Advice on P0336 code and attempted dealer robbery - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
fvstringpicker
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Advice on P0336 code and attempted dealer robbery

While following my wife to the dealer for an oil change in her Terrain, my 07 LBZ started skipping. The code was P0336. I told the service guy about it and he talked me into leaving it for them to check out. He said it may need a crankshaft position sensor that would cost $242 + the part. A few hours later he called and said their tech found much bigger problem in that the wiring harness was bad, 20 some pins thing had to be replaced a $4 each, $150 in supplies for a total cost of $2,987.34 + tax. I told him I wasn't going to do it and would just trade it in.
My questions are is feasible that the entire wire harness went south when its throwing only a P0336 code and should I just get rid of the truck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

If you have an automotive electrical shop near you, they will replace those pins much cheaper than the dealer, plus you will have a 2nd opinion about their condition. For my 2008 model, the crankshaft position sensor is $94.60 (oem part # 97365037) and takes 2.1 hours labor with .3 additional if you have a skid plate.

$3000 sounds like they are charging for a lot more than is disclosed here.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

DTC P0336 is Type A DTC.

Circuit/System Verification

1. If DTCs P0652 or P0653 are set, diagnose those DTCs first.
  2. The engine starts and runs.
  3. Engine running, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P0336 should not set.
  4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing

1. Ensure that the CKP sensor circuits are not routed too closely to the fuel injector wiring after-market add-on electrical equipment, solenoids, relays or motors.
  2. Ignition OFF, inspect the CKP sensor for correct installation.
    • If the sensor is loose, inspect the sensor and the O-ring for damage, replace as necessary.
  1. Inspect the engine for the following conditions:
    • The engine oil for debris
    • The crankshaft reluctor wheel for damage or foreign material passing between the sensor and reluctor wheel
    • The timing chain, tensioner, and sprockets for wear or damage
  1. If no other condition is found, replace the CKP sensor.
Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

• Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement
  • Crankshaft Reluctor and Oil Pump Drive Gear Replacement

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
fvstringpicker
Self Ignition

I got it to my old diesel mechanic who said the same thing you are. Don't know what the cost is yet but he said the dealer will want to replace the entire harness if its only the pins.
The only reason I had it at the dealer is because I followed my wife their to leave her Terrain for oil change. The guy told me they'd check it out for no cost but charged me $242 labor. I should have raised hell but I guess I had sticker shock over the estimated repair. They also charged us $22 to rotate the tires on her vehicle and we just got new tires about a month ago, from them. I ain't real happy with this crowd. They've been recently bought out by a national chain.
I appreciate the information.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in