LMM: 08 Hanging shifts or takes a bit to shift between gears? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Allison OEM Discuss repairing & maintaining an OEM Allison automatic transmission.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Octane
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

08 Hanging shifts or takes a bit to shift between gears?

Hey guys, So I've tried googling and haven't found what I'm looking for.

I've noticed the odd time, maybe under moderate throttle its like it hangs for a bit between shifting, Rpm's climb as if youve locked into the gear and it doesn't shift like it normally would and takes an extra 2 or 3 seconds, OR towing my side by side on the trailer, it is probably about ~2300# same thing, It's happened more often under that scenario however it does not always do it. I'll take off from a light and with light moderate throttle and It'll hang a bit before it does shift. I believe It's always 1st to second? maybe 2nd to 3rd?

Then today which was odd which makes me think somethings going on for sure is that I drove across train tracks and into a merge up the road, So It was likely in 2nd gear going for 3rd? but I went to start speeding up, not heavy on the gas. I was going probably 30km/hr and road is 60km/hr, I thought I had accidently clicked it into manual mode and it was holding the gear, It just rev'd up and It never shifted until I let off the gas then it went, This all occured over probably 5 seconds or so and was 100% abnormal and did not set a light. I've had times playing going up a hill and holding it wide open and it was like a bang or jerk as if it slammed the gear hard, I think it pulled or lunged the truck ahead quick in that moment. so hard that I let off the gas instantly, I'm going about 80km/hr wide open so probably 3rd into 4th? I've only done it twice and I never floor it anymore, rarely past 1/2 throttle these days lol.

Back ground on the truck, I bought it used at approx 320k km, It was a work truck, had 35" tires on it, he hauled his heavy equipment, It was stock tuning at the time and not deleted, I noticed it would lug along pretty good down the roads when you really should be shifting. So I'm sure it's had some abuse the tranny!. I pulled the lift and its back to stock tires with a delete on it but no added power. I believe I had torque converter shutter when the 35's were on and I had about 1500# in the truck box going over a mountain pass, it'd cruise at 1600 rpm or so at highway speed and had all the torque to keep pulling but if I layed into It I had some shuttering, learned from that and force it to run a lower gear for higher rpm now.

I've noticed at times when I have played around, It would either get up and go really good, or other times it just felt like it was slipping. It goes better if I lay into it with tow/haul mode, I believe thats because the torque converter is locked up? say a roll into it from 50 km/hr itll pull good but with out it its doggy like.

Also NO check engine light. I have a scanner, I had 2 times before when it was about -30C out where I fired the truck up and I got the engine code on from the transmission stating "transmission requests engine mil light". Never had it happen since and thats the only time in my ownership of the truck, which is over 5 years now.

1995 Chevy 2500 6.5l Turbo Diesel w/ intake restrictions removed . Diamond eye 4" exhaust straight piped, HX40W-II turbo with a K&N 4" pod ( temporary), ARP head studs & new heads, injectors w/ pop @ 2300 psi, Buddy "3" banger chip, VIN F, Currently running 24# boost-ish

2007.5 Chevy 3500 HD LMM CCLB.

Last edited by Octane; 06-01-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

So what were your codes that you had two times would help shed light on your problems.
Otherwise change both filters and fluid.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 06-04-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Octane
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
So what were your codes that you had two times would help shed light on your problems.
Otherwise change both filters and fluid.
I'm unsure of what the codes were from the transmission it's self other than the check engine light being requested on. I'm going to see about getting them read then cleared in the next day or 2 hopefully and will record what was in it for codes.

I never realized there was a filter in the pan, I always did the external spin on filter. I changed the oil about 15k km ago now but who's to say the previous owner never did the internal one all this time.
1995 Chevy 2500 6.5l Turbo Diesel w/ intake restrictions removed . Diamond eye 4" exhaust straight piped, HX40W-II turbo with a K&N 4" pod ( temporary), ARP head studs & new heads, injectors w/ pop @ 2300 psi, Buddy "3" banger chip, VIN F, Currently running 24# boost-ish

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

GM Part :19329654
FILTER, Oil Pan Pump Suction
FILTER,AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID(INTERNAL)

Last edited by Rvn4me; 06-05-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Octane
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
GM Part :19329654
FILTER, Oil Pan Pump Suction
FILTER,AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID(INTERNAL)

Thanks for the part number! I'll look into replacing that filter in the next week or 2 here.

I finally got my trans "scanned" but yet he couldn't get any codes to show as if I had none, Used EFI live. So we re-set the transmission shift learning and all that. I suppose time will tell on that end of things.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
tnDan
Glow Plug

Has your shift points improved any?

Some of your issues sound like mine.
Feels like the trans is in tow mode all the time. Just hangs at 2200 rpm without up shifting like I'd expect it to.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Unless you've explicitly cleared the codes using a scanner, the tcm should report one or more codes in it's history, from when it generated that "transmission requests engine mil light" code (likely P0700).

Are you sure you were using a code reader that can read TCM codes?
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Octane
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnDan View Post
Has your shift points improved any?

Some of your issues sound like mine.
Feels like the trans is in tow mode all the time. Just hangs at 2200 rpm without up shifting like I'd expect it to.
It's a really intermittent issue and only had that happen the once, but no engine light from it. Doing the trans relearn maybe has helped a bit, maybe it also thought I was being racy or something? I notice my truck likes to rev up and boost up easy at say 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it'll shift up down, revs go up and I'll have 16# boost even though I really wanted a more mild accel lol. I have been to busy to yet swap the main trans filter out yet, me time is rare to come by! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Unless you've explicitly cleared the codes using a scanner, the tcm should report one or more codes in it's history, from when it generated that "transmission requests engine mil light" code (likely P0700).

Are you sure you were using a code reader that can read TCM codes?
The code reader was efi live the autocal, it's supposed to be able to do all of that stuff, I do find it weird that there was no codes, maybe I'll have to see about finding another scanner to try as well for the heck of it.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Octane
Diesel Boss

I eventually managed to do my pan filter, oil and filter looked fine and no metal on botton of pan. I also took the time to install the trans go Jr shift kit. Since then the shifts have been better for sure and have not noticed my issue I had seemed to have, I believe they considered it maybe a shift "flare". Probably have a month or more on it since then and towing my side by side and the usual stuff. It's been good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in