Question: Best way to clean egr crud out of Y pipe - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Best way to clean egr crud out of Y pipe

Iím doing head gaskets on my Lbz. 12 hr day yesterday & I got the pass head off. Back at it today to get the driver side out. Y pipe crud was expected. I didnít block the egr until 80k Miles or so.

What do you recommend to clean the Y & Y horn pipe with?

Do yíall know of any any coating I put on the frame to match the original waxy undercoating to match the GM finish?

Does anyone sell the firewall insulation pad? I had a rodent pick at mine a bit. Itís not horrible but Iím there and it wouldnít be a bad idea if I can find one.

Thanks in advance!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EC778638-66A9-4A46-BF99-E55A8AC7B271.jpg (124.8 KB, 23 views)
Mods: 4 inch SS magnaflow turbo back, cat delete, Allison deep pan, tranny cooler flip mod, Titan 52 gallon tank, Reese signature 5th hitch, Via Air system with 3 gallon tank, Firestone air bags, train horns, Alpine navi, 285/17í Cooper SSTís on satin black Method standards,Bilsteins, Cognito UCA's, steps, blacked out bow tie, PPE oil pan, PPE manifolds up & down pipes, Mishimoto Hot & cold pipes, PPE rad hoses, billet wheel on turbo, PPE Dual Fueler, satin black powder coated intake & valve cover, PPE PCV kit with breather can, Russell stainless brake lines & hawk pads.

Last edited by OkDually; 11-27-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
412KING
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Following

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 11-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
TheJDMan
Diesel Boss

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

I have heard that Easy Off oven cleaner works well but I have not tried it personally.
2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD 4x4, EC, SB, LBZ, Allison 1000 6 speed,BD LH Exhaust Manifold, EGR Delete, EFI Live DSP5 tunes by Duramax Tuner, Diamond Eye 3" Downpipe, Banks 4" Monster exhaust, Banks 3" Intercooler tube, AFE Turbo Inlet Tube, Kennedy dual lift pump, Bilstein shocks, 275x70-17 BFG T/A KO2 on 17x8.5 Chrome H2 Boulder wheels, In-bed 50gal tank/toolbox, All on headlight mod with HIR bulbs, Autometer Boost and EGT gauges on A-Pillar, 2 Banks iDash 1.8 monitors.

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand anyway!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

After cleaning it a little I decided to take it down to my powder coater and have him clean and do a satin black powder coat on all the top end aluminum. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Here's a pic of my PPE manifolds in Bronze titanium. As they heat cycle they should match the PPE un and down pipes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 426F3E3F-7D19-440C-B3EC-D0B917803647.jpg (130.3 KB, 20 views)
Mods: 4 inch SS magnaflow turbo back, cat delete, Allison deep pan, tranny cooler flip mod, Titan 52 gallon tank, Reese signature 5th hitch, Via Air system with 3 gallon tank, Firestone air bags, train horns, Alpine navi, 285/17í Cooper SSTís on satin black Method standards,Bilsteins, Cognito UCA's, steps, blacked out bow tie, PPE oil pan, PPE manifolds up & down pipes, Mishimoto Hot & cold pipes, PPE rad hoses, billet wheel on turbo, PPE Dual Fueler, satin black powder coated intake & valve cover, PPE PCV kit with breather can, Russell stainless brake lines & hawk pads.

Last edited by cdog; 12-03-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
steakman
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Well, for what it worth, when I was in the CAD Amed Forces, we used to clean our carboned up parts (gas powered semi auto FN's), by immersing them in Coca Cola.....and by morning they were sparkling clean. I would expect a Y bridge to take a little longer with a change or two of Coke....

Nice PPE "headers"...got a pair of those on my truck as well..installed duing HG job.

cheers,
theo
350,580 miles (564,210km)..
Orig: Injectors/cp3
HG's - ARP Studs: Sep '15..

Pulling a 2003 Canadian Built - Citation 26RKS 5th Wheel

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Last edited by steakman; 12-03-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
wh20crazy
Clutch

The shop that did mine said they steam cleaned the crud out. I really regret not at least replacing the driver side manifold.
'05 GMC Sierra, Hummer wheels & a little bending of the inner fender. 2" drop shackles. S&B mouthpiece. Studs. Kenwood stereo w/ steering wheel controls & JL Audio door speakers. Diode to keep the low beams on w/ the high beams. Oh, and a canoe rack. A truck is useless without a canoe rack.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
gjunky
Heat Sink

I cleaned Mine and the EGR cooler in my parts washer Biggest problem is it destroyed the solvent to the point I needed to filter it for 5 days. I used a spoon to get most of the crud out. Water base solvent works also.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

Progress!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21DE59CA-6D62-4E02-9C0F-5AADCAEF312F.jpg (110.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
cdog
Diesel Starter

Update!

Truck has been back together since mid December. It took a while chasing down stupid issues like the oil cooler gaskets, new idler pulleys & alternator. Still have a little drip off the bell housing. Next I’m gonna replace the power steering pump. It was howling after it got hot towing to Prescott this weekend.

The truck is a beast now with the improvements. I towed our genesis 34GS 5th wheel toyhauler up to Prescott from Scottsdale and chugged the grade in 4th gear at 2200 rpm no problem. The ppe full exhaust made a big difference in egt’s.

Next up is to have Mike L finish the trans & do a tune with switch.

Last edited by cdog; 02-19-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
steakman
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

I hear ya on the replacing parts and items....that started for me around the 275,000 mile mark...PS Pump, Steering Box, finally put in OEM Bearing hubs (I'll Never Ever go with AM sh*t again for ANY parts for that matter.), Side door Panel, Drivers door hinges.bushing kit...a whole bunch of fuel hoses RnR the Turbo, and now about to do a coolant hose in the Engine bay, and a Pinion Seal in the rear diff....plus install a good used set of running nerf bars...last set rotted out on the drivers side. Shocks, Sterring stabilizer, ball joints... I am VERY gratefull I have a great mechanic and one that works for a GM Dealership as a Diesel Tech.

But all in all, it still drives phenomenally, still looks good, and at $80 to 105 Thousand Dollars for a new one.....??

yea, not happening.

Cheers,
Theo

350,580 miles (564,210km)..
Orig: Injectors/cp3
HG's - ARP Studs: Sep '15..

Pulling a 2003 Canadian Built - Citation 26RKS 5th Wheel

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Last edited by OkDually; 02-21-2019 at 01:35 PM. Reason: lv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in