Starter or starter solenoid? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skmct

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2019, 04:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
braddunagan
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Starter or starter solenoid?

My truck has started having starter problems. The starter will disengage right after I turn the key and the motor turns 2 or 3 times. I'm thinking it may just be the solenoid gone bad. I can get a new solenoid much cheaper than a starter but I'd hate to find that's not the problem. Has anyone had this problem?

*RED 2006 LLY Duramax w/Allison Crew Cab LT, EFI Live, AEM Workhorse Polished intake, Pinnacle 4" Straight Exhaust w/5" polished Bullydog SS Tip, BD corrected manifold, Diamond Eye down pipe, Blocker plate and finger stick, Transgo JR, Transynd, Allison Deep Pan w/Filter, Fumoto Drain Valve, Fabtech 6" lift, Fabtech HD Tie rods, Cognito Pitman/Idler Brace, Dual pilar gauge w/Cobalt gauges, VALET remote start w/cool down timer, Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass filter, Line-x, Bilstein 5100 front, 5125 rear, AMP Research Electric Step, Soft Tonneau Cover, EZ-Down tailgate shock, EZ-Lift tailgate torsion, PUTCO Bed Rails, Putnam XDR Class V Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Leveled Mirrors, All LUXed up, Inalfa Sunroof, Denali wood grain Bezel & Console, New model badges, Moulding removed and decals stripped, Titan 52 gal main tank, 98 gal in bed tank, 17x9 KMC XD Diesel's w/BFG 315/70/17 AT, 64mm modified stock Turbo courtesy of Mark at Danville Performance, Airdog 150, Labonte Stage 3 water meth, Fluid Damper, ATS Co-Pilot, Anvil train horns w/5 gallon tank, Ride Rite air bags, Vizualogic headrest DVD/monitors

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

You do know how to just test your Solenoid?
With a new OEM Starter you get a new Solenoid.
There are lots of helpful hints on how to replace starter.
If you don’t know how to test Solenoid that’s on here also.
Me, I’d replace starter.
Earlier models the starter was common to go bad including me. They would just spin.

STARTER, Starter Motor
STARTER,(INCLUDES 1)
Replaced by:12670255 $158.77

SWITCH, Starter Motor
SWITCH,STARTER SOLENOID(PART OF 2) $74.43

Last edited by Rvn4me; 06-28-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
braddunagan
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
You do know how to just test your Solenoid?
With a new OEM Starter you get a new Solenoid.
There are lots of helpful hints on how to replace starter.
If you donít know how to test Solenoid thatís on here also.
Me, Iíd replace starter.
Earlier models the starter was common to go bad including me. They would just spin.

STARTER, Starter Motor
STARTER,(INCLUDES 1)
Replaced by:12670255 $158.77

SWITCH, Starter Motor
SWITCH,STARTER SOLENOID(PART OF 2) $74.43
I ordered a new solenoid, made in the USA, off eBay for $30. From working on "old school" cars, if the starter spins more than likely it's the solenoid. If that doesn't work I'm ony out $30 vs $160
*RED 2006 LLY Duramax w/Allison Crew Cab LT, EFI Live, AEM Workhorse Polished intake, Pinnacle 4" Straight Exhaust w/5" polished Bullydog SS Tip, BD corrected manifold, Diamond Eye down pipe, Blocker plate and finger stick, Transgo JR, Transynd, Allison Deep Pan w/Filter, Fumoto Drain Valve, Fabtech 6" lift, Fabtech HD Tie rods, Cognito Pitman/Idler Brace, Dual pilar gauge w/Cobalt gauges, VALET remote start w/cool down timer, Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass filter, Line-x, Bilstein 5100 front, 5125 rear, AMP Research Electric Step, Soft Tonneau Cover, EZ-Down tailgate shock, EZ-Lift tailgate torsion, PUTCO Bed Rails, Putnam XDR Class V Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Leveled Mirrors, All LUXed up, Inalfa Sunroof, Denali wood grain Bezel & Console, New model badges, Moulding removed and decals stripped, Titan 52 gal main tank, 98 gal in bed tank, 17x9 KMC XD Diesel's w/BFG 315/70/17 AT, 64mm modified stock Turbo courtesy of Mark at Danville Performance, Airdog 150, Labonte Stage 3 water meth, Fluid Damper, ATS Co-Pilot, Anvil train horns w/5 gallon tank, Ride Rite air bags, Vizualogic headrest DVD/monitors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Let us know how that $30 solenoid works
Old 07-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
skmct
Diesel Apprentice

check the batteries if voltage drops below 12 volts when cranking the ecm disengages the starter. If one battery is weak this will happen. It happened to me last week. Exact same thing changed the batteries and all is good .
Firestone ride rite air bags
Boost & EGT gages
Duramaxtunner Jack-Spade-DSP5
ATTA 45 Gal Aux tank
Diamond eye 4" Qt exhaust
B&W Turnover ball with Companion
2014 Montana HC 318RE

1930 Ford Victoria ( HOT ROD)
1964 Impala SS conv. 327/4 on the floor
Old 07-02-2019, 05:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
braddunagan
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
Let us know how that $30 solenoid works
Yes I do know how to test the solenoid. I also know that I'm trusting my gut instinct which very rarely fails me. If I'm climbing under the truck to test the solenoid because I believe that's the problem, I'm going to have a part in hand to change out said part when I find it is bad. I built my first car when I was 16, I'm 51 now. Every modification I've done on my truck has been done by me!
Yes I know there's a lot of crap on eBay. Here again, I've been on eBay almost since it's creation and at one time was even a Gold power seller. I know how to check feedback, how to weed out the BS and how to know what's legit.

You do know that GM doesn't build most of their parts branded GM, right?
I bought a solenoid made in the USA off eBay which this particular seller has a normal website. As for the solenoid I will tell you how that $30 solenoid off eBay works.

Last edited by OkDually; 07-02-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: td
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in