LBZ: New to duramax diesels, P0087 DTC - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2019, 02:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
DJH5693
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

New to duramax diesels, P0087 DTC

I bought a 06.lbz a little over a year ago and have problems with p0087 (fuel rail pressure low incase i forgot the correct code) the truck set for atleast a year when i bought it the previous owner thought the cp3 pump had gone bad long story short i called a local mechanic to tow it an fix it. $300 later and a week i get the truck back the mechanic told me fuel filter was nasty an changed it, then run ut with new filter an it became nasty an replaced again. He then called said rums like a champ come get it so i go a pick it up (being a first time duramax owner wanting to see what it would do) i get on a 4 lane highway an see what its got run very well until i went to pass a car the check engine light kicks on i back off an get to where i need to turn off running 1500 to 2000 rpms not putting under any load turn off an take off will not run over 2000 rpm (limp mode) so again long story short over the year an some change i have changed fuel filters have yet to see leaks have not found a collapsed line have a ppe racing fuel rail pressure plug installed, intake resonator plug, 3 in mbrp turbo down pipe, waiting for PVC reroute kit to come in. Im not sure if im getting trash from my tank the fuel rail pressure sensi plug is bad the cp3 pressure sendor is bad, the injectors are bad or if my egr is the problem (which i will delete soon) ive talked to a few diesel heads and a few diesel mechanics and so far im getting the same answer as what i think may be the cause i know it cant hurt to clean out the tank after setting up for atleast a year an thats really the last" cheap fix" i can think of beside 100 to 150 for cp3 an fuel rail pressure sensors i do plan on finishing out exhsust with a 4" to 5" an also upgrading cold side and hot side intake, up pipes egr delete and live wire i dont necessarily want a speed demon but i want something that can pull what i need it to ( i live on a cattle farm an break an train horses) an also roll on when i want to but im at a loss on what to do that would be most beneficial for my case

Last edited by OkDually; 04-05-2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: prefix/title adj/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2019, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
dk2429
Self Ignition

Is the truck tuned?

Old 04-07-2019, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Cleaning the tank would be a good thing in my opinion. Adding a lift pump is a good addition. Clean fuel to the engine is always a good thing. Not at all sure that will solve your P0087 problem, but it might help. Tons of posts about P0087. Can be injectors, CP3 pump and you're talking some money here.

Best of luck to you. Say HI to your horse for me.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2019, 05:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

If these codes set only on hard acceleration or when pulling a hill with a load, check fuel supply issues first. Then see if rail pressure will reach 21,000 PSI at idle, if it does then the low rail pressure under a heavy load is usually caused by a bad high pressure pump.

With the engine up to operating temperature, use the scan tool to command rail pressure to 21,000 PSI, if the rail pressure will not achieve 21,000 PSI at idle you most likely have a problem with the injectors, especially if you are having a hard start, miss, rough run or smoke and balance rates are excessive. Perform the enhanced injector return test.

Excessive restriction, fuel supply, plugged filter or sucking air. Install special tool J44638 to check vacuum restriction on fuel supply to the high pressure pump. Maximum restriction at WOT (wide open throttle) is 5 inches HG in park. When driving under hard acceleration maximum would be 7-8 inches Hg. If too high replace the fuel filter and retest.
If restriction is only a couple of inches vacuum, that could indicate that the fuel supply system is sucking air, use clear fuel lines at the filter head to check for air.

Rail pressure should read 0 PSI LBZ MPa with key on and engine off. If out of range replace the rail pressure.
Check fuel return from the high pressure limit valve or fuel pressure relief valve. If it is leaking then it will need to be replaced. We have also heard of race plugs leaking, even if you have a race plug, you may want to check for leakage at max rail pressure.

Disconnect the fuel rail pressure sensor the fuel pressure should be greater than 175 MPa as displayed on the scan too

Check fuel return from the high pressure limit valve or fuel pressure relief valve. If it is leaking then it will need to be replaced. We have also heard of race plugs leaking, even if you have a race plug, you may want to check for leakage at max rail pressure.

1 MPa (megapascal) is equal to approximately 145 PSI,

Last edited by Rvn4me; 04-07-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
Cleaning the tank would be a good thing in my opinion. Adding a lift pump is a good addition. Clean fuel to the engine is always a good thing. Not at all sure that will solve your P0087 problem, but it might help. Tons of posts about P0087. Can be injectors, CP3 pump and you're talking some money here.

Best of luck to you. Say HI to your horse for me.
I agree with the above. I've repaired numerous P0087 issues in customers trucks and it's not been a CP3 yet. All of them get a Kennedy Diesel twin lift pump setup and then his tuned ECM with the P0087 fix, if the lift pump doesn't cure it. I've yet to have one that this two step approach hasn't fixed.

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in