LML: Confusing info on Allison Transmission - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Allison OEM Discuss repairing & maintaining an OEM Allison automatic transmission.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rvn4me
  • 1 Post By enahs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mgriff54
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Confusing info on Allison Transmission

I am getting close to 65,000km and my 2016 Silverado 3500hd and the GM dealer is saying it is time to flush the Transmission fluid. They say all they need to do is hook up a pump and flush it through there system. Is this truly what happens? What about a filter?
I had a 2004 GMC 2500 with the Allison and had the fluid done and replaced the filter but on my 2016 I am hearing different things.
Thanks for insight.

Last edited by OkDually; 03-04-2020 at 06:28 PM. Reason: prefix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Thread relocated over to "Allison OEM" for more appropriate answers to your questions

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Summer+ Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
mike8449
Sparkplug Hunter

I was a VW/Datsun mechanic ("Datsun" tells you how long ago that was!) years ago and I have since worked on all my own cars/trucks, but I can't imagine ever changing/flushing ATF without changing the filter(s). If nothing else, I'd want to drop the pan and see what's in the bottom. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about current procedures will enlighten us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgriff54 View Post
I am getting close to 65,000km and my 2016 Silverado 3500hd and the GM dealer is saying it is time to flush the Transmission fluid.
Well if you read your 2016 Chevrolet/GMC Duramax Diesel Supplement.
Service and Maintenance 11-6
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter. Filter is external on pickups and internal on vans.
156,000 km/97,500 mi

Have you read all the horror stories about Dealer flushing trans? If you like your trans don’t have them do it.
It’s very easy to drain and fill. I change my spin on filter every 15k. Internal filter doesn’t need changing.
There’s hundreds of threads and thousands of post on this.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/57...ust-drain.html

Automatic Transmission Service and Maintenance 11-9
DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Allison Transmission Only: For areas where ambient temperatures are below -40C (-40F) use Synthetic Transmission Fluid approved to Allison Transmission specification TES-295 (GM Part No. 12378515, in
Canada 88900701).

Last edited by Rvn4me; 03-05-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mgriff54
Heat Sink

Thanks for the info
Old 03-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
enahs
Diesel Champ

Per Allison, unless something has changed, a non pressurized refill is ok. But do not pressure flush. All that is really necessary is a dtrain and refill and change of the external filter. The internal filter is never changed except at rebuild or if something is trashed in the transmission — or if changing to the deep pan (which requires the deeper filter) It's actually not much of a filter at all. IMO, while you are changing fluid, it is worth changing to a TES-295 fluid, like Mobil Delvac ATF or Transynd.

Last edited by enahs; 03-05-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mgriff54
Heat Sink

Thank you all. I will do a drop.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
enahs
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgriff54 View Post
Thank you all. I will do a drop.
Waste of time. But to each his own.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

I believe one of the problems here is communication - specifically what is meant by 'flushing' the transmission. When I flush my transmission, what I am doing is directing the fluid return from the transmission cooler/radiator into a container for disposal, while providing new fluid into the transmission itself and the engine/transmission is doing the pumping. During the process the engine is started and stopped to pump out the old dirty fluid and to provide time to re-fill the trans with new fluid. Many people refer to this as the 'HOOT' method.

Other people refer to 'flushing' as the situation where a machine pumps new fluid under pressure thru a non-running engine/transmission, draining the old dirty fluid and leaving new fluid in it's place. And there have been many reports about problems with this procedure. From what I can tell, the reports are not specific enough about what is actually happening to know whether this 'flushing' is done properly or not.

When someone asks about 'flushing' their transmission, it is important to know exactly how the 'flushing' occurs. I would be very hesitant to let anyone 'flush' my transmission with a machine without knowing exactly how the process worked. I say that only because I have never seen a detailed enough description of the process and actual evidence as to whether it causes problems or not; and if problems do occur, what causes the problems. Anyone ever pre-oil a brand new engine? I certainly do. And what is so different about 'flushing' a transmission versus pre-oiling a new engine (except for old fluid)?

I 'flush' my brake fluid from time to time using a machine, a simple pressure feed of new fluid while draining the old fluid. And I 'flush' my steering fluid in a similar manner. No harm done.

Some people say 'flush' and have one thought in their head, and others say 'flush' and they have something different in their head. And it's often very hard to tell what they are really talking about.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 03-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
enahs
Diesel Champ

I have not checked Allison recommendations lately, but at one time they noted no pressure flushing. Non pressurized fill was ok. Transmission experts in earlier threads observe that pressurized flush runs the risk of pushing debris into the transmission valve system. Moreover, it's not at all necessary. Simple drain and fill is all that's required.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in