GM crate motor updates? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheJDMan
  • 1 Post By RickDLance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
farmertracks
High Compression

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

GM crate motor updates?

Long story short. Bought a 2006 4 door long bed with 65k miles in October. Middle of December 400 miles from home, cracked a piston. So, looking at options. My question is, does a new GM crate motor have updated pistons that are not prone to the same issues?

2006 GMC, LLY, extended cab, longbox, 4x4, ZF6 manual tranny, 5 inch straight exhaust, AFE stage II intake, EGR blocker plate and fingers stick, PCV re-routed, de-badged, chrome handles mudflaps etc, approximately 20,000 miles......averages 22 mpg

Also:

2001 2500HD extended cab, shortbox, 4x4, 6.0L with NV4500, dual 3 inch straight exhaust, chipped, custom intake, chromed out.

1985 half ton, 4x4, 6.2 diesel, bored .030, girdled, ARP head studs, GEP diamond pre-cup 6.5 heads, DSG timing gears, performance cam, banks turbo kit with Duramax intercooler, custom built injection pump with a lot of fuel. PCV re-routed, NV4500 tranny with mechanical clutch linkage, dual straight exhaust, 6" lift, 3:42 gears, 32x11.5x15 tires, 450,000++ miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

What is your HP goal?
Some trucks crack at 450rwhp for no reason, others last at 600+ rwhp with no problems.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 01-16-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
farmertracks
High Compression

I do a lot of pulling. I'm not after big HP numbers with this pickup as I have my other toy for that. Im really only asking about the new long block from GM wondering if they have updated the pistons. Just don't want to run into the same thing again because it's the exact same piston.
2006 GMC, LLY, extended cab, longbox, 4x4, ZF6 manual tranny, 5 inch straight exhaust, AFE stage II intake, EGR blocker plate and fingers stick, PCV re-routed, de-badged, chrome handles mudflaps etc, approximately 20,000 miles......averages 22 mpg

Also:

2001 2500HD extended cab, shortbox, 4x4, 6.0L with NV4500, dual 3 inch straight exhaust, chipped, custom intake, chromed out.

1985 half ton, 4x4, 6.2 diesel, bored .030, girdled, ARP head studs, GEP diamond pre-cup 6.5 heads, DSG timing gears, performance cam, banks turbo kit with Duramax intercooler, custom built injection pump with a lot of fuel. PCV re-routed, NV4500 tranny with mechanical clutch linkage, dual straight exhaust, 6" lift, 3:42 gears, 32x11.5x15 tires, 450,000++ miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
TheJDMan
Diesel Boss

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Why not just have a Duramax shop rebuild your engine with good pistons? That way there is no question.
2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD 4x4, EC, SB, LBZ, Allison 1000 6 speed,BD LH Exhaust Manifold, EGR Delete, EFI Live DSP5 tunes by Duramax Tuner, Diamond Eye 3" Downpipe, Banks 4" Monster exhaust, Banks 3" Intercooler tube, AFE Turbo Inlet Tube, Kennedy dual lift pump, Bilstein shocks, 275x70-17 BFG T/A KO2 on 17x8.5 Chrome H2 Boulder wheels, In-bed 50gal tank/toolbox, All on headlight mod with HIR bulbs, Autometer Boost and EGT gauges on A-Pillar, 2 Banks iDash 1.8 monitors.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand anyway!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
RickDLance

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I've seen bone stock telephone trucks in the shop with broken pistons. I think the aftermarket stuff is a little stronger. May want to consider Fingers pistons.

27 Duramax's so far!!

www.ProFabPerformance.com

We also handle S & B filters, Air Dog lift pumps, and Kraftwerks Superchargers.

Special Thanks to my Sponsors!!
Danville Performance, SoCal Diesel, Vibrant Performance, & ProFab Performance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in