LMM: Glow Plug Replacement Issue - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
jspafford
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Glow Plug Replacement Issue

Hi All,

Got a MIL a week ago. Scanned and said it was #8 glowplug. Finally tore it apart this morning. Old one came out easy, new one went in easy...until I tried connecting the wire back. Somehow the wire has "connected" itself to the nut, so whenever I try to either finish tightening it, or take it back loose it just twists the wire. I know it will break, and I am not sure how to get it unstuck or why it attached itself in the first place.

Has anyone had this happen?

Also, now I pull the codes and it shows the #4 code as well!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member

Can you get a pair of pliers in there to hold the wire while loosening the nut.? I just replaced all eight of mine and you have to be careful when tightening so to as not bind the wire up against the head. You can also remove the hotpipe and remove on bolt at the steering gear and push the shaft up into the column to gain more room. Be sure and tie of the steering wheel with the seat belt
-
-
-

-
-
-
-

Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
jspafford
Heat Sink

Yeah I can't explain it. I have no idea how the terminal could get stuck that tight on a wire like it is. I even tried to use a screwdriver to "push" the terminal back and off the nut. Problem is the nut is almost tight so there is little to no space to push it back.

The wire seems so thin it might just snap from too much twisting and prodding.

Last night I have a code for GP 4 and 8. I replaced #4 last year at this time. I reset the codes last night, this morning it was 30 degrees and I've started it 3 times now, and the MIL has yet to come back on?

Aggravating, I would hate to have to replace the whole harness for one terminal. If it were to break, could I just use a crimp on ring terminal?
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
c20elephant
Gone but not forgotten member

Bump for ya

jspafford, I honestly don't know if a crimped connector would hold up to the AMPs and does it need to be soldered.? Maybe some one else will chime in.

Last edited by c20elephant; 10-19-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Not sure what to say about the wire without being there, but I tend to lean towards doing plugs in full sets. Also use a smear of dielectric grease on the body threads as well as the terminal threads to keep them from getting stuck.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT [email protected] 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 700+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Short LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 1000+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in