Stock exhaust removal & shut down after remote start - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
sailinstud420
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Stock exhaust removal & shut down after remote start

I have two questions...

1. What does it take to get the stock exhaust system completely out from the downpipe back ? Looks like everything can come apart and out with the exception of the section with the cat... There is a crossbeam or two in the way.. One of them looks like an easy removal, the question is does the one that holds the Torsion Bar ends need to come out too ?

2. I am getting a code regarding a bad glow plug (will replace soon). Every time I hit the remote start the truck starts up then immediately shuts back off, are these two problems related ? Have had it shut off twice now when started with key as well.

Reg Cab Member # 70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cranked
Diesel Starter

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

2. Indeed remote start is disabled when a glow plug code is set. #4 went on me when it was -20C out, the cold leather really made appreciate my remote start.
The other day #8 went out and remote start is disabled again, gotta fix that before it gets cold again.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinstud420 View Post
I have two questions...

1. What does it take to get the stock exhaust system completely out from the downpipe back ? Looks like everything can come apart and out with the exception of the section with the cat... There is a crossbeam or two in the way.. One of them looks like an easy removal, the question is does the one that holds the Torsion Bar ends need to come out too ?

2. I am getting a code regarding a bad glow plug (will replace soon). Every time I hit the remote start the truck starts up then immediately shuts back off, are these two problems related ? Have had it shut off twice now when started with key as well.

The best way is to split at the 3 bolt and the 4 bolt flanges so that you have 3 pieces. The cat pipe, the DPF, and the muffler/tailpipe. The DPF lines go over the crossmember so you'll need to remove stay bracket and then it will drop right out. Muffler and tailpipe will come forward and just squeeze out. cat pipe will also go forward and JUST squeeze by the torsion bar.

Much easier on a hoist. Not sure how well this will work on the ground.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT [email protected] 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 700+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Short LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 1000+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
sailinstud420
Glow Plug

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Thx for exhaust answers.

Have an ongoing saga with the glow plug, I put a new one in and reset computer. Still getting the cel intermittently. It will come on at random while driving after cleared. Seems to almost always trigger itself if I attempt remote start. Thoughts?

Reg Cab Member # 70
Old 11-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
rebel7777
Diesel Boss

I would take a sawzall and cut the exhaust out, easy and fast. The last one I did the bolts were all seized in place. I lost to much skin and a finger nail to worry about saving the exhaust.

You may have an issue with your glow plug module which is burning out your glow plugs.

Sold 2012 Chevy Ext Cab 4x4, Grey w/ Black Interior - no emissions - Stock
Sold 2004.5 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab 4x4, Red w/ Black Interior - To Many Upgrades

Last edited by rebel7777; 11-01-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in