Question: Alison relearn - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Allison OEM Discuss repairing & maintaining an OEM Allison automatic transmission.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
mittens
High Compression

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Alison relearn

I have a new set of tunes for the truck. will be uploading them.

I have a edge Insite, so I can tell the trans to relearn.

my question is should I tell it to relearn on each tune, working my way up?

if so why? cause each time I "re learn" will it not forget the last thing it learned?

Or is the reason to do this, to make sure the trans is already use to some power, then it has that baseline and learns more power, and then more so your not telling a trans that's used to stock power, to out of no wear learn 100 hp tune?

the truck has tunes in it already and its holding a medium tune now that I have driven around and made a few pulls on so its use to some.

also, when I hit the relearn button I know to cycle through some full 1-2-3-4-5 shifts at increasingly throttle, but doe sit just stop when you turn truck off or what?

2007 C6 Z06, 754RWHP (Heads & Cam 427, Procharger @ 7lbs+meth)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
holmestransfer
Diesel Fanatic

Load the tune that you’ll be driving around on, and let it do its relearn on that one. Every time you do a re-learn it starts all over. I wouldn’t switch tunes more than you have to, since the transmission does need to adapt to more power when you switch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
mittens
High Compression

Well I get that I should do each tune. But no info on what all the teams needs? I have read tell it to re learn and then 25% 50% 75% 100% 4 runs through the gears.. but I’d say it was on a low tune and then tellingnit
To learn in a high one seems like it will cause it to slip. So trying to make sure I don’t limp it.

Did relearn and drove around all day and did variously throttle % 1-2-3-4 shifts so next will be 100% on that tune which is 75hp..
If that works will swap to 100 and redo process I guess.??

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
mittens
High Compression

Sorry my phone messed that all up, and I cant edit it.

My question is, when I click re learn. does it forget what it already knows?

for example, lets say its used to the 75hp tune, been driving it for 2 days, and did a rea learn on it. clicked relearn and did 25 and 50 % and 70% throttle take offs letting it shift. and then drove it for 2 days. will try 100% soon. so if all good and it hold that and no issues. will want to step up to my 100hp tune I plan to drive in 99% of the time unless towing.

so trans is used to 75+, and I hit re learn does it start over from some stock setting trying to learn and hold 100hp extra. or does it just tell the trans to pay attention and re learn and uses what it knows it needs for the 75hp to hold shifts and stuff and builds on that per say.??

Old 08-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
holmestransfer
Diesel Fanatic

Yes, it forgets what it learned every time you hit relearn. You misunderstood me. Don’t do that on every tune. Load up the tune that you’ll be driving on the most and hit relearn. Do some driving around and make some pulls like you illustrated. There’s no point in doing a re-learn on each tune, since it forgets everything every time you hit relearn. The less you switch between tunes, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
mittens
High Compression

ok thanks. so me getting the trans use to the 75hp tune has zer benefit if I am going to hit re learn and drive the 100hp tune all the time.

Oh well at least now I can make sure trans hold 75hp with some driving and relearn before testing it 100%. if all good will re start process on the 100hp tune and hope its fine. I did not buy truck to race or flat foot it at 65mph in that tune but woul dbe nice if I wanted to get on it droma red light know it will hold 1-2-3-4 with the 100hp tune and not break crap. thanks for the info.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
mittens
High Compression

this no editing crap sucks.....

also side note, I don't plan to swap tunes. I will bein the 100hp, or the heavy tow with tow haul on.. so should be fine the other tunes where place holders and there just cause.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittens View Post
this no editing crap sucks......
You're almost at the finish line. Just get over the 25 posts mark and the restrictions are lifted.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Old 08-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
mittens
High Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkDually View Post
You're almost at the finish line. Just get over the 25 posts mark and the restrictions are lifted.

Cool 4 more then. just stupid I cant edit spelling or content when I just clicked post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in