Glow plugs / Wait to Start light / GM factory auto start - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
dbunn
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Glow plugs / Wait to Start light / GM factory auto start

I have the GM installed factory auto start on my truck. I noticed that the auto start seems to start the truck immediately in the morning when it is cold without waiting for the glow plugs to warm up. I can stand outside the truck and view the dash and see that the wait to start symbol is still illuminated when it cranks.

Does this sound right to you guys? It doesn't to me, but maybe I am missing something. Is there a fix for this?

Background - my prvious truck had an Viper autostart. There were two dofferent install methods form Directed Elctronics. 1st - Using a diode against the wait to start light. 2nd - Using a relay to delay the ignition sequence by a certain delay of time (30 sec). The method depended on how the light on the dash was illuminated.

As a result, it would seem to me that the autostart should make sure the glow plugs have warmed before starting. I know they are fast warming glow plugs, but in cold weather it still takes a couple seconds for them to warm up the first start of the day.

Your thoughts?

BakFLip HD Tonneau Cover
Air Lift Wireless Compressor
Air Lift Super Duty Air Bags
Linex spray in bed liner
Reese 16k Hitch
Rosen Navigation
265 70 17 Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10
Fred's 2 inch spacers

Proud member #868 of The 3500 Dually Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
LambofGod
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Hi,

I noticed the same thing this winter but the truck never had problems starting. With the old F250 7.3L I had to wait about 30 sec to start the bad boy.

6" RCD Lift
American Racing 17" Teflon Wheels
KM2 BF Goodrich 35" x 12.5" Tires
Max Energy Hypertech Tune
Rhino Spray-In Bed Liner
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
ColdWeather LMM
Self Ignition

I understand that you have a dealer installed starter, but is it made by another company or is it the one that came in the truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
ob--one
Diesel Apprentice

I understand your post but these trucks start under most situations, regardless. Here in So-Can never had issues, what ever the temp with the remote LOL.
99 c2500 6.5 597000 kms.
srapped

08 CCSB
SOLD!

LML CCSB
5" MBRP downpipe back
H&S Minimax (Tow Tune)
Dominator 3
RW Liners
Old 04-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
dbunn
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

It is the factory GM remote start - I upgraded to the Advanced two way remote - either way it is factory.

It starts but does have a slight stumble in cold weather. I read previous threads stating basically that it started regardless of plugs but I thought maybe there was an update at GM that someone was aware of that fixed this issue.

BakFLip HD Tonneau Cover
Air Lift Wireless Compressor
Air Lift Super Duty Air Bags
Linex spray in bed liner
Reese 16k Hitch
Rosen Navigation
265 70 17 Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10
Fred's 2 inch spacers

Proud member #868 of The 3500 Dually Club
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
FBA
Diesel Nut

Nor-Cal Diesel Place Club Member

Guys - the GM factory installed remote start works directly off the Canbus (GM LAN). It gets the glo-plug (heated fuel rail) signal through the Canbus. The Directed, and all other aftermarket starters with some exception, use one of two methods to establish the time to start --

1) Straight timer (usually set to 30 seconds by default - bad method)
2) Glo-plug light sensing - connected to the Glo-Plug indicator light (proper method)

Whoever said that it starts regardless of the Glo-plugs, is wrong. These starters are quite sophisticated, unlike the aftermarket units. They rely on the Canbus signals for virtually everything and even start through the Canbus, unlike the aftermarket products that are wired to the ignition switch. Aftermarket starters have a myriad of features, most quite useless, but the factory starter is built specifically for this platform.
They (aftermarket starters) pale in comparison to the factory remote start setup. You've got nothing at all to worry about with the factory remote start, despite the almost non-existent delay. Today's diesels require almost no preheat time before starting. I start in -35c with the key in under 2 seconds all the time. You may also notice that the aftermarket remote starters tend to either overcrank or undercrank quite often, due to the tach signal variances between various platforms/vehicles. Nothing will beat a GM factory installed remote start for perfect starts each and every time, regardless of environmental conditions.

