Transmission shifting issues - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Allison OEM Discuss repairing & maintaining an OEM Allison automatic transmission.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
BAMotorsports
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

None of this explains the erratic Trans Temp readings. You may have other issues. Trans internal wiring harness. bulkhead connector at trans wet with ATF, trans temp sensor......

2003 2500HD DuraMax EC SB 4x4 Allison
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
MIKAHC38
Block Heater

Thanks much for that info Brian. I haven't even thought about the trans temp gauge anymore since trying to track down the fuel related issue. When I first saw the trans temp gauge erratically moving it was like a door stop spring bouncing around. It was that erratic. It wasn't like a gradual change type of erratic. It was more like very quick flickers. I wiill check the things you mentioned just to be sure it isn't that. I had thoughts it miight be just the gears in the gauge slipping or something.

I haven't noticed it flicker since though.

Tonight I did pull the fuel filter off and poured the fluid in it into a half gallon jug to visually inspect the fluid to see if it looked dirty or had debris in it. I shined a flashlight into both ends of the fuel filter to see how it looked and it looked ok but I know that probably really doesn't mean anything but it wasn't like there was any cast iron flakes, or dirty looking fuel or anything.

I am going to go to a local auto parts store and get a fuel pressure gauge kit to test at the shrader valve to see what I get there. Hopefully they have a vacuum gauge kit too but not sure to see what vacuum pressure readings I get.

This weekend I will put on a new fuel filter and rebuild the fuel filter head assembly and then do the fuel pressure and vacuum tests to see what turns up. Then go from there.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Seachief
Low Boost

Your Allison has a mechanical linkage that actuates the internals and shifts the electric
switch on the outside of the transmission housing. The outside switch sends the position of the linkage to the computer running your transmission. I've had the switch go out in both our 2002 2500HD and our 2004 3500. There were no codes generated when they failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
MIKAHC38
Block Heater

FIXED: Transmission shifting issues

I believe it is now fixed. I rebuilt the fuel filter housing with new orings and replaced the fuel filter. Ran it down the road and it shifts fine. Took to auto parts store and had codes cleared after driving it for 15 minutes. Ran down the road some more and up some hills and accelerated up the hills and it shifted fine and never bogged down. After about another 15 minutes of driving I took it to another auto parts store and had codes pulled and they were still clear. Hopefully it remains that way.

Thank all of y'all for your help, advice, and suggestions.

As far as the transmission temp gauge... it has not acted funny or weird since that one time.

Still going to watch it though.

Thanks so much. Greatly appreciated.

Mikah
Old 06-29-2019, 10:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Micah

It's time for you to get your own code reader, one that will read and clear P and C and B and U codes. Won't cost much and will come in very handy just when other options just aren't so available.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 06-29-2019, 10:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
MIKAHC38
Block Heater

Ron,

I actually looked at some at the auto parts store. They have a Bosch 1300 I think it is but not sure if it would be the right one to get. I think around $300. It apparently read and cleared my codes because I think that is what they used when I requested them to pull my codes each time.

I would also like to use a scan tool to be able to see live data.. fuel pressure of injector pump, injectors, etc.

Any recommendations and their costs?

I know I see a lot of people using Tech 2 and EFI Live... but not sure of their costs either.

My truck is completely stock and mostly original.

I wouldn't mind getting a god scanner for no other purpose than diagnosing.

Recommendations and suggestions are welcomed.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

EFI V2, cheaper and software is free online
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in