Homemade tool to lock the flywheel from turning - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > ZF-6 Aftermarket
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

ZF-6 Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket ZF6 upgrades as well as repairing & maintaining them.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 02:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mike_in_Canada
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Homemade tool to lock the flywheel from turning

I read alot of good tips here, thought to share this quick idea that worked great, only took 5 minutes to make. I'm changing over to a SMF at the moment.

To stop the flywheel from turing when removing the crank bolts, and if you don't have the GM tool (welded starter gear thing). I cut some teeth into a piece of 1/8" flatstock using an angle grinder, and a slot for a bolt, and fastened it in a bellhousing threaded hole.

That's it,
Mike

2002 Silverado 2500HD, green, 4x4, ZF 6 spd, manual transfer case, crew cab, short box, vinyl floors, trailer package, skid plates, BFG KO, Predator, Waag brush bar w/ Hella lamps.South Bend SMF & Clutch

Last edited by Mike_in_Canada; 10-18-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 03:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
farmer0_1
Diesel Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to farmer0_1

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

looks like it ought to work. i had a chunk of the ringgear off the old flywheel i heated and bent. in the mean time i ordered the real mccoy. come to think of it where did i put that thing?

84 chev k10 new crate 6.5 short box 4x4. 02 duramax 6speed stick excab vin#1GTHK291X2E188472. 84 mercedes 300d 5cylinder diesel 85 c10 6.2 suburban two wheel drive. 87 k20 6.2 four speed four wheel drive with a us gear two speed. 93 dodge cummins 3/4 ton 4x4 five speed. 01 toyota fourrunner 78 dodge 4x4 crewcab soon to be cummins powered and a stick. drove stickshifts all my life and am new member of the brotherhood of handshakers #82. number18 of the portland dp.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ben46a
Diesel Nut

I just bolt a short Chunk of chain from the block to one hole in the flywheel.
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
farmer0_1
Diesel Expert

worked for me until i wanted to change the harmonic balancer then i was stuck. air gun it off and on is what i was told by the local gm boys.
84 chev k10 new crate 6.5 short box 4x4. 02 duramax 6speed stick excab vin#1GTHK291X2E188472. 84 mercedes 300d 5cylinder diesel 85 c10 6.2 suburban two wheel drive. 87 k20 6.2 four speed four wheel drive with a us gear two speed. 93 dodge cummins 3/4 ton 4x4 five speed. 01 toyota fourrunner 78 dodge 4x4 crewcab soon to be cummins powered and a stick. drove stickshifts all my life and am new member of the brotherhood of handshakers #82. number18 of the portland dp.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
IOWA LLY
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer0_1 View Post
worked for me until i wanted to change the harmonic balancer then i was stuck. air gun it off and on is what i was told by the local gm boys.

DO NOT just use an air gun to re-install the balancer!!!!
Torque it to the proper spec with the proper tools.
You will not like what happens if it comes loose! I had a dealer with the same attitude really F-up my truck by not torquing it and simply using an impact.

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only)
Old 10-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
farmer0_1
Diesel Expert

i agree i bought the correct tool and have to change out the balancer one of these rainey days. again i agree with what you said and didn't think much of the experts that i was talking to.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Mythbuster

Armed Forces Club Member

Can this be installed with the engine and trans together?

It does not appear so, but maybe I am missing something?
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
farmer0_1
Diesel Expert

you pull the starter out and it uses the starter bolts. so yes the motor trans can be together.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Mythbuster

Armed Forces Club Member

I do not see how this homemade piece can engage the teeth since it is flat, the tool that can be bought for this deed is recesed into the starter hole, and this green piece is flat, so I just do not see how it will work.

I think he has it bolted to the Bellhousing bolt, and not the starter bolt.
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
JoshH
Diesel Superstar

Idaho Turbo Diesels Member

Why would you be pulling the flywheel (or pressure plate for that matter) with the trans installed?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in