LBZ: P003A & P0087 After Head gaskets & Turbo Rebuild - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

P003A & P0087 After Head gaskets & Turbo Rebuild

Hey all. I've just finished rebuilding the top end of my 2006 LBZ and am throwing some codes and having problems. The truck cuts out or rev limits around 2k rpm. It idles smooth. When I clear the codes it will pop back up by the time I hit second or third gear.

I've checked a dozen times for leaks. None that I can see. The CP3's are connected correctly. Fuel lines are on correctly. New fuel filter. Injector balance rates are within spec. I've changed tunes to see if that would help. Same issue. Truck has just shy of 200k miles.

Anyone else had this issue? Where do I start? Are the codes related? Is it possible the PPE duel CP3 controller is causing the P0087 low rail pressure?

Here is a list of the new parts I added over and above the head gaskets and arp studs.

PPE duel Fueler with factory Cp3
New Bosch Cp3 in engine
PPE manifolds with egr pipe
PPE PCV kit with breather catch can
I had Midwest Turbo rebuild my factory turbo and add a billet wheel. Vane solenoid and sensor are factory. Apparently they checked out by MWT
Mishimoto Hot & cold pipes

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Mods: 4 inch SS magnaflow turbo back, cat delete, Allison deep pan, tranny cooler flip mod, Titan 52 gallon tank, Reese signature 5th hitch, Via Air system with 3 gallon tank, Firestone air bags, train horns, Alpine navi, 285/17í Cooper SSTís on satin black Method standards,Bilsteins, Cognito UCA's, steps, blacked out bow tie, PPE oil pan, PPE manifolds up & down pipes, Mishimoto Hot & cold pipes, PPE rad hoses, billet wheel on turbo, PPE Dual Fueler, satin black powder coated intake & valve cover, PPE PCV kit with breather can, Russell stainless brake lines & hawk pads.

Last edited by cdog; 12-15-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 02:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

Here are some pics.

Mods: 4 inch SS magnaflow turbo back, cat delete, Allison deep pan, tranny cooler flip mod, Titan 52 gallon tank, Reese signature 5th hitch, Via Air system with 3 gallon tank, Firestone air bags, train horns, Alpine navi, 285/17í Cooper SSTís on satin black Method standards,Bilsteins, Cognito UCA's, steps, blacked out bow tie, PPE oil pan, PPE manifolds up & down pipes, Mishimoto Hot & cold pipes, PPE rad hoses, billet wheel on turbo, PPE Dual Fueler, satin black powder coated intake & valve cover, PPE PCV kit with breather can, Russell stainless brake lines & hawk pads.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

Is it possible the dual CP3's are sucking the fuel line to collapse them and cutting off supply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

Actual fuel rail pressure is anywhere from 5 to 10,000 PSI lower than the desired fuel pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5D823DEC-74B0-4930-97B0-6BE847CCB836.jpg (40.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 73B5925D-35B4-4603-9A0B-967D08A39063.jpg (42.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
1KAllan90
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If it’s 10000 psi lower than desired you must be sucking air somewhere. Do you have a lift pump as well?
2006 Sierra Denali 3500 - Personally Tuned With Efi Live, 5" MBRP Stainless Downpipe Back Exhaust, 3" MBRP Downpipe, AFE Dry Filter, AirBox Mod, PPE Fuel Rail Fittings, PPE Shim Kit, PPE Fuel Tank Pickup, Airdog2 200GPH, Fleece Injection Pump Fuel Fittings,

2015 Cruze Diesel - PPEI Tuned, OzTuner Downpipe/EGR Delete Kit, Custom 2.5" Exhaust
Old 12-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KAllan90 View Post
If itís 10000 psi lower than desired you must be sucking air somewhere. Do you have a lift pump as well?
I donít. Yet. Was going to put the Kennedy set up on it.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
1KAllan90
Heat Sink

Okay, those two codes in my experience are not related. The P003A might just need to have the turbo relearned since it is rebuilt.

P0087 should be your concentration I would say. Did you change the fuel filter when you had it apart?
2006 Sierra Denali 3500 - Personally Tuned With Efi Live, 5" MBRP Stainless Downpipe Back Exhaust, 3" MBRP Downpipe, AFE Dry Filter, AirBox Mod, PPE Fuel Rail Fittings, PPE Shim Kit, PPE Fuel Tank Pickup, Airdog2 200GPH, Fleece Injection Pump Fuel Fittings,

2015 Cruze Diesel - PPEI Tuned, OzTuner Downpipe/EGR Delete Kit, Custom 2.5" Exhaust
Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Okay, those two codes in my experience are not related. The P003A might just need to have the turbo relearned since it is rebuilt.

P0087 should be your concentration I would say. Did you change the fuel filter when you had it apart?
Yes, brand new gm filter. I guess that might be the best place to check first.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
1KAllan90
Heat Sink

For sure a good place to start, could be the housing itself as well. Have you had to prime it at all to start?

Old 12-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

Quote:
For sure a good place to start, could be the housing itself as well. Have you had to prime it at all to start?
Not so far. Iím going to re torque all the hi pressure side and look any hoses to check out today. Gotta get this fixed and behind me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in