
markw8
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks everyone, it looks like I'll be looking for a Gates belt.
Mark
Old 04-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Thanks everyone, it looks like I'll be looking for a Gates belt.
Mark
The Continental 4061195 poly-v belt works well also.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Gates K061195 Multi V-Groove Belt
Assuming your truck has a single 125 or 145 alternator. No static problem with these.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 04-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
markw8
Diesel Fanatic

Yep, It's a single.
Mark
Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
69project
Diesel Starter

Quote:
I have an 08 LMM. 127,xxx miles. It still has the oem belt. There is no noise or any cracking I can see. We will be going from Ohio to Vancouver Canada with a truck camper and pulling a Jeep.

Is there any consences on the service life of the belt and tensioner? I don't want to change something that isn't necessary.

Mark
So my 2007.5 LMM serpentine belt left the truck while driving to work one day with about 130k on the truck. I thought mine was fine too. When it wants to die, it will do so without warning.

As insurance, I would get a belt and the two idler pulleys as they like to seize over time and are real easy to change if you have the belt off. I would ALSO invest in a the special tool required to change the belt. It works like a champ compared to a breaker bar or anything else you might use to relieve enough tension off the idler pulley to mount the belt. I had to change my belt in the parking lot at work and it was a real PIA.

The belt is a super tight fit between the accessory drive and the fan/radiator etc. If I didn't go back to my shop and grab the serpentine belt tool I had from a previous job, I probably would still be there trying to get that belt mounted. So if you have the right tools and parts this is less than an hour job on the side of the road. If you don't, then it's a mini-life crisis.

# 643 of the 3500 Dually Club
2007.5 CC 4x4 3500 DRW Victory Red
Old 05-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69project View Post
So my 2007.5 LMM serpentine belt left the truck while driving to work one day with about 130k on the truck. I thought mine was fine too. When it wants to die, it will do so without warning.

As insurance, I would get a belt and the two idler pulleys as they like to seize over time and are real easy to change if you have the belt off. I would ALSO invest in a the special tool required to change the belt. It works like a champ compared to a breaker bar or anything else you might use to relieve enough tension off the idler pulley to mount the belt. I had to change my belt in the parking lot at work and it was a real PIA.

The belt is a super tight fit between the accessory drive and the fan/radiator etc. If I didn't go back to my shop and grab the serpentine belt tool I had from a previous job, I probably would still be there trying to get that belt mounted. So if you have the right tools and parts this is less than an hour job on the side of the road. If you don't, then it's a mini-life crisis.
I have to agree. The breaker bar would not move enough with the air cooler tube in place. This meant I had to remove the fender liner so I could remove the air cooler tube so the bar could move enough. YMMV, but yea, it coulda been easier I bet with the exact tool.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in