LBZ: Can I swap my tuned ECM from my 06 LLY to my 07 LBZ? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
mriley
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Can I swap my tuned ECM from my 06 LLY to my 07 LBZ?

Hello!

Here is what I have:

2007 Chevy Duramax Dually- Completely Stock LBZ

2006 GMC Duramax Dually- LLY Engine code. What I assume is EFI live, DSP5 position switch, AFE intake, 5 inch exhaust

I am going to sell the GMC, but would love to keep the Tunes and move them to my 07. I bought the 06 used so I have no access to a tuner/history/information. The question I have is this, can I just swap ECM's and do the ECM re-learn procedure on each truck and be done? Are these 2 ECM's interchangeable at all or am I SOL? They are both Bosch, but look like they have different part #'s

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
steakman
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Most intersting Quesion. Good Friend of mine is Diesel master Mechanic at the largest Dealership in the city....I'll touch base with him today - let ya know.

I'm leaning that you can....?? but will defer to him.

Theo

349,600 miles (562,630km)..
Orig: Injectors/cp3
HG's - ARP Studs: Sep '15..

Pulling a 2003 Canadian Built - Citation 26RKS 5th Wheel

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
mriley
Heat Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakman View Post
Most intersting Quesion. Good Friend of mine is Diesel master Mechanic at the largest Dealership in the city....I'll touch base with him today - let ya know.

I'm leaning that you can....?? but will defer to him.

Theo
That would be great, from what I am told I must have the same fuel tank and transfer case for this to work. Both of mine are the same so I think I should be ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

It will work just fine. The 06 LLY and 07 LBZ uses the same ECM.
Not any different than what people do in reversing.
People use tuners to up the 06 LLY to 07 LBZ tuning.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 04-02-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
mriley
Heat Sink

Did the swap, VATS re learn went smooth with no issues. Truck starts and idles just fine, revs to 1300 fine, but try to rev (or drive) and the truck acts as if it is hitting the rev limiter at about 1600 rpm and quite a bit of white smoke comes out of the stock exhaust. Won't go over 1600 rpm and doesn't produce white smoke at idle or any other rev point beside 1600. I turned the truck off, let it sit, and turned it back on. Let it idle for 10 minutes to give the truck some time to adjust to the new ECM, still acting as if rev limiter is being hit at 1600.

Got scared, put my factory ECM back in and everything is fine

My first thought is that I didn't run the DSP5 switch yet, and maybe it is reverting to a hot tune, not good for a factory intake/exhaust truck?

I wish I could talk to the previous owner of the '06, to know what else he had done. I don't think any internals were touched, all mods I can tell are listed above.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
steakman
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Im not so sure you can do the switch....there was a Computer OS transtiion in the 06-07 years.

Prior to, the trucks ran GM LAN - now it's CanBus. I have asked whether the install of CanBus was also done to some or all of the Classic 07's
That may be why you have 2 different PN's

Still awaiting an answer.
Theo
349,600 miles (562,630km)..
Orig: Injectors/cp3
HG's - ARP Studs: Sep '15..

Pulling a 2003 Canadian Built - Citation 26RKS 5th Wheel

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Old 04-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
mriley
Heat Sink

The answer to my question was solved after a week or two and really thinking about it. I realized yesterday that what I experienced was similar to limp mode, and thought about what might cause that....the EGR.

I realized the 06 must have a block off plate, and was tuned accordingly. I got the block off plate out of there, put it and the ECM into the 07, it BOOM it runs like an animal just like my 06. So the answer to the question is yes, the ECM's are interchangeable. Case closed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in