Question: Care and feeding of a 2007 Chevy Duramax - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By mwswarrior
  • 2 Post By duramaxforlife
  • 1 Post By wa5ngp
  • 1 Post By drgermain
  • 1 Post By steakman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ponyroper
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Care and feeding of a 2007 Chevy Duramax

Hello all, Newbie here. I just purchased a 2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax crew cab short box and am in need of some advice as I have never owned or driven a diesel truck. I bought it from a dealer and as usual they know almost nothing about it's history. They gave me the Carfax report but all that told me was that it was in a couple of accidents and I'm the fourth owner. They also gave me a vehicle history report that shows the EGR valve was replaced at 58,000, a rear axle seal was replaced at 51,000 and an endgate latch was replaced at 13,000. I'm guessing that was just warranty work history so other than that I'm flying blind and since I'm OCD about maintaining my vehicles I need to know what to do now. The pickup has 169,900 miles and according to my VIN decoder is an LBZ with a 6 speed Allison and LT1 trim. It's all stock and seems to be in pretty good shape outside of some rust starting under the fender wells and a few hail dings. I'm going to try to find the most recent owner to see if he can give me any more background but if not I'm going to go from here. I'm thinking with 170,000 on it there must have been some engine or drive train work somewhere along the line. All the dealer did was change the oil, put in 2 new batteries and replace 2 glow plugs. If I can't get any reliable history I'm going to take it to my mechanic and have all the fluids and filters changed first. What I'd like to know is what you guys recommend for fluids and filters and what else I should have done or checked at that time. The dealer put Delvac 15-40 in the engine. How often do you recommend I change the fluids? I will probably put about 3,000 miles a year on the truck mostly pulling a 10,000# 5th wheel camper so it will sit around a lot unless I need a 4x4 in the winter. I'm thinking it has more than enough power now so I don't plan on any mods or tunes unless you think they are worth it. I've been doing some research online and seen some buzz about FASS and Air Dog fuel filters. Are they worth the expense? I would appreciate any advice or comments you guys have, Thanks. Oh by the way, I paid $15,500 for it. Was that reasonable?

Last edited by OkDually; 10-05-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to DieselPlace
At the top of this section in red are some stickys with important information that will cover some of the questions you are asking.

Check out the "Longevity" thread and the FAQ for the important LBZ info

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by OkDually; 10-05-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ponyroper
Gear Grinder

Thanks OKDually. I did read that post but saw it was dated 2015 so thought maybe someone had newer info. Will reread it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
mwswarrior
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Badger State Diesel Club Member

Lone Star Diesels Member

Armed Forces Club Member

For the usage you're talking about I wouldn't bother with the modification to the fuel filter. I've run OEM filters on mine for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues.

As far as oil changes, I'd do one a year since you're doing low mileage.

The only thing to watch is diesel quality in the winter. I typically used an additive if I was travelling and didn't know the fuel options. Otherwise diesel from truck stops is usually no issue in the winter.

'09 Sierra 2500HD LMM CCSB--SOLD

'05 Silverado 2500 LLY CCSB--SOLD

Other:
'14 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2019, 03:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
duramaxforlife
Freeze Plug

I'd personally install a lift pump to take the stress off the cp3. I went with the airdog 100gph if you're not modding it you dont need the 150gph
Old 10-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
wa5ngp
Heat Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxforlife View Post
I'd personally install a lift pump to take the stress off the cp3. I went with the airdog 100gph if you're not modding it you dont need the 150gph
I'd second this one. Mine is a plain vanilla and I didn't want to hot rod it however, a month ago towing a 10K lb RV BP went into limp mode probably due to fuel starvation. did lots of stuff but final solution was a John kennedy lift pump. Dodge and Ford have them, must be a reason everyone adds them. They are in the new Dmaxs too.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
drgermain
Gear Grinder

A little info for you LBZ is the best, they fixed all the bad stuff and that goes even for the air intake, they did big improvements, and you now own a Silverado Classic keep that in mind when ordering headlights and other parts, one and a half years of special model parts. Get a tuner/monitor with a egt sensor and monitor all the data points they will tell you a lot about how your engine is doing, use it to check you fuel injectors. use an oil analysis service on your engine and trans
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
steakman
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Am agreed wi drgermain.

Sugggst as a MONITOR only. Edge Insight.
Excellent pce of equipment that will pay for itself over time.
All the info on your motor/ally you could conceivably want and the ability to read and clear codes.

As per my Longetivity thread.
There are a cpl of items that will rear their head.
1: Intermediate Steering Shaft. When you get a clunk sound turning Left at very slow speed.
2; Leaky Transmission lines. Do yourself a favour. Buy a New set, take to a Hydraulic shop - have em remove the Aluminum crimps (the cause), and replace with either proper crimped Hyd hose or have them add JIC Fittings so you can much more easily re-fit your new lines into th truck.

Bottom line:

Tires - the more rugged the lower your mileage. - same with pressures.
Lifts - the higher you go, the lower your mileage

Fuel - USE An Additive (suggest you read the Lubricity Study that can be found by searching here.).....and while you're at it, read the Air Filter Study as well.
Lift pump will NEVER Hurt. AirDog or FASS or Kennndy Duals

Think about dbl oil filtration. The OEM filters dont filter down to the particulate size that can wear cylinder walls and rings. FS2500 or AmSoil - both good units.

yea...theres likely more...
Congrats on buying an LBZ - Best of the Bunch...STILL.!

Cheers,
Theo
355,090 miles (571,465km)..
Orig: Injectors/cp3
HG's - ARP Studs: Sep '15..

Pulling a 2003 Canadian Built - Citation 26RKS 5th Wheel

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ponyroper
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakman View Post
Am agreed wi drgermain.

Sugggst as a MONITOR only. Edge Insight.
Excellent pce of equipment that will pay for itself over time.
All the info on your motor/ally you could conceivably want and the ability to read and clear codes.

As per my Longetivity thread.
There are a cpl of items that will rear their head.
1: Intermediate Steering Shaft. When you get a clunk sound turning Left at very slow speed.
2; Leaky Transmission lines. Do yourself a favour. Buy a New set, take to a Hydraulic shop - have em remove the Aluminum crimps (the cause), and replace with either proper crimped Hyd hose or have them add JIC Fittings so you can much more easily re-fit your new lines into th truck.

Bottom line:

Tires - the more rugged the lower your mileage. - same with pressures.
Lifts - the higher you go, the lower your mileage

Fuel - USE An Additive (suggest you read the Lubricity Study that can be found by searching here.).....and while you're at it, read the Air Filter Study as well.
Lift pump will NEVER Hurt. AirDog or FASS or Kennndy Duals

Think about dbl oil filtration. The OEM filters dont filter down to the particulate size that can wear cylinder walls and rings. FS2500 or AmSoil - both good units.

yea...theres likely more...
Congrats on buying an LBZ - Best of the Bunch...STILL.!

Cheers,
Theo
Thanks steakman. Did take it to a highly recommended shop to get it checked over and about the worst thing they found was a leaky transmission hose. Everything else looked good and they were pretty though. Fluids were all good but they did put on new fuel and outside tranny filters just because I didn't have any recent history for them. One thing they mentioned was that the engine could possibly have a tune on it because someone took the CAT converter off and put on a straight exhaust pipe. Their reasoning was that if someone went through that trouble they may have tuned the engine too but they couldn't tell me if there was one done. Someone also replaced the stock radio with a higher end model so evidently one of the previous 3 owners liked to tinker. One more good reason to try to contact the last owner. We discussed a lift pump and the resident expert/boss suggested that it was a good idea but since I wasn't planning on pulling big loads and will probably put less than 5,000 a year on it that a single inline FASS 7001 without filters would do the job fine. He felt the stock filter system would be OK for my use. Will probably go that route after the bank account heals a bit. On another note, I towed my little Toyota SUV home from the dealer when I bought the truck and it made 13.5 MPG doing that without the tow/haul shift working. I was pretty happy with that as I've never gotten mileage that good running empty with my '05 2500HD gasser. Haven't put a full tank of fuel through her yet but judging by the gauge and the trip odometer I'm guessing it is doing somewhere between 15 and 20 MPGs. Was not happy that the dealer didn't know or care to tell me that the tow/haul module didn't work. Local dealer quoted me over $300 to replace the shift handle and module so I ordered one online for $60 and replaced it myself. You tube videos are wonderful things for inexperienced DIY'ers like me. Diesel shop sold me some Amsoil additive and recommended a bottle every two or three fills. I may have to add something with a little more anti gelling properties before then as it will be pretty cold up here in North Dakota before I run through 3 tanks of fuel. Thanks for the recommendations guys, really helping me out. I love driving this truck, it will be hard staying out of it. Can't wait to see how it handles my camper and boat next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in