1980's john deere 750 tractor with yanmar 1.3l diesel - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Vehicles > Tractors
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Tractors Discuss anything farm tractor related.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
rattlindiesel92
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

1980's john deere 750 tractor with yanmar 1.3l diesel

My dad ended up buying a john deere 750 a couple years ago Ive used it alot to brushhog the fields behind the house and level out the driveways with the backblade it is a good tractor just lacking a little power (only 20 hp) it has the three cylinder 1.3L yanmar diesel engine and im looking for ideas and suggestions to add a little more power to it because even in a low gear it really boggs down cutting thicker grass and weeds with the 60 inch pull behind mower. Anyone tinker with these little japanese diesels before?

1982 GMC k10 350 sbc 700r4 3.73 gears.

2000 chevy silverado 1500 finally put to rest after a hard 350000 miles on original engine and trans died of frame rot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

You might try MyTractorForum.Com

I don't know about your specific motor, but I've seen threads on there where people added turbo's to their small engines.

Or you could just find a higher horsepower engine with a similar crankshaft and swap that in.

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
diesail
Holstein Supporter

They are very dependable motors. I have had several in boats and it always amazes me how you can put them away for the winter and they fire right back up in the spring with maybe one turn of the crank.

That said, short of a turbo I don't think you are going to find any extra power in there.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
rattlindiesel92
Diesel Apprentice

it is one tough reliable engine, while servicing the tractor last night found the left brake shoes hanging up, could be part of my problem. Gonna replace them and see how it does from there. I was thinking maybe a turbo from a vw tdi jetta theres a couple for sale around me that they dont want much for.

2000 chevy silverado 1500 finally put to rest after a hard 350000 miles on original engine and trans died of frame rot
Old 08-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
dangerfield69
Clutch

Can't see how a hanging brake is hindering your mowing, in fact, now that you can go faster it's going to be worse. It's only 20hp with a 5' mower, that's all she's got.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
mrrober
Gear Grinder

I had one of the John Deere 755 back in that era also. I had several issues just as you say yours is doing. I thought that I was going to just put in in the shop and rebuild it. Ahemmm, not so. Believe it or not I was told by several really good diesel mechanics that that motor is disposable. You can't rebuild them because of internal design. I then thought that I would just sleeve the cylinders. Again when you tear it apart you'll see that you can't. It's designed internally as a bunch of webbing. when you punch the cylinders for the sleeves the cutters on the bore will just break the casting and get hung up and really start tearing things up. Now, I say that as a fact back then and today someone may have a different style of boring equipment for that. Here's the real catch to your issue. That motor was only designed to last 600 to 700 hours. Not much, huh? Thanks, John Deere. I was told as a mechanic in a boat shop at the time you had to buy a complete engine - $4000.00, again that's back then. The good new is that they are absolutely complete. You do not need to swap anything out, not alternator or anything. It's all there. It only takes about 1/2 to 1 hour to swap it. It is a work horse little tractor. I replace the motor twice and I said enough! I sold it back to a FD dealership and bought me a Grand L 5030 Kubota. That tractor was awesome. The JD just got too expensive. I still have a bunch of brand new pieces around somewhere that you could have. It's been a long time since I've seen them though. Well, anyway that's what I found out and good luck.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
rattlindiesel92
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrober View Post
I had one of the John Deere 755 back in that era also. I had several issues just as you say yours is doing. I thought that I was going to just put in in the shop and rebuild it. Ahemmm, not so. Believe it or not I was told by several really good diesel mechanics that that motor is disposable. You can't rebuild them because of internal design. I then thought that I would just sleeve the cylinders. Again when you tear it apart you'll see that you can't. It's designed internally as a bunch of webbing. when you punch the cylinders for the sleeves the cutters on the bore will just break the casting and get hung up and really start tearing things up. Now, I say that as a fact back then and today someone may have a different style of boring equipment for that. Here's the real catch to your issue. That motor was only designed to last 600 to 700 hours. Not much, huh? Thanks, John Deere. I was told as a mechanic in a boat shop at the time you had to buy a complete engine - $4000.00, again that's back then. The good new is that they are absolutely complete. You do not need to swap anything out, not alternator or anything. It's all there. It only takes about 1/2 to 1 hour to swap it. It is a work horse little tractor. I replace the motor twice and I said enough! I sold it back to a FD dealership and bought me a Grand L 5030 Kubota. That tractor was awesome. The JD just got too expensive. I still have a bunch of brand new pieces around somewhere that you could have. It's been a long time since I've seen them though. Well, anyway that's what I found out and good luck.
interesting, ive seen rebuild kits, sleeves, pistons/rods, and every gasket on the engine for sale online but dont know if its for my engine or not... remanned engines still go for 3-4 grand so if it comes time for a rebuild or replace ill probably just get rid of the tractor, we only picked it up for around a couple thousand a few years ago with a couple of implements.

good news is it starts up every single time with no glow cycle with pretty much no blow by, have not done a compression test before on it but it seems healthy for an old well used tractor with i believe about 600-700 hours on it already

Old 10-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
diesail
Holstein Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlindiesel92 View Post
interesting, ive seen rebuild kits, sleeves, pistons/rods, and every gasket on the engine for sale online but dont know if its for my engine or not... remanned engines still go for 3-4 grand so if it comes time for a rebuild or replace ill probably just get rid of the tractor, we only picked it up for around a couple thousand a few years ago with a couple of implements.

good news is it starts up every single time with no glow cycle with pretty much no blow by, have not done a compression test before on it but it seems healthy for an old well used tractor with i believe about 600-700 hours on it already
That thing isn't even broken in. I have well over 2000 hours on my 4JH2 and have never done anything but change the oil.

Summit White

Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
rattlindiesel92
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesail View Post
That thing isn't even broken in. I have well over 2000 hours on my 4JH2 and have never done anything but change the oil.
thats what i was thinking, it must have been rarely used to pull around little trailers and mow what little grass the place had that we bought it from, i suspect it has ALOT of life left in her unless something catastrophic happens to it

Old 10-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
diesail
Holstein Supporter

There is a ton of life. In the marine world it is rare to see one not outlive the boat. I wish I knew exactly how many hours mine has. Could be as much as 3000, but I know it is over 2000. I have had two hour meters fail and have ran it for many seasons until I got around to changing the hour meter. I am over due for a valve adjustment but otherwise I have been told "just use it". And it a boat they work hard, it is not uncommon for it to run for 6 to 8 hours straight at 2800 rpm, never slowing down or stopping.

Summit White

Last edited by diesail; 10-13-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in