glow plug issue plaguing me, need help - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
sailinstud420
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Michigan Oil Burners Member

glow plug issue plaguing me, need help

Any thoughts on glowplug issue. Truck is telling me #2 plug is bad, I put a new one in and am still intermittently throwing the same code after reseting computer. It will come on at random while driving after cleared, sometimes right away, sometimes after 3 -4 starts while running errands during the day. Seems to almost always trigger itself if I attempt the remote start. What do I check next ?

This could be my ignorance, but I checked the entire drivers side worth of plugs for voltage, I am only getting .02 volts on the meter ?? Why would that be ? I don't see any fuses related to the glowplugs to check either ?

Reg Cab Member # 70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
sailinstud420
Glow Plug

OEM remote start.

Didn't check pass side

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
vtsquid
Diesel Head

Send a message via Yahoo to vtsquid

Was the GP you replaced OEM? If not it will throw a code due to dissimilar resistance compared to the other 7.I found this out the hard way.
Aftermarket calibration by Danville Performance (Autocal w/DSP5), PCV re-route,EGR blocked, Nicktane with Baldwin BF7587, PPE lift pump with Baldwin BF1212 water separator, 285/75/17 Dura Grapplers on H2s, CTS Insight with pyro, Large fender mod.
Proud Member U/A Local 693 Plumbers/Pipefitters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member

vtsquid, what combination if glow plugs gave you problems. From my understanding the 61G plug is being discontinued and the 9G is the replacement in the ACDelco.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
roger10378
Self Ignition

I am having the same problem. Most of the time I don't get a CEL but every so often I do. The frequency varies tremendously. It my be OK for a hundred starts or it may be only one. Some times it doesn't set the CEL until a minute after it starts. It always shows GP 6 or 3. Sometimes it is one, sometimes both. Sometimes there is more than one instance even if only one start. I did have to replace #6 before this started. I used the new GP when I replaced it. All GP are the Delco most of them the original and a couple of replacements that are the new one. I just carry a cheap OBDII scanner so that I can reset the code and keep driving.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

Did you keep track of which cylinders you used the original GP and which cylinders you used the new part number. That way you'd be able to track down which style (new, old or both) is giving you problems.
When I've had a glow plug code and after I clear it, when the engine is warmed up I won't have any code again until the engine sets over night or a cold start before I get the check engine light again.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned

Last edited by D_R_C; 11-17-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

sailinstud420 hasn't checked back in since his last post to see his responses so he must of found his fix or it's not that important to him. There are so many people like this, start a thread and never check the posts.
Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; 11-17-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
gmason
Clutch

New glow plug, same error code

It's in the 20s and 30s here this week and last week I had glow plug number 3 replaced at my mechanic. the Truck sat there for a few days and when I picked it up the CEL was still on. He connected his scanner and reset the code right then. He said he thought he reset it when they replaced it a few days before. The truck ran for 5-10minutes before he reset and I tested the Remote Start to be sure.

Then after the truck sat for a few days in some cold weather I tried a remote start and the same error code popped up again.

It sure sounds like a battery or bad connection issue rather than a glow plug issue??
Next step I think I'll take and have the batteries checked for Cold Starting Amps to see if that could be the source of the issue.
Any ideas?

thanks
gary
Old 01-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Smoky_222
Sparkplug Hunter

I'd have to agree with everyone that says the glow plugs resistance. I found out the hard way about using non-OEM plugs. They worked but if the truck sat for a day or so, or was really cold during the night I'd get that plug number 2 was bad and sometimes 2 and 4 after I replaced them all with a cheaper brand. I was thinking it was my batteries since it sounded like a little drag starting. I finally read enough on it and decided to buy the AC Delco G9 that is what my 09 calls for. I haven't had a lick of problems since and my truck has sat for days and its been real cold since I replaced them. Make sure you or your mech. uses anti-seez on the news.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

Did your mechanic use OEM A/C Delco or a aftermarket cheaper quality brand?
Verify that he changed #3, I've know many mechanics that have changed the wrong one's,
That's why I'll do my own.

Like smoky said only use OEM AC Delco, I was using the G61 but now the G9's (newer model) they are priced better on Amazon.

EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in