Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/140-duramax-third-generation-2006-2007-5-lbz-lly/)
-   -   Strange LBZ glow plug issue (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/140-duramax-third-generation-2006-2007-5-lbz-lly/784290-strange-lbz-glow-plug-issue.html)

RockHopper 11-09-2015 11:30 AM

Strange LBZ glow plug issue

Ok, so i have a strange issue going on that's driving me bat **** crazy. My '06 LBZ has about 90,000 miles on it and about 2 months ago a check engine light came on. It showed code P0675 (#5 glow plug circuit) so i went to NAPA and they sold me an Autolite glow plug. I replaced the glow plug and within a few driving cycles the light came back on and it now showed P0675 and P0673. I checked the ohms on both cylinders and #5 was fine but #3 showed high so i replaced #3 with a AC Delco plug from NAPA and when they told me this was the factory plug i wondered if the Autolite plug was either bad or my truck just doesn't like it. So a few weeks go by and i finally get fed up with the Autolite and replace it with an AC Delco plug and no more code.

Today, i went to start it and the glow plug light stayed on and of course the check engine light did as well after started. Now it's throwing P0677 (#7 glow plug circuit).

What in the hell is going on?

I checked with the dealer and they said the truck had already been re-flashed after the glow plug system recall.

I have only put less than 1000 miles on it since the first plug went out. Is it common that they would all go out together? Why are only the passenger side plugs having issue's?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ramblinrodney 11-10-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockHopper (Post 7835890)
I have only put less than 1000 miles on it since the first plug went out. Is it common that they would all go out together? Why are only the passenger side plugs having issue's?

Any help would be appreciated.

That's why most people recommend if one goes bad replace all on that same side/bank and some say replace all eight.
Remember when our trucks were new and under warrenty. If one glow plug went bad the dealer would replace all eight under warennty.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...glow-plug.html

RockHopper 11-15-2015 11:31 PM

Ok, I replaced all of them. Let's see if that fixes the issue.

That #4 glow plug isn't easy to replace. I was able to get a small ratchet jammed between the steering shaft and glow plug and naturally it was the tightest of all of them. Using a box end wrench over the handle of my ratchet i was able to use the box end as a lever and provided enough torque to break the glow plug free.

Took me about 90 minutes to do 4 on the drivers side and about 15 total to do the passenger side including removing the wheel well.

Fingers crossed.

gmsumsion 11-16-2015 10:57 AM

I have a similar issue except that my truck threw all 8 glow plug codes at once. Could there be something else causing those codes or should I just go ahead and replace all 8?

GMan02GMC 11-16-2015 04:23 PM

All eight at once seems really strange. I would pull the battery leads and let the computer reset and then see what code comes back.

Ramblinrodney 11-16-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmsumsion (Post 7855186)
I have a similar issue except that my truck threw all 8 glow plug codes at once. Could there be something else causing those codes or should I just go ahead and replace all 8?

Fill in you signature.
All 8 at once, something else is going on.
Have you had the Glowplug recall update? This should of been done back in 06
06522 - REPROGRAM GLOW PLUG CONTROL MODULE
How old are your batteries?
Could be a GPCM going south.

gmsumsion 11-17-2015 12:23 AM

I'll try to figure out the signature thing the truck is an '07 that I bought used in 2010. I do not think it had a recall done. Does the recall apply to the early 2007s?

Batteries are about 1 year old. I will try disconnecting and reconnecting the leads.

Ramblinrodney 11-17-2015 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmsumsion (Post 7857322)
Does the recall apply to the early 2007s

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK
2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK
Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

RockHopper 12-15-2015 12:56 PM

An update....

After replacing all 8 glow plugs. The CEL is off and has stayed off. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe replacing just the 4 on that side would have fixed it but I figured why take the chance on letting the others get old and possible break. It's cheap insurance.

Super8 12-15-2015 05:13 PM

Just a reminder for those needing to replace glow plugs, AC Delco are the recommendation for a reason. I did the same as the OP and the Autolite doesn't work and will cause the CEL. Also I read somewhere that just because it says a certain cylinder is the problem there is no absolute guarantee that is accurate you need to test each to find the naughty one.