Question: New truck, has some issues - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
turbostang7
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

New truck, has some issues

Hey guys, just picked up a new to me 06 LBZ auto truck! Got a good deal on it but it is throwing the dreaded p0087 code. So far the previous owner has put new filter head, several filters, replaced rubber lines from the head forward but not the ones back to the tank.
The truck right now is 100% bone stock with 220k on it. No injectors or cp3 has ever been changed. I have a PPE xcelerator here that eventually will go on it but I want to iron out the issues first.
Through the ppe I can see the balance rates, at least it says inj 1 bal so I'm assuming that is what it is.
Here are those numbers I pulled today.
P/d
1. -1.00mm -2.5mm
2. -.5mm. -.4mm
3. 1.8mm. 3.0mm
4. -.9mm. -2.5mm
5. 1.6mm. 2.1mm
6. -.9mm. -2.5mm
7. 1.5mm. 3.9mm
8. -.9mm. -.9mm

I understand that balance rates are only part of the issue, but in looking at the fuel rate that it displays in the PPE it stays at 20mm sometimes dropping to 19.5mm in drive, park doesn't matter. Desired and actual rail pressure match at idle.

This things smokes like a freight train under hard acceleration and will throw the code every time. Even under light throttle it smokes a ton!

Things I plan to do is change the rubber lines (they are needed anyways)
Bottle test

What's already done is the above from PO and this
Air filter is new as well as the air filter housing modded
Cleaned MAD sensor

Any input on where to go or what to look at next? I'd like to throw a lift pump on it but I'd also like to nail down the issue so I can drive the truck first! Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by OkDually; 10-09-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
turbostang7
Low Boost

Forgot to add that it seems to crank for an extended time but never fails to start, idles good no smoke or smell from the exhaust.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 04:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
duramaxforlife
Freeze Plug

Try plugging the fuel pressure relief valve. They're between 30-50 dollars. It can go bad and open up causing low rail pressure
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
turbostang7
Low Boost

I should have put that down too, I plan on going that route because it is a cheap Thing to try first off.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
turbostang7
Low Boost

Rail plug ordered, should be here tomorrow. Would it be worth it to port the fitting as well? I’m also going to buy a temporary lift pump to see if that is the issue too, something that works as a test tool is all. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
duramaxforlife
Freeze Plug

You're talking about porting the fitting that goes from the cp3 to the rail right? If you're there why not I believe people use a 3/8s drill bit when doing it
Old 10-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
turbostang7
Low Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxforlife View Post
You're talking about porting the fitting that goes from the cp3 to the rail right? If you're there why not I believe people use a 3/8s drill bit when doing it
Yes sir thatís the one. I figured itís apart might as well
Old 10-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
turbostang7
Low Boost

Not the rail plug, already had a PPE one in it. Passed bottle test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in