Bad EGR cooler? Bad turbo? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rmoore0852
  • 1 Post By cdog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2019, 02:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Chevylifted4x4
Sparkplug Hunter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Bad EGR cooler? Bad turbo?

First time poster. I’ve been reading through lots of posts and keep coming up with bad head gasket but shop I took it to says otherwise. Ive got an 07 Silverado with an lbz. 280,000 miles. I’ve had since about 100,000 miles. The truck is all stock and problems started about 3 months ago. The truck is used primarily towing 4000-5000lb trailers. The first problem I was getting was coolant overflowing out of the bottle when towing uphill, but found out it wouldn’t overflow if I went slow and kept it around 2000 rpms or less. Upper radiator hose will stay hard for a week if I let it sit. My next problem seemed to start happening when winter came but not sure if it’s related to temperatures or not. When I start the truck the temp would rise to about 160 and heater would work. Most of the time the temp would stop rising and the temperature would go back down on the gauge. Of course I had a big air pocket somewhere in the system. The coolant would rise in the reservoir until it overflows and gets the air out, and the heater would work and temp would function normally. Of course Id have to add coolant again also. I can drive the truck normally again Until I shut it off and let it cool down, and then I usually get the air pocket again. I was sure I had a bad head gasket but wanted to confirm. Took it to a diesel shop that everyone recommended to me. Did the blue dye block test and passed without changing colors. They said thermostats weren’t working correctly and replaced those and flushed the cooling system several times. Also did NOT fail a leak down test but was loosing pressure on a cooling system pressure test. They are recommending removing the egr cooler to test for leaks first. If the egr cooler doesnt leak they are sure its the turbo with some kind of crack leaking internally. I wasnt able to find anyone else by searching forums with a bad turbo with my symptoms. I was going to try bypassing the egr cooler hoses and doing the coolant pressure test again. That would be easier than removing the whole thing wouldnt it? Does anyone have any other suggestions before I proceed? Could the head gasket still be bad even after passing the leak down test? Sorry for writing a book but I wanted to get all the info out there. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
rmoore0852
Diesel Apprentice

Find a new shop, preferably one that does diesel performance work. What you described is classic signs of head gasket. It is very normal for these to pass the block tests you described. They only leak under high boost. At idle, you have 0 boost and low heat, therefore no leakage. I bet your coolant tank has black crud in it also. That's soot from the combustion chamber.

Leaking EGR cooler will push coolant into the exhaust/intake. There is not enough pressure in the exhaust to push out the coolant. Never heard of a leaking turbo blowing coolant out of the reservoir.

The reason I say find a new shop, besides the fact that this one can't diagnose head gaskets, is that you definitely want to install head studs when they do the gaskets. A performance shop is more willing to do that. Lots of shops that do repairs strictly by the book are not willing to install or warranty parts that are not stock replacements. The stock replacement torque to yield head bolts are junk and why you are in this position.

2006 2500HD LBZ CCSB 4x4 178k miles, EFILive by ATP, 265/75/16 BFGs, Nicktane adapter w/2 micron CAT filter, Bilstein 5100's, Diamond Eye cat delete, MBRP downpipe, MBRP 4" exhaust with muffler, LML exhaust manifold and heat shield, EDGE Insight CTS, RedHead Steering gearbox, Demco Autoslide 18k hitch, ARP head studs and rod bolts, Transgo Jr with Transynd, MA pump rub kit and transfer case back half, MA transfer case brace, Kennedy single lift pump

Last edited by rmoore0852; 01-24-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Mine would do the same with the overflow. Never saw the issue you're seeing with the heater though. Does your reservoir tank have dark soot in it? Mine would only have an issue under heavy tow load. My head gaskets didn't look real bad when I pulled them but the issue is fixed now with studs and new gaskets.
Mods: 4 inch SS magnaflow turbo back, cat delete, Allison deep pan, tranny cooler flip mod, Titan 52 gallon tank, Reese signature 5th hitch, Via Air system with 3 gallon tank, Firestone air bags, train horns, Alpine navi, 285/17í Cooper SSTís on satin black Method standards,Bilsteins, Cognito UCA's, steps, blacked out bow tie, PPE oil pan, PPE manifolds up & down pipes, Mishimoto Hot & cold pipes, PPE rad hoses, billet wheel on turbo, PPE Dual Fueler, satin black powder coated intake & valve cover, PPE PCV kit with breather can, Russell stainless brake lines & hawk pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
Find a new shop, preferably one that does diesel performance work. What you described is classic signs of head gasket. It is very normal for these to pass the block tests you described. They only leak under high boost. At idle, you have 0 boost and low heat, therefore no leakage. I bet your coolant tank has black crud in it also. That's soot from the combustion chamber.

Leaking EGR cooler will push coolant into the exhaust/intake. There is not enough pressure in the exhaust to push out the coolant. Never heard of a leaking turbo blowing coolant out of the reservoir.

The reason I say find a new shop, besides the fact that this one can't diagnose head gaskets, is that you definitely want to install head studs when they do the gaskets. A performance shop is more willing to do that. Lots of shops that do repairs strictly by the book are not willing to install or warranty parts that are not stock replacements. The stock replacement torque to yield head bolts are junk and why you are in this position.
Totally agree!!

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Old 02-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
HWI
Diesel Rookie

I don't understand how the turbo would have anything to do with, coolant doesn't go to the turbo.

As far as the EGR cooler goes, mine cracked and caused a coolant loss that took me a while to narrow down. You could buy one of those cheap slide in blocker plates for the EGR, once that is in you won't get any pressure through the EGR cooler, so that should help narrow it down.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
rmoore0852
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
I don't understand how the turbo would have anything to do with, coolant doesn't go to the turbo.

As far as the EGR cooler goes, mine cracked and caused a coolant loss that took me a while to narrow down. You could buy one of those cheap slide in blocker plates for the EGR, once that is in you won't get any pressure through the EGR cooler, so that should help narrow it down.

The turbo is water cooled, and the OP has coolant blowing out the overflow and a radiator hose that is staying hard, not a mysterious coolant loss.
2006 2500HD LBZ CCSB 4x4 178k miles, EFILive by ATP, 265/75/16 BFGs, Nicktane adapter w/2 micron CAT filter, Bilstein 5100's, Diamond Eye cat delete, MBRP downpipe, MBRP 4" exhaust with muffler, LML exhaust manifold and heat shield, EDGE Insight CTS, RedHead Steering gearbox, Demco Autoslide 18k hitch, ARP head studs and rod bolts, Transgo Jr with Transynd, MA pump rub kit and transfer case back half, MA transfer case brace, Kennedy single lift pump
Old 02-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Seems coolant does go to the turbo.
(115) GM Part :97372024 PIPE, TURBO COOLANT RETURN(RIGHT SIDE OF TURBOCHARGER TO FRONT OF ENGINE RETURN HOSE)
(119) GM Part :97383472 HOSE, TURBO COOLANT RETURN
(458) GM Part:97372026 PIPE, TURBO COOLANT RETURN
(137) GM Part :97372025 PIPE, TURBO COOLANT FEED
https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...roduct=3207277

Last edited by Rvn4me; 02-02-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in