P0087 From Hell...HELP! - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
newdude
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

P0087 From Hell...HELP!

Long story, so I'm going for it. I work at a GM dealer (parts counter). My friend traded in his beloved 2006 LBZ Crew Cab 4x4 HD. 229k on it. Why did he trade it in? Here it goes:

Back in September/October 2016, he was towing his dump trailer no load in it. CP3 took a dump, he had no power whatsoever. Had it towed to a diesel shop in the area. They installed a new CP3, and any necessary parts/pieces with it, including the pump mount they broke. He got the truck back, and it ran great.

Then he started to run heating oil from the tank in his house he was taking out...

He was moving some topsoil (or was it his landscape trailer? anyway) and when going for it, he would lose all sorts of power. Checked his rail pressures, and sure enough, he was down around 13,000psi under load, P0087 set. He proceeded to take it to a different diesel shop in area, as the first shop didn't change any of the coolant/fuel hoses as he told them to. Shop number two did about $400 in diagnostics, said bad injectors.

So...what did he do? Traded it in of course! Unfortunately, this truck STILL is here. The wholesaler that bought it wants it fixed.

Things the previous owner had done to the truck:

- New CP3 due to pump failure.

- New coolant pipes that were rusty. Turns out, he has an external head gasket leak. Awesome.

- Shop 1 and 2 both installed a new "rail plug" which I assume is reference to the FPRV on the driver's rail.

- Installed (then removed) a lift pump after running into the P0087 issues. For some reason, he installed it after the fuel filter housing. Pretty sure he should have put that after the tank...

- New fuel filter housing about, 4-5 years ago.

- Truck did have an Edge tuner on it, approx. for 6 years. Not too much Level 4 usage, but a lot of level 2 or 3.

What we have done to the truck:

- 8 New (refurbished) injectors. Injectors were customer provided from InjectorsDirect.com Old ones failed the return test, 19-31 mL of fuel within the test time. GM spec calls for 18mL max.

- New CP3 pump, due to Shop 1 not willing to send out the pump to be tested to see if it was good. We were hoping that if it were bad, that we could be in for at most a warranty replacement on that pump. Instead, the wholesaler approved a GM reman instead.

- New sending unit. Old one was original, quite rusty up top. Feed port on it didn't seem to flow?

- Vacuum readings to start were 5.2 in/hg at WOT before changing fuel filter.

- New sections of rubber fuel line where there was concern.

So. Injector return rates are good now with the refurb'd units.

What happens when you drive it?

We are pretty much in the same boat as the p/o of the truck. Driving like an old man, it will run great. It will run commanded fuel pressure. Any type of power demand, it will not put out more than 12-14k psi of fuel pressure. In the service bay, you can put it to the floor and hold it, it will not bog or nothing. Command the fuel pressure via a Tech 2 to 23-24k psi at idle, and the truck will do it all day long, and match the commanded value.

What possibly could be going on here!?!? Our tech is lost AF right now. Everything done to this truck does nothing in return, except we did fix the return rates (the new injectors). I have read thread after thread on here and other Duramax forums, the tech has read the Kennedy P0087 information...

Are we overlooking internal damage? Is the filter housing sucking air? Why does this happen only when driving the truck? Hot, cold, etc. still does it.

H.E.L.P. P.L.E.A.S.E. !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by newdude; 02-07-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

I may be off base here but if this truck came in to my shop I would likely recommend a Kennedy twin lift pump setup and see if that wouldn't cure it. Too bad money was spent on injectors as a tune from Kennedy would have cured the P0087. Just my $.02.

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

https://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=289 what fuel suction readings should be.
I have also had trucks with the flexible suction hose bad in the tank (rough running and P0087 when below 2/3 of a tank.
Had one with the suction line crushed during tank installation (P0087)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

did anybody flush the fuel system after putting in the 1st cp3 pump,and did they flush it after running home heating oil thru it
Old 02-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
TheJDMan
Diesel Boss

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

All I can offer is that when I started getting P0087 codes, I fixed it with this plug.

2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD 4x4, EC, SB, LBZ, Allison 1000 6 speed,BD LH Exhaust Manifold, EGR Delete, EFI Live DSP5 tunes by Duramax Tuner, Diamond Eye 3" Downpipe, Banks 4" Monster exhaust, Banks 3" Intercooler tube, AFE Turbo Inlet Tube, Kennedy dual lift pump, Bilstein shocks, 275x70-17 BFG T/A KO2 on 17x8.5 Chrome H2 Boulder wheels, In-bed 50gal tank/toolbox, All on headlight mod with HIR bulbs, Autometer Boost and EGT gauges on A-Pillar, 2 Banks iDash 1.8 monitors.

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand anyway!
Old 02-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
newdude
Diesel Starter

Idle vacuum from idle through 3000rpm stays at the 2-3 range as listed on the Kennedy site for the vacuum gauge. Under load driving, it pulls a max of 10 in/hg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydmax View Post
I may be off base here but if this truck came in to my shop I would likely recommend a Kennedy twin lift pump setup and see if that wouldn't cure it. Too bad money was spent on injectors as a tune from Kennedy would have cured the P0087. Just my $.02.
I've noticed that many are cured with this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax3500 View Post
did anybody flush the fuel system after putting in the 1st cp3 pump,and did they flush it after running home heating oil thru it
From the first pump I am not sure. After the p/o ran heating oil through it for a bit, he switched back to diesel.

Last edited by newdude; 02-08-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
newdude
Diesel Starter

I cant edit that last one, but apparenty he was cutting the diesel he ran with the heating oil. I wonder though, if it was Kerosene instead of a red #2 oil. I'm sure at least a 50/50 mix. Right after he started running that is when the original pump took a dump, so I wonder if it was kerosene and it killed the original pump.

Last edited by newdude; 02-08-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
newdude
Diesel Starter

Forgot to add, we did the "bottle test." No fuel came out.

Last edited by newdude; 02-08-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

10" at WOT is indicative of some type of obstruction in the suction circuit. That ain't an air leak or a bad FPRV. Either the lines are collapsing, the lines are deteriorated, or something is fouled in the pickup tube.

If you haven't pulled all of your hair out yet, run the truck off a portable tank. The quick connects on the driver's side are where to tap in. For short testing, you just need the suction side. For longer testing, you'll need to return fuel to the portable tank, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
newdude
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
10" at WOT is indicative of some type of obstruction in the suction circuit. That ain't an air leak or a bad FPRV. Either the lines are collapsing, the lines are deteriorated, or something is fouled in the pickup tube.

If you haven't pulled all of your hair out yet, run the truck off a portable tank. The quick connects on the driver's side are where to tap in. For short testing, you just need the suction side. For longer testing, you'll need to return fuel to the portable tank, too.
The portable sounds like the next step to eliminate the truck fuel supply system. The sending unit in the tank (looks like a fuel pump on a gas truck) was replaced with a new one.

I just went for a ride with the tech working on it for some more info. Under 48% Accelerator Position the truck will output within 1-3k psi of commanded pressure. Fuel temps get to about 130F right after a hard pull, but do cool off to 120F. At 50% APP or more, actual pressures drop to 6-10k psi less than commanded. In park, you can command the pump to 26k psi, and it will output 26k psi. Regulator command percentage is 30-35% lite throttle, and drops to 10-15% when you tip in to it. At 100% app, output pressure hit 11k psi and tripped the P0087 and limp mode'd the truck.

I find it crazy that if its lines collapsing, that its only duplicated over 50% throttle, and while driving. Runs like a champ all the other times under 48% throttle.

Last edited by newdude; 02-08-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in