Question: 2003 2500HD 8.1 Lifter Failure - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Vehicles > GM Gassers
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

GM Gassers Discuss any of the GM gas engines & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By LCPullman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2020, 04:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
LCPullman
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2003 2500HD 8.1 Lifter Failure

2003 2500hd with 80k mostly towing miles on the truck. Totally stock. It's been well taken care of in terms of oil changes, etc. Just went one morning to start it up and it was squealing like a bad accessory bearing and with in a couple minutes of idle turned to a bad knock.

When I started tearing into it, I found a whole bunch of lifter bearings in the bottom of the pan along with the roller pin from the failed lifter.

Based on the indentation on the bottom of the lifter bore, I'd say that the roller pin came out, caught on the block casting when the cam came around and broke out that side of the lifter.

What I don't know is why the pin came out . . . or whether the roller bearings failed because the pin came out, or the other way around. The lifter roller itself is cracked - many of the needle bearings in the pan are crushed and broken as well.

The cam lobe isn't worn down (just scuffed) so it doesn't appear to have been a long running issue.

The inside of lifter bore itself isn't scarred, so it doesn't seem likely the roller pin was backing out slowly either.

Anyway, just wondering if this is some random fluke, or if anyone has seen anything like this before - or has any ideas why?

I've included a picture of the failed lifter with it's pin and roller - a picture of the bottom of the lifter bore - and a picture of the broken lifter when it was still in the engine

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lifter broken.jpg (49.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Lifter installed.jpg (44.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Lifter bore.jpg (39.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by OkDually; 01-27-2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: prefix/sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2020, 04:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

It sounds like a random failure to me. I've been on 4 different forums following GM vehicles, primarily GMT800 gassers, and don't recall seeing many lifter failures. The gas engines for the GMT800's seem pretty long lasting.

Wouldn't surprise me if you throw in a new cam & lifterss, and you get another 200k or more out of it.

I'm approaching 200k miles on my truck with a 6.0L lq4, and it's still running hard. Uses maybe a quart between 5k mile oil changes using synthetic 5w30.

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 01-27-2020 at 04:55 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2020, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Snorider
Diesel Fanatic

That's just random bad luck. Not an issue with the all the ones I've been around personally. And on my personal 8.1 I've got 215k or so and while I lost the headgasket and a water pump, that the biggest issues I've had. And it is 80% towing miles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

06 CCFB 3500 pump rub kit, air dog 4G, class V curt hitch, lots more to come.

04 Chev 2500HD 4x4 with the 8.1L/allision B&W flip hitch.

1993 2500 sliverado 350 nv4500

Not enough pickups for working and playing, but too many when servicing and modding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
LCPullman
Gear Grinder

Well, I've got it all put back together with a new cam/all new lifters and its running great - hopefully it stays that way.
Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Good stuff.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in