LMM: Surging while in gear - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
darreng
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Surging while in gear

Truck was running fine before I swapped trans cooler lines. Now it'll surge pretty violently only when it's in gear. Reverse or drive, doesn't matter. It'll surge when I'm stopped (and I have to stand on the brake pedal), when I'm holding a steady RPM on the freeway or city street and even seems to do it while accelerating but it is subtle. It doesn't start right away after turning the truck on and is dropped into gear. There are no codes. I was getting P0101 with reduced power and P0401, but those haven't come back since being cleared a few times.

I'm at a loss! Any help would be appreciated!

Dragonflow injectors (were 100% a waste of money and replaced)
Air Dog
Big Head Waste gate
EFI Live tuning
"Brotherhood of Handshaker's" club Member #176
SBC dual disc ceramic clutch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
darreng
Clutch

I go from park -> neutral -> drive (surges) -> neutral -> reverse (surges) -> neutral -> park.

Air Dog
Big Head Waste gate
EFI Live tuning
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Very strange. When you say that you 'swapped trans cooler lines', do you mean that you replaced the lines with either stock or aftermarket lines? I just finished replacing one of my lines and there's nothing connected with that that might cause surging that I am aware of. If you drive the truck, does this surging continue, or just happens at a standstill?

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
darreng
Clutch

I put an after-market kit on the truck. It continues while driving regardless of coasting, cruising or under throttle, albeit not as noticeable the farther the pedal is pressed, even cruising.
Air Dog
Big Head Waste gate
EFI Live tuning
Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
GM Customer Svc
Official GM Rep

Hey If ya'll want me to check your VIN's to see if there is an open service related concern let me know. Private message me your VIN and reference this thread.

Kelly J.
GM Customer Care
Available Monday-Friday 8am - 4:30pm EST

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
Old 05-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
darreng
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Svc View Post
Hey If ya'll want me to check your VIN's to see if there is an open service related concern let me know. Private message me your VIN and reference this thread.

Kelly J.
GM Customer Care
Much obliged, PM sent.

The P0101 MAF code is back with power reduced but it hasn't surged yet today with the limited amount of time I've had it running.
Air Dog
Big Head Waste gate
EFI Live tuning
Old 05-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Old Man
Diesel Head

Surge

Hello- Did you take air cleaner box off to replace cooler line ? May be not connected or loose Maf sensor or hose from air cleaner
Old 05-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
darreng
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
Hello- Did you take air cleaner box off to replace cooler line ? May be not connected or loose Maf sensor or hose from air cleaner
I did take it off. I've since checked the plug and it's indeed on, the fittings are all tight and the filter top fits snugly.
Air Dog
Big Head Waste gate
EFI Live tuning
Old 05-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
darreng
Clutch

the surging only happens when the engine warms up, and when the power is not reduced by the MAF code. I'm not sure if it's related to the DPF needing to be cleaned (I drove it on the freeway for 20 minutes and it still flashes the warning) or solely the MAF code.
Air Dog
Big Head Waste gate
EFI Live tuning
Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
ricko
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I am having this exact issue with a LMM engine in a 07 C5500 I posted on here like last year with no luck, heres my video, no idea how to embed it here.

http://youtu.be/zZSGl9fSGZo

ATP EFIlive, DSP5, Pro Fab downpipe into 4" MBRP straight pipe, All Season Diesel EGR delete,LB7 up pipe, FRPV plug, PCV rerouted,Cognito upper arms, Cognito Traction Bars, Bilstein 5100s, 20" KMC XD Misfits wrapped in 33X12.5R20 Nitto M/T
2005 Chevy 2500HD LLY EC/SB
DuramaxTuner.com EFIlive,DSP5, 4" MBRP straight pipe,3" MBRP downpipe, Suncoast Stage V transmission w/ brace, pump rub fixed, EGR blocked, PCV rerouted, AFE intake w/ mouthpiece, Air Dog II 165, Fabtech lift, custom traction bars, 20" KMC Spys w/ 35" Toyo MTs Autometer Cobalt EGT and Boost gauges, and more...
2007 C5500 CC
330hp LYE, Allison 1000 6spd, 60CA, 4.56, 4" exhaust,dpf/doc deleted, egr blocked, air ride, air cab, Koni Shocks, Tekonsha P3, Daddy Cool refrigerator console, Autometer Cobalt Boost and EGT gauges.

Last edited by ricko; 06-21-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in