Diesel Place banner

Service stabilitrak & trailer brake

30K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Stevo6754 
#1 ·
Wasn't sure which subforum this would fit under so if its in the wrong one please move.

2009 silverado 2500, all options and aftermarkets as listed in sig.

Lately if I go over speed bumps too fast my truck would throw me the service stabilitrak, service trailer brake codes. It would do this until I turned it off and let it sit for a couple hours. I didn't think much of it since I rarely go over speed bumps too fast.

Fast forward to yesterday. Some idiot backed in to me with his truck, his ball mount hit the plastic covering on the side of the rear bumper. Was no visual damage except scratched plastic so I let the guy go. Now Im getting service stabilitrak & trailer brake randomly while just regular driving. Any ideas? Any sensors I should check?

#2 ·
Are you getting ABS and traction control lights as well? The best would to get the DTCs pulled.

#3 ·
I cant remember, Ill let you know when I drive it later. I tried to pull the DTC's problem is this is a random problem that occurs while driving, and my ppe doesnt want me to even turn the ignition all the way on while having it plugged in.

Think I might drive around till it comes on, immediately stop then try to pull the DTC's.

#4 · (Edited)
What happens when the ppe is plugged in and you turn the key to Run?
Having some odd problems. Have you tried to return to stock tuning and unmarry the PPE to see what happens.
Sometimes the trailer issue is moisture in the plug or wiring harness if the wiring has been skinned.

Brian

#5 ·
Not sure I just read the PPE said to just turn it so electronics are on not to run so I havent tried it. Also this truck has never been tuned its still stock tuned.

#7 ·
PPE is not going to help you find EBCM (abs/stabilitrak/traction control module) codes.

You'll need a tech 2. I dont think efilive will work because they have not mapped out the 2009 TCM's and 2009 stabilitrak EBCM's....I might be wrong tho.

ben

#8 ·
If you are getting ABS, TCS, Stabilitrak lights you probably either have a wheel speed issue or a power/ground issue to the module.

If you are getting only Stabilitrak lights, it is either a steering wheel angle sensor issue, yaw sensor issue, or a commucation issue with ECM/TCM.

If you do not have the opportunity to get codes, I would probably start looking at wheel speed connections and EBCM grounds. If you had codes it would put you in the right direction.

#10 ·
I lifted my truck and put 35" tires on 20x9 wheels. My stabilitrak light turns on every day. The dealer said they couldn't do anything about it cause any mod to the suspension will do this. even wheels and tires. It makes me mad!

#11 ·
I lifted my truck and put 35" tires on 20x9 wheels. My stabilitrak light turns on every day. The dealer said they couldn't do anything about it cause any mod to the suspension will do this. even wheels and tires. It makes me mad!
You can thank NHSTA at your next opportunity.

#13 ·
To many computers on our trucks!!!!!!!

#14 ·
then go buy a 12 valve.

#17 ·
Cheap Plastic Connector

Hope this Helps...Suffered the same nerve driving problem. Even went through wiring harness for faults. Was Blessed here with information that led me right to the problem. Hear goes...reach up behind the front tire(both sides if need be) for the A-arm, on top you can feel a small tube running from under the wheel well to the speed sensor for the wheels. Instead of the engineers using a tin clip they opted for a cheap PLASTIC clip to hold it to the A-arm. It gives out on some trucks and the line gets PINCHED where it passes under the wheel well liner. This intern sends a false message to your DIC when you hit a bump or driveway etc. when that arm flexes up. Well lots of Prayers Hope things work out for yea. Wishing that the design engineers read Diesel place by owners like us and correct poor applications. The list is sometime endless. Lint collecting cloth seats, give me a break! We are Americans so design with that enthusiasm. Take Pride in what you do, don't look for credit, don't look back!!

#18 ·
Haven't gotten around taking it to the dealership. Thanks Dpowerhorse and others for advice, I will go see if that is the problem now Dpower. To the others, don't hijack my thread with your nonsense bickering please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.