PICS - Does this look like EGR cooler leak or Head Gasket? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2016, 03:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
fearnot
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

PICS - Does this look like EGR cooler leak or Head Gasket?

I'm hoping that I'm one of the lucky ones and there is chance that this is not head gasket issue. Goopy, wet sloppy EGR and EGR cooler. Maybe the goop is because the truck doesn't come up to temp before it's driven. It's only driven for 5 minutes. By them time it's up to temp it gets parked. PICS and details below.

First, the truck in question is my dad's truck, not the truck in my sig.

Background on the truck. 006, LBZ, 100k miles, 3rd owner, build date 10/05, old style head gaskets. MBRP turbo back, 4" CAT deleted, injen intake, efi live dsp 5, boost gauge, EGT gauge, mods have only been on the truck 1 year. 2ND owner put the mods on it because it was the cool stuff that he read on the forums.
1st owner - truck was a farm truck and hauled a horse trailer sometimes, 2014 2nd owner was guy's 30 yo son. He added the mods. My dad is 3rd owner and had had the truck for 6 mos. Dad drives the truck 5 miles to and from work on economy tune.

For one month we have been dealing with low coolant and air pressure in cooling system, no coolant temp until sudden spike, firm hose in the morning, truck runs fine, tiny bit of white smoke at times.
When the cooling system is full and bled well it seems to work fine. Slow to warm up but temps rise smoothly, Temps run stable, heat runs stable, hose soft in the morning.

But we only get 1 day or so out of it. Truck seems to be exchanging air for coolant quickly. The very first thing to go is the heat, then the coolant temp starts dropping, then once there is enough air in the system then it starts blowing the coolant out of the tank and all the fun stuff that comes with air in the system.

-Cap was changed and Both thermostats changed, problem persisted.
-Pressure tested the cooling system at 10lbs completely full of coolant. Held 10lbs overnight with small leak where the heater core return hard line connects to soft line near the rad.
-Connected a clear line from pressure test cap to clear bottle of coolant. Engine at temp, no bubbles during idle. Power braked the truck and saw negative pressure in tank under hard revs and boost, no bubbles at 2k rpm and boost, air would burst into the bottle after I got off the throttle only sometimes, then no bubbles at idle again. Wierd.
- then installed pressure test gauge on cold engine after sitting overnight, freshly bled system, watched pressure to see if pressure rose. No pressure and no temp for 10 minutes of idling. I pumped 5lbs of pressure into the system when water temp was only 80, I had to do light power braking to get the system up to temp. Temps came up smooth, therms opened, pressure rose from 5lbs to 10lbs as temps came up and stayed there while idling at temp for 10 minutes.
-Shut down and did some final bleeding through upper hose
-I pumped 5lbs of pressure into the system again and let it idle again. It idled for 20 minutes at temp and pressure never rose above 5lbs. Did Some light revving during this time and it was the first time I noticed very slight white smoke from exhaust. White smoke came out mostly after letting of the throttle.

Have been wondering if problem was...
- head gaskets
- egr cooler leak
- porous turbo housing (turbo spins very smoothly with fingers, no runout)
-water pump impeller slipping, not enough flow and egr cooler boiling the coolant
- Negative pressure side of water pump pulling air in through small leak

No compression test or leak down test yet. I won't get my hand on the fitting for a few days.

After cooling system pressure did not rise above 5lbs after 20 minutes, I went into head gasket denial.

Adding up signs of possible EGR cooler leak....
  • Loosing coolant with no signs of it anywhere
  • Air entering system
  • Losing heat
  • A little white smoke
  • Oil leaking from bottom of EGR, black moist muck on cylinder head below EGR
  • EGR actuator gasket was wet when removed after a number of high pressure coolant blowout episodes trying to the truck home one day.
  • Staining of the head gasket tab at the very rear of pass side head, cylinder 7
So I decided to tear out the egr cooler and take a looksee.
Here's what it looks like....

Wetness under EGR

Manifold removed

Exhaust into EGR cooler...

Exhaust out of Cooler / EGR side of cooler

Exhaust into EGR from Cooler

Intake charge into EGR circuit

Intake charge exit side of EGR (upside down pic)

Intake manifold pics

I pressure tested the cooler in a bucket of hot water. I got a few bubbles from inside the core and then they stopped. I can't get more than 20lbs of pressure in it because I can't seem to get the other coolant nipple sealed well enough. Any tips?

Thank you for any input that you can provide on this situation.
I'll return in a couple days with compression and leak down results.