I own a distribution company that has sold hundreds of thousands of remote starters over the past 18 years and have personally been involved in the design and manufacturing of several big name brands over the years.

Last edited by FBA; 04-16-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
BigJuan
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBA View Post
Guys - the GM factory installed remote start works directly off the Canbus (GM LAN). It gets the glo-plug (heated fuel rail) signal through the Canbus. The Directed, and all other aftermarket starters with some exception, use one of two methods to establish the time to start --

2) Glo-plug light sensing - connected to the Glo-Plug indicator light (proper method)

Whoever said that it starts regardless of the Glo-plugs, is wrong. These starters are quite sophisticated, unlike the aftermarket units. They rely on the Canbus signals for virtually everything and even start through the Canbus, unlike the aftermarket products that are wired to the ignition switch. Aftermarket starters have a myriad of features, most quite useless, but the factory starter is built specifically for this platform.
They (aftermarket starters) pale in comparison to the factory remote start setup. You've got nothing at all to worry about with the factory remote start, despite the almost non-existent delay. Today's diesels require almost no preheat time before starting. I start in -35c with the key in under 2 seconds all the time. You may also notice that the aftermarket remote starters tend to either overcrank or undercrank quite often, due to the tach signal variances between various platforms/vehicles. Nothing will beat a GM factory installed remote start for perfect starts each and every time, regardless of environmental conditions.

I own a distribution company that has sold hundreds of thousands of remote starters over the past 18 years and have personally been involved in the design and manufacturing of several big name brands over the years.
I was having probs with my remote start during the colder temps. Its the Factroy setup. The past month its been starting without a hickup. Seemed to be related to Colder Temps=NoStarts. Guess I'll wait till next year to see if I'm right.
LMM LTZ DUALLY//DSP5 EFI by Dustin at Diesel Addiction//Transgo Jr.//Large1Micron Nicktane Adapter//Dieselsite Coolant Filter//GatorBack//PPE Deep Trans Pan//5"MBR Straight Pipe//Hytec Rear Diff.//Michelin LTX A/T 2//B+W Hideaway//Black Rhino Lined Bed & Rims//One Source Ranch Hand Package//Murdered Lights//Blocked//Plugged//Rerouted//Amsoil Fluids & Filters//Opti-Lube//Blackstone//+220K

REPAIRS//Turbo(Warranty)//Tailgate//2 Autozone Hydroboosters//#'s 6 and 8 Glow Plug
Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Paul Clancy
Diesel Boss

What is colder in Texas? Mine- factory remote start -was flawless through Canadian winter.
2nd dmax 2009 GMC 2500hd SLE2 CC SB Z71 4wd lmm/alli 6spd, Onyx over titanium, spray in armaguard bedliner, deezee rail caps, ici gatorback flaps, gm oval step bars, gm brake controller, gm remote start and tow mirrors, 17in gm wheels, delta bed level toolbox , chrome door handles, gm 6 disc bose-xm w rear ent, Garmin nuvi 3590lmt, dic button upgrade, gm Power moonroof/rear slider, rear wheel well liners, fuel filter door, Hijacker 5th hitch, firestone ride rite bags, Rancho 9000xl, fass titanium 165. Kennedy Custom ecm. Edge cts2. Pulling 2014 Crusader 295rst Touring Edition champagne.

1st dmax 2002Bowtie 2500hd 4wd dmax/allison SB OECnyx, Sold to a lucky fellow.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
DarthDiesel
Diesel Nut

My remote start works fine in new england winter. There is a pretty good "delay" from when the lights of the truck acknowledge the fact that I hit the button to time the truck starts. I dont recall the truck starting right away when I hit the button at any point in the cold which would seem to validate FBA's explanation.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
LambofGod
Diesel Head

Good Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBA View Post

6" RCD Lift
American Racing 17" Teflon Wheels
KM2 BF Goodrich 35" x 12.5" Tires
Max Energy Hypertech Tune
Rhino Spray-In Bed Liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in