Nothing past 2K RPM while in gear - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

There are mainly two limp modes that the Duramax performance crowd may experience…fuel and transmission limp. The way to tell the difference without checking codes is a fuel, or engine limp, will limit rpm to usually 2000rpms allowing shifting, and a transmission limp will limit shifting without limiting rpm. Transmission limp will usually give a bang/jolt and be stuck in one gear. This is a fail safe mode. Usually pulling over and turning the truck off and cycling the key a few times will take it out of limp mode and you will be back on the road.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
browenb
Block Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GBY View Post
There are mainly two limp modes that the Duramax performance crowd may experience…fuel and transmission limp. The way to tell the difference without checking codes is a fuel, or engine limp, will limit rpm to usually 2000rpms allowing shifting, and a transmission limp will limit shifting without limiting rpm. Transmission limp will usually give a bang/jolt and be stuck in one gear. This is a fail safe mode. Usually pulling over and turning the truck off and cycling the key a few times will take it out of limp mode and you will be back on the road.
Thanks for the reply/direction... but wouldn't either one of those 'limp modes' throw a code?

I have 2 codes in the ECU, the pre heater on the intake (deleted physically but not in the ECM) and Glow Plug 3 which will be replaced this weekend.

I have zero codes in the TCU. And have never experienced the bang/jolt you described...

The only upside is that spring is here, I'll have my Camaro on the road shortly, and can just leave the truck at the shop and let them tinker with it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190314_182814.jpg (92.8 KB, 4 views)
Banks Power Ram Air Intake System, with Scoop
EGR delete, Pre-Heater delete
PPE fprv plug, rail inlets, exhaust manifolds, pipes
Nicktane CAT Fuel Filter Adapter
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
SAYWHAT
Diesel Boss

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

You state the turbo spools just fine. How much boost are you getting? Possible boost leak?
2007 Classic GMC D/A Ext. cab,s.b.,built 11-2006,Di*Priol boost and pyro gauges,GT3794VA turbo, Edge Insight CTS,Garmin GPS,MBRP catback exhaust,300* hose permanent fix tranny cooling lines,M/A pump rub kit,Prodigy bc,Reese 16,000 lb. slider 4-way tilt hitch.Luverne SS side steps,Truxedo bed cover, Duraflaps all 4 corners, Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
browenb
Block Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAYWHAT View Post
You state the turbo spools just fine. How much boost are you getting? Possible boost leak?

That's where I'm headed next... Boost leak test this evening.... hope it's this simple... Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browenb View Post
Thanks for the reply/direction... but wouldn't either one of those 'limp modes' throw a code?
I have 2 codes in the ECU, the pre heater on the intake (deleted physically but not in the ECM) and Glow Plug 3 which will be replaced this weekend.
Yes, your pre heater on the intake code that your not supplying will cause limp mode.
Anytime a delete is done you need to address all codes associated with the delete.

But since this started After you replaced the OEM turbo with a Garrett Stage1
Something isn’t happy. Good luck tracking it down.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 03-16-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Heavyevans
Clutch

Throwing darts here. If your truck has the high idle mod and the switch is on, I think your RPM's will be limited to 2K?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
browenb
Block Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyevans View Post
Throwing darts here. If your truck has the high idle mod and the switch is on, I think your RPM's will be limited to 2K?

I'm still trying to sort this out... what are you speaking to in regards to 'mod'?

My truck has an high idle option I can turn on/off through the steering wheel. But this isn't a mod, it's the factory setting/option.

/Brian
Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browenb View Post
I'm still trying to sort this out... what are you speaking to in regards to 'mod'?
High Idle mod
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71...tall-pics.html
Old 06-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
browenb
Block Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
Thanks for that link. Great article, however I do not have this mod. Only have High Idle as provided by GM, which only kicks in when it is cold.

It's back to the guys who replaced the Turbo this past fall, hopefully they sort it out.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in