Ian

"All lights on" mod
Loungers-Driver's and Passenger's
Under-hood reel-light
Trans Go JR installed

Last edited by fearnot; 02-14-2016 at 04:01 AM. Reason: correct title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
fearnot
Diesel Apprentice

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Update:

The tide of my diagnosis turned a few times today.

Last night, I pressure tested the EGR cooler in hot water, but could not get the other hose fitting sealed well and could only get 20lbs in it. A couple of small bubbles from inside the core and then nothing.

Confidence that the sloppy EGR mess was due to a leaky cooler was falling.

This morning, I sealed it up better and pressure tested the cooler 65 degree water with 60 lbs of pressure in it. Not a single bubble. Crap.
EGR cooler hopes smashed and heart break settling in.

But what then is all this sloppiness from? ? hmmm.
When you touch this muck, it is oily, not wet. Wheels are turning.... so, this truck only drives 5 miles at a time most of it's life and recently it's been driving those miles in winter and never really coming up to temp. "Could this much muck really be condensed PCV oil vapor in the intake from a truck that never gets hot enough to burn it off? So much of it that it's flowing out of the EGR upstream into the cooler?" wow.

Well, Glow plug air fitting for compression and leak down will be here tomorrow. I guess I have to clean up the cooler and the EGR and re-install them so that I can refill with coolant, bleed it, get the truck up to temp and do a compression test and leak down.

I stuck a plastic spoon into the cooler side of the EGR and scoop out a big pile of muck. Lo and Behold, what come out with it ? ? Clear water. better described as coolant. Holy cow.

Total of one full double shot glass of coolant came out of the muck that I scraped out of the cooler entry of the EGR valve. wow.

So now I'm back to EGR cooler failure. But 60lbs of air pressure and not a single bubble? Huh. Must only open up when at temperature. That would explain why the hose stays hard. That would explain why pressure testing the cooling system at 10 and 20lbs did not show any leaks from the cooler. If this does indeed turn out to be the problem, it may very well explain many of the cases of mystery coolant loss and pressure in the system.

Deciding whether to delete or replace it.
I can't get a warm compression or leak down test until I do one or the other.

Cold compression test coming tomorrow anyway.
Will keep you updated.

"All lights on" mod
Loungers-Driver's and Passenger's
Under-hood reel-light
Trans Go JR installed

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
SAYWHAT
Diesel Boss

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

Maybe try pressure testing the EGR cooler with very hot water in it. That water you got out of the sludge could be condensate, anti- freeze would have a distinct color to it.
2007 Classic GMC D/A Ext. cab,s.b.,built 11-2006,Di*Priol boost and pyro gauges,GT3794VA turbo, Edge Insight CTS,Garmin GPS,MBRP catback exhaust,300* hose permanent fix tranny cooling lines,M/A pump rub kit,Prodigy bc,Reese 16,000 lb. slider 4-way tilt hitch.Luverne SS side steps,Truxedo bed cover, Duraflaps all 4 corners, Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
jon5212
Diesel Boss

INDP Member

Why not just delete the EGR and at least rule that out?
Old 02-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Taste the liquid. I would imagine that'd tell you right-away of it was condensate or coolant.

I just had mine apart and no such liquid. Just carbon with a bit of oiliness to it. Just like you'd expect from diesel exhaust. It had just enough oil in it to hold it together.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post8101178

Btw, most of my trips are 10 to 20 minutes.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 02-19-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
SSTuner
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Exactly the way mine looked. It's been deleted.
6" Rough Country Lift Kit, 35/12.50/17 Nitto EXO, Raceline Renegade 8, RCX 2" Rear Wheel Spacers, EFI Live with ProFab Performance EGR Delete Tube/EGR Cap with EGR/Intake Heater Delete codes disabled, Banks Ram-Air/Super Scoop, TranGo Jr. (awaiting install), PPE Trans Pan, Mag-Hytec Differential Cover, 5" Magnaflow Cat-Back with 4" MBRP Front Pipe, Magnaflow Downpipes, muffler delete, DEI Turbo Blanket, Edge Insight w/pod, Road Rhino front and rear WIY Bumper Kits, Road Master Active Suspension, Ride-Rite Air Bags Rear, B&W RVK3400 5th Wheel (Slider)/Companion, Superspring Front Kit, ATP Tuning w/DSP5.

[B]

Old 02-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
zebebad
Freeze Plug

Any updates on this truck ?
Old 02-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lingus
Diesel Apprentice

Hate to say it but...... head gaskets. I deluded my self on the Raped Ape for a few months. Same build date as yours.

The Raped Ape -2006 GMC 2500 LBZ, CCSB, 4WD, EFI Live w/mild tune, injectors @160k miles, head gaskets at 190k, , Superglide Hitch, otherwise stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in