High Idle on DIC? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY) Discuss the third generation (2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion also belongs in this forum due to the similarities of the 2006 LBZ and the 2006 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Heron
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

High Idle on DIC?

A couple dumb questions for a new Classic owner:

What is the HIGH IDLE choice on the DIC when you go thru the different choices? What is it used for?

Okay and while I'm at it my truck now has 100 miles on it and I have not beat on it at all but will it downshift and take off if you get into it and want to pass someone. It doesn't seem to be downshifting or maybe this tranny is so smooth I cannot feel it...?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
FlyACL

High idle option ups the idle to 1200 RPM for warming the truck up faster. There are certain conditions that must be met first, like temp below 32* and such. It is in the manual (pg. 2-4 in the diesel supplement). I would turn it on. If you live in FL or CA odds are it will never turn on because it is not cold enough. If you live in MN, it will be on tomorrow morning.

As for you other question, I recommend you start getting up on it. No need to take it easy. Truck is a tank and you will be better off breaking it in hard.

Take care~

PS - Put your tuck info in your sig, then when you post everyone will know what year, engine, etc you have.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2006, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
FLSTFI Dave

Just turn the high idle function on. Then it will only come on if it is needed. It has to be cold out like 32 or lower. Oil and engine has to be cold. Helps truck warm up. Once warm it returns to normal idle.

It takes a hard push on the go pedal to get a down shift. These trucks have lots of torque so they can pass with out a down shift. Down shift from 6 to 5 is smooth so you may not feel it. Down shift to 4 is noticable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Heron
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyACL;1395172;
High idle option ups the idle to 1200 RPM for warming the truck up faster. There are certain conditions that must be met first, like temp below 32* and such. It is in the manual (pg. 2-4 in the diesel supplement). I would turn it on. If you live in FL or CA odds are it will never turn on because it is not cold enough. If you live in MN, it will be on tomorrow morning.

As for you other question, I recommend you start getting up on it. No need to take it easy. Truck is a tank and you will be better off breaking it in hard.

Take care~

PS - Put your tuck info in your sig, then when you post everyone will know what year, engine, etc you have.

Sorry, haven't found that in the manual yet but I will turn the function on at lunch today.

The break in is a tough topic. So many opinions on what to do and not to do. I've heard everything from run it hard to follow the manual to throw a trailer on it and lug the motor to seat the rings...

I thought that was the deal with the downshifting but needed confirmation.

I've tried to do my sig and cannot get my cursor to get into the box...?

Thanks for the advice gentlemen!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
FlyACL

Here is the cut and paste from the suplement, you can also download pdf verisons of the manuals at www.mygmlink.com Take care~

Elevated Idle/Exhaust Restrictor

The engine has a cold temperature high idle and exhaust restrictor feature which elevates the engines idle speed from 680 to 1200 rpms, and restricts the exhaust gas flow, when outside temperatures are below 32°F (0°C), and the engine coolant temperature is below 150°F (65°C.) This feature enhances heater performance by raising the engine coolant temperature faster.

For pickup models, this feature can be turned off and on using the DIC steering wheel control buttons. If your vehicle is not equipped with the DIC steering wheel control buttons, do the following to turn on this feature:

1. Turn the ignition to RUN, with the vehicle off.
2. Press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold while quickly pressing the brake pedal three times in less than eight seconds.
3. Release the accelerator pedal and start the engine.

When the engine is started, it will slowly ramp up to the high idle speed after a delay of a few seconds up to approximately two minutes. For this method to work properly there must be no throttle or brake pedal faults. The engine idle speed will return to normal once the following conditions are met:

• Once engine coolant temperature reaches 150°F (65°C).
• Air intake temperature reaches 32°F (0°C).

The high idle speed will be temporarily interrupted and the engine speed will return to normal if any of the following conditions occur:

• The brake pedal is applied.
• The accelerator pedal is pressed.
• The automatic transmission is shifted out of PARK (P) or NEUTRAL (N).
• The clutch pedal on the manual transmission is pressed (pickup models).
• Vehicle speed is detected.

Once these inputs are removed, the engine idle speed will slowly ramp back up to high idle after the normal delay, if the conditions for engine coolant temperature and air intake temperature are still met.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
saratoga
Diesel Kingpin

Chances are it isn't downshifting if you're just easing into it to pass someone... push down harder and it will.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
porterz
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to porterz

I think it is easier having autostart..
Hot edge juice w/attitude ATS Mount,
Pioneer mp3, 8 inch sub 350w amp

95 Dodge stealth RT/TT way too many mods.

94 Dodge Stealth RT/TT boosting 17psi
Cold Air/ AWD/AWS 6spd 2000watt amp 2
10"subs
(DOWN FOR REBUILD )
05 CTS-v
Old 11-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Heron
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterz;1395499;
I think it is easier having autostart..
How do you like it? I've got one on the way and will be installing it this week.
Does the unit give the truck enough time for the glow plugs and does it allow enough time for the turbo to cool down. I think it can only be set to idle for 2 minutes before shutting down... I've got the door bypass module coming also so I can control the door locks with remote start fob
Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
oliver454
Glow Plug

Does anyone know if the DIC in 2003 LB7's have this high idle option? No mention of it in my "Diesel Supplement". Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in