Long cranking or no start when hot - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
rennat_2006
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Long cranking or no start when hot

So ive noticed in the last week or so that the truck sometime takes longer to start, I definetely noticed it but my troubleshooting mindset didnt click in so i dont know if it was just after a heat soak or not. I didnt mess around with it because of how random it was and it would only take an extra second or two of cranking to get it to fire. Well tonight the temperature was like 85* and i was running the A/C going down the freeway. I shut the truck down for like a half of an hour and went back out to start it for it to crank for like 10-15 seconds and not fire so i let off and let the starter cool for a minute and tried it again and it fired up and i instantly shut it down to go see if the primer pump had pressure. I was able to pump it atleast 3/4 times. I go and and drive it for like 10 minutes and shut it down for another half of an hour to come out and have it crank for like 10 seconds and not fire. Went out and pumped the primer like half a dozen times and it fired up. Went down and got a fuel filter for it and installed it just for ****s and giggles(only had 3800 miles on the old one) and took the bleeder screw out and primed it until i had fuel, Replaced the bleeder screw and primed it until the pump got hard and walked away to put the tools away. I came back like 5 minutes later and it had already lost 4/5 pumps worth of pressure.

Like i mentioned above ive been running the a/c today and it seemed like at stops idling in gear it kind of had a little surge to it, not enough to see it on the tach just barely enough to feel.

I visually looked over the lines coming into and out of the filter and across the front of the engine and didnt see any visual leaks. Im going to check the injector balance rates tomorrow morning with a techII. I quickly looked over the WIF sensor and didnt see any real obvious cracks but the wires are broken off of it anyways so its going to be replaced one way or another, Isnt there a vender here that sells plugs for the WIF sensor on the filters? O-ring isnt cut or anything on the bleeder screw but just for peace of mind i will probably replace that anyways shortly because i have seen so many of them break. I was thinking check valve inside of the filter housing but my friend the duramax tech that still works at the dealership i used to work for said that when they go bad it usaully bleeds off over night then you go out and it will run for a second and shut off.

So much for taking it outta town tomorrow The last time we went on vacation i was having random hard starting with my blazer to come home to it not starting at all and needing a fuel pump and now right before we go im having fuel issues with the duramax

5" Flo-Pro exhaust with 6" tip, s&b intake, EFI live, Transgojr, Allison deep pan, Nicktane cat adapter, 17" wheels with 285's, nerfbars, ventvisors, fronts tinted to match rears with shadeband, and remote start.

2000 Zr2 Blazer
SAS(HP d44), 4.88's, SYE, Wagoneer springs, 36" Iroks, Beadlocks, full highsteer, CV drivelines, etc

Last edited by rennat_2006; 05-15-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
rennat_2006
Diesel Head

i checked balance rates today and number 5 and 7 were a little high compared to the rest. In park cylinder 5 and 7 were around + or -2.5 while the rest were + or - 1. Fuel pressure was good ramping it up to full pressure and watching the fuel pressure regulator on the graph with the tech2 the graph was kind of saw toothed(-_-_-_).

5" Flo-Pro exhaust with 6" tip, s&b intake, EFI live, Transgojr, Allison deep pan, Nicktane cat adapter, 17" wheels with 285's, nerfbars, ventvisors, fronts tinted to match rears with shadeband, and remote start.

2000 Zr2 Blazer
SAS(HP d44), 4.88's, SYE, Wagoneer springs, 36" Iroks, Beadlocks, full highsteer, CV drivelines, etc
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
jettech
Diesel Champ

I've read as long as they are no more than +/- 4 you're ok. It sure sounds like you're loosing prime somewhere.
2006 Silverado 2500HD ec/sb, 6.6L LBZ, BD exhaust manifold, SD manifold, Airdog 100, S&B cold air kit, MBRP 304 catback exhaust, Tony's PCV reroute, Autometer boost & Pyro on a-pillar, Diablo Predator, 43 gal. Titan fuel tank, Rhino-liner, Retrax cover, TracRac system, Lund Trident bug shield, Schefenacker TTT tow mirrors, Duraflaps, Cobra 29 LX CB, Pioneer AVIC-X910BT head unit, Allison deep pan & filter & Suncoast filter lock with Transynd fluid, MA pump rub fix, upgraded Setrab Transmission cooler, Raptor 5" oval step bars, 16k pullrite superglide 5th wheel hitch, MaxBrake trailer brake controller, CX1042 air horn behind grille, Viair 20007 air source in bed

2006 32ft Forest River Cherokee 285B+ 5th wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
steakman
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

...yup. You have air entrainment somehwere. LIkely culprit...?? Fuel filter or WIF sensor is cracked. The only reason a duramax wont fire..is cause it aint got fuel..period. If it takes longer..you've defiinitely got air somewhere.

Check you tightness on the oem filter
Check your WIF sensor to see it aint cracked.

If the above 2 dont work - sell truck and buy a Datsun..LOL (jk)

Theo
355,090 miles (571,465km)..
Orig: Injectors/cp3
HG's - ARP Studs: Sep '15..

Pulling a 2003 Canadian Built - Citation 26RKS 5th Wheel

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Last edited by steakman; 05-16-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
MB1
Diesel Boss

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Have you done any maintenance/ mods at all lately?

I was worrying about my front end clunking and grinding finally figured out it was the mudflaps I had put on.........
FASS 150 Titanium
II Twins
ACR member #21
Old 05-16-2010, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
wreedLBZ
Diesel Mythbuster

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Lone Star Diesels Member

wif sensor

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 2WD LBZ, Banks Six-Gun w/PDA, Magnaflow 4", TB PCV re-route & Trans lines, Weathertechs, AVH-P3100DVD, Focal Access 165s, Bushwackers, Caterpillar batteries PN#127-0826, Energy Suspension Body Mounts
S O L D
Cognito 4-6 NTBD, Cognito UCAs, Cognito HD Tie Rods, Bilstein shocks, 3.5" rear block === Riding on Toyo M/T 33x12.5R18 on KMC XD Diesels.
Rotella, Transynd, and AMSOIL fluids

2007 Ford F-150 5.4L 4x4 King Ranch, N-Fab LB 4x PIAA 520s, 2" Lift 285/55R20s, Bilstein 5100s, Weathertechs
2007 Honda CR-V EL-X 4WD
Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
rennat_2006
Diesel Head

i replaced the fuel filter after it started and verified i had no leaks.

its fixed now though. I got a tank of fuel from work that a coworker put some alcohol in just in case the 55 gal drum had some water in it. Well i took the truck outta town and ran what i had in the tank all of the way out and refilled with fuel from shell. Havent had any problems with it since i refilled this morning so i guess my coworker must have put a ton of alcohol in it, it was winter fuel, or maybe even both then with the 85* weather running the ac and letting it heatsoak the fuel was evaporating or something. Thats all i can think of.

2000 Zr2 Blazer
Old 05-17-2010, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
rennat_2006
Diesel Head

figured it out. Bad fuel. I got some fuel from work from a truck i had to drop the tank on. A coworker put it in a 55 gallon drum for me and put some alcohol in it just in case the drum had any water in it or anything. Well i dont know how much he put in, maybe it was winter fuel, or maybe both then coupled with 85* temps running the ac then letting it heat soak it must have been evaporating in the fuel rails or something. Ran the tank down and refilled with fresh fuel and haavent had any problems since.

2000 Zr2 Blazer
Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
403DMAX
Diesel Head

Hey, I know you said you no longer had any issues, but you did say that the prime was being lost??? I think you may have remedied the issue when you changed the filter. The oring may not have been seated or something. I would keep a close eye on its behavior to make sure you dont have a bad o-ring in the primer on the filter head that may have been masked by you searching elsewhere for the time being. I often get DIY customers w/doubled up orings on the filter or cracked WIF sensor or a leaking primer pump oring...etc. Remember, unless you have an aftermarket lift pump, the dmax fuel system is under vacuum from tank to CP3, so any leaks will most likely not drip unless its @ a low point. The leaks will be an entrance for air to cause fuel to bleed back to tank.
2011 3500HD LT CC/SB LML
2013 3500HD CC/LB DRW Denali
Proud Member of the dually club [COLOR=red]#856[/COLOR
Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
rennat_2006
Diesel Head

I changed the filter friday night and it continued to do it later friday night then all day saturday until i filled up Sunday morning. Ran the whole tank of fresh fuel through it now too and everything is working fine.

2000 Zr2 Blazer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in