LBZ: Intermittent idle issue and extremely high fuel pressure at idle - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
steverado
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Intermittent idle issue and extremely high fuel pressure at idle

Looking for some insight in to this problem w/ my LBZ. I've had it to the dealer, and their solution was a new ECM...which seemed to be the fix, until yesterday.

I've had an intermittent drivability issue with the truck. Here it is:

Upon start up, my fuel pressure gauge will read 15,000psi, and the idle will be up and down between 700rpm and 1000rpm. Its very rough, and sounds almost as if its hydrolocking a cylinder...a loud clanging, if you will. When I depress the accelerator pedal, the RPM's drop down as does the fuel pressure, but the engine drops to around 500rpm. If I try and drive, its definitely in some sort of reduced power mode, and I can't get it up over about 7mph.

There is no set time in which this happens, wether it be at operating temp, or cold start. Sometimes after I shut it down, and re-start after a few minutes, the issue is gone. Other times, it is still there.

SES light is on, but I don't recal the code at this time.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

'06 Silverado 2500HD EC/SB, D/A LBZ, Banks Ram Air, DuramaxTuner ECM/DSP5, Transgo JR, PCV reroute, PPE rear cover, Cognito UCA's, Cognito pitman/idler supports, Kryptonite TR's, 1" rear block, Bilstein 5100's F & R, 20x9 BMF Novakanes Death Metal Black, Toyo AT2 Xtreme 35x12.50's, PPE gauges, Kenwood/Garmin DNX6160 nav head unit, Audiovox camera hidden in the tailgate protector

Last edited by steverado; 10-13-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
dmtcm
Diesel Starter

Sounds like you have a FPR sticking intermittently. Take a look at the fuel return ratings
and your injector balance ratings. If your balance rates are going high or low (positive or negative numbers) when the rail pressure goes high, that tells me your ECM is trying to compensate for the change in rail pressure which is normal for the ECM to do that. You should see numbers around -2.6 to 2.6 when it occurs. If the numbers don't go higher or lower than that, the injectors are fine. they should return to normal when the rail pressure comes back down to the desired pressure. Return pressure needs to vary with the changing rail pressure.
Knowing what the code is that you have will help figure out what's going on.
The rail pressure is getting too high for the injectors to be able to open properly. The knocking noise is the injectors struggling to open and the cylinders becoming too lean and creating engine knock.

'Big Red' 2007 chevy 2500HD cc/lb LBZ, EFI by Kory [email protected] LATuning w/ dp5, egr delete, BatmoWheel, air box mod,3" down pipe, 4" MBRP, race plug, FASS pump with modded fuel lines,fuel filter relocated, Glowshift 3in1 gauge, LMM tvs, Suncoast G-Max 6-3 w/ hydraulics upgrade by Baker's Trans.,Suncoast 1058 converter, lockup switch, Toyo LT285/55/20's on HD Series rims, Rancho RS5000 on front, RS9000's on rear.
[email protected] mph - Retired to dragging around ->

2005 GMC 2500HD Ex/cab swb 4x4, converted from 8.1l gas to LBZ. Danville 68mm billet turbo, Ind. Inj. nozzles, Suncoast stage V w/1058, PPE hotpipe, modded cold pipe, Rancho shocks, tie rod sleeves, Cal Traks, EfiLive by Kory, FASS pump, ISSPRO Gauges, ect...
Finished as runner up at the 2014 NHRDA world finals in SD class.
1st place in SD class at the 2015 NHRDA Texas Spring Nationals.

Wife's Toy- 2007 GMC 2500hd cc/swb 4x4, bone stock for now muahhahahaha!!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
steverado
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtcm View Post
Sounds like you have a FPR sticking intermittently. Take a look at the fuel return ratings
and your injector balance ratings. If your balance rates are going high or low (positive or negative numbers) when the rail pressure goes high, that tells me your ECM is trying to compensate for the change in rail pressure which is normal for the ECM to do that. You should see numbers around -2.6 to 2.6 when it occurs. If the numbers don't go higher or lower than that, the injectors are fine. they should return to normal when the rail pressure comes back down to the desired pressure. Return pressure needs to vary with the changing rail pressure.
Knowing what the code is that you have will help figure out what's going on.
The rail pressure is getting too high for the injectors to be able to open properly. The knocking noise is the injectors struggling to open and the cylinders becoming too lean and creating engine knock.
Thanks for your insight. We checked balance rates on the Tech2 when I had it in last time for the ECM. Didn't see anything +/- 1.9 w/ balance rates.

Im just having a hell of a time duplicating the issue on demand, so servicing it under GM Certified warranty is challenging. My technician is my best friend, so he pushes tech assistance all he can...but they're tight asses. Ill get the code tomorrow, but im pretty sure it was "LOW FUEL RAIL PRESSURE."
'06 Silverado 2500HD EC/SB, D/A LBZ, Banks Ram Air, DuramaxTuner ECM/DSP5, Transgo JR, PCV reroute, PPE rear cover, Cognito UCA's, Cognito pitman/idler supports, Kryptonite TR's, 1" rear block, Bilstein 5100's F & R, 20x9 BMF Novakanes Death Metal Black, Toyo AT2 Xtreme 35x12.50's, PPE gauges, Kenwood/Garmin DNX6160 nav head unit, Audiovox camera hidden in the tailgate protector

Last edited by steverado; 10-13-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
steverado
Clutch

Looks like I am getting a new fuel pump/regulator and possibly 8 new injectors under warranty. Guess I'll have to see how this works out on Wednesday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